Thread: The evolutionary outcome of white Australians?

Last Online
    Thursday, March 15th, 2012 @ 05:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Question The evolutionary outcome of white Australians?

What will be the outcome on the evolutionary scale of the white European race that have settled in Australia, given the fact that the climate, (being the hot & harsh land it is) is not suited to these races.
    Many Australians already have that 'weathered' look and a ruddy tanned complexion. Over time, will a new breed evolve? ....Will excessive climate exposure prevail the founding genes in the end?.

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 10:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Post Re: The evolutionary outcome of white Australians?

This is a good question and I'm wondering if Atlanto-Med or Dr. Solar Wolff might have some insight?

Time will tell, I suppose. There is a similar situation in the hotter and drier parts of the US--although, being in climate controlled setting much of the time may negate any changes that would have happened had "we" spent more time in the natural environment.

Sideways to the Sun
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, September 18th, 2008 @ 04:55 PM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Rebel
    Politics
    Anti-Neophilia
    Religion
    Traditional Catholicism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I assume that sexual selection will also play a part.
    If there is not an overwhelming climatic selective pressure, then the choosing of mates will also influence the future outcome.

Obviously if people prefer to mate with pale-skinned people, then pale-skinned people will remain an important component.
    I think inter-racial mixing is more likely to see a demise in fair-skinned folks, than climatic adaption

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Country
    Flanders Flanders
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skadi Ju87
    What will be the outcome on the evolutionary scale of the white European race that have settled in Australia, given the fact that the climate, (being the hot & harsh land it is) is not suited to these races.
    Many Australians already have that 'weathered' look and a ruddy tanned complexion. Over time, will a new breed evolve? ....Will excessive climate exposure prevail the founding genes in the end?.
    Before the secondary and tertiary sector in economy predominated our existence, the Europeans carved out a living in the open, exposed to all weathers and winds, in fact, there might be a correlation between neolitization and the warming-up of our planet with its damaging effect on the ozon layer, still while over the course of millenia there are fluctuations in pigmentary distribution, we are not specifically darker than our ancestors.

People who live and work outdoors might get that wrinkled, bit tanned weathered look; it's more a reaction to hard climatic conditions than a purposeful acclimatization .
    Last edited by Frans_Jozef; Wednesday, September 1st, 2004 at 05:26 PM.

Last Online
    Thursday, March 15th, 2012 @ 05:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frans_Jozef
    Before the secondary and tertiary sector in economy predominated our existence, the Europeans carved out a living in the open, exposed to all weathers and winds, in fact, there might be a correlation between neolitization and the warming-up of our planet with its damaging effect on the ozon layer, still while over the course of millenia there are fluctuations in pigmentary distribution, we are not specifically darker than our ancestors.

People who live and work outdoors might get that wrinkled, bit tanned weathered look; it's more a reaction to hard climatic conditions than a purposeful acclimatization .

I suppose I am thinking way too much into the future evolutionary outcome....but I definitely think a gradual change will definitely occur. This land is harsh (even more-so...with what I believe..the damage to that protective (ozone) layer we silly humans have abused & squandered to an almost bear mininum....now burning & blistering our pale skin within 10 mins)...I can feel the difference since my 30 years of existence. It is getting hotter here...One cannot stand in the open sun during the months of Spring & Summer (& Autumn, in Queensland) for 10 to 20 mins maximum without feeling like you are being literally cooked and browned (in an oven....the Sun feels like the red hot element of this cooking device ).....
    I was born here in Australia and I have still not climatised...like many & many Australians before & after me. We have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world...European skin is not mean't for this country...So, with all new settlers of a new land & climate I think will have to change by the natural aspects of climate influencing our final outcome of a darker skinned race.