Country
    Flanders Flanders
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Arrow Mayflower History

http://www.mayflowerhistory.com/

MayflowerHistory.com is the Internet's most complete, thoroughly researched and accurate web site dealing with the Mayflower, the Pilgrims, and early Plymouth Colony. This web site was originally created back in 1994 as the Mayflower Web Pages, and later moved to its own domain, MayflowerHistory.com, in 2002.

Teaching about the Pilgrims is fraught with difficulties, due to the fact that there are so many myths and misconceptions about them that have become engrained into popular culture. Teachers also have had very limited access to accurate historical information. The Internet itself is littered with poorly-researched "Thanksgiving" lesson plans and web sites.

The Fourth World Documentation Project, for example, put out a lesson plan in 1986, which has found itself onto the Internet, where it is now widely available. This lesson plan is so poorly researched, and the facts so clearly wrong, that I have dedicated an entire page to factually debunking it.

Most elementary school teachers will dedicate at least a few days around Thanksgiving to teaching about the Mayflower and the Pilgrims. Even though MayflowerHistory.com is written for an adult audience, you should be able to get a lot of useful information with which to teach your students. The Thanksgiving information page, and the Girls on the Mayflower page are popular with teachers of younger students. Also you should visit the Common Myths, and Frequently Asked Questions from Students pages.

MayflowerHistory.com also contains short biographies and genealogical information on every Mayflower passenger, which can be useful to students and teachers who want to learn about or study specific Mayflower passengers. Elementary school students often are more interested in passengers such as babies Oceanus Hopkins and Peregrine White; middle school students tend to show more interest in teenager Priscilla Mullins, doctor Samuel Fuller, and the orphaned More children; and high school students will likely focus on Governor William Bradford and Edward Winslow, Elder William Brewster, and military captain Myles Standish. MayflowerHistory.com also has short biographies for many of the Native Americans, including Squanto, Hobomok, and Massasoit.

High school teachers will probably be more interested in pages dealing with social and political issues, so I would recommend the Crime and Punishment, Indian Relations, and Religious Beliefs pages as starting points for discussion. Also, higher level students should be introduced to some of the writings of the Mayflower passengers. The full texts of most everything written by a Mayflower passenger can be found on MayflowerHistory.com under the Full Text Primary Sources link on the side menu. The all-time classic is Governor William Bradford's History Of Plymouth Plantation, popular at the high school and collegiate level; but students might get more enjoyment reading the first-hand "explorer journal" style account found in Mourt's Relation.

And if you can't find it on MayflowerHistory.com, I am available to answer questions--see the Contact MayflowerHistory.com page for my contact information.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

Post Re: Mayflower History

Yup, I've got some Pilgrims in my family.