Religion
    occultism & Nature worship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Post Re: Canadian Nationalism?

Quote Originally Posted by The Blond Beast
    Don't be so bitter simply because Canada beat Finland (your team) to win the 2004 World Cup of Hockey and become the first to do so with a perfect record (6-0-0).

A splendid sight indeed:

You're only proving his point. The rest of the world already thinks of Canada as "America Lite." Canada is so politically timid that they immediately caved to the Bush administration's demands that Canada refuse asylum to Americans fleeing the draft after Iran is invaded. If hockey is truly the nation's greatest accomplishment, then something is seriously amiss. I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm obviously not pro-American nationalism either, I just think that relying solely on sports for national pride is particularly absurd.
    Last edited by Stríbog; Friday, September 24th, 2004 at 03:36 AM.

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 12th, 2005 @ 11:45 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid-Baltid (Aistin)
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Occupation
    college student
    Politics
    Environmentalism and eugenics
    Religion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

CANADIANS

Racial Characteristics:
    Hard to tell a Canadian from an extremely boring regular white person unless he's dressed to go outdoors. Very little is known of the Canadian country since it is rarely visited by anyone but the Queen and illiterate sport fishermen. It is thought to resemble a sort of arctic Nebraska. It's reported that Canadians keep pet French people. If true, this is their only interesting trait. At any rate, they are apparently able to train Frenchmen to play hockey, which is more than any European has ever been able to do.

Good Points:
    Still have plenty of Indians to abuse.

Proper Forms of Address:
    Bud, mac, mister, hey you.

Some Examples of Canadian Repartee:
    Two Canadians are talking in a bar. One Canadian says, "Who was that lady I saw you with last night?"
    "That was my wife." replies the other.

http://www.nationallampoon.com/flash...reigners5.html

Last Online
    Sunday, November 19th, 2006 @ 06:33 AM
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    France France
    Project Manager
    Politics
    Moderate
    Religion
    I am a man of science and reason
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ginormous
    If there are any glaring facts which I am missing out on, which make Canadian Nationalism quite impossible, I have yet to see them.
    Have you given any thought to the fact that the government of Canada has an official policy of multiculturalism?

Nationalism is all about having a grassroots attachment to one's nation.

For the past three decades Canada's national identity has been highjacked by politicians, bureaucrats and special interest groups who have taken a top-down approach to defining what is Canadian.

The end result is a country in which artificial dictates (promotion of unskilled third world immigration, reverse discrimination, watered down Canadian history in the school curriculum, etc.) have resulted in more changes in the past 50 years than others countries have undergone in 500 years.

With every passing day Canada is becoming less of a nation and more of an abstraction engineered by a ruling elite of liberal twits who think nation building is best achieved with feel good catch-phrases.

To learn more, do a google search of the words "finestone" and "no culture"

The number of third-world hut dwellers in Canada is reaching alarming proportions. Their demographics are changing the very fabric of our society. The result is no so much a broadening of ethnic ghettos, but the creation of actual foreign colonies populated by miscreants whose sense of loyalty and national pride lies not in their adoptive country but remains with their backward shithole homeland.

Again, do a google search using "Canada" along with the words "tamil tigers" or "Kadr familiy"

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, February 9th, 2006 @ 07:40 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Stríbog
    You're only proving his point. The rest of the world already thinks of Canada as "America Lite."
    Canada, a young country, just happens to take pride in its hockey -- so what? Since when has this provided the basis for "Canadian Nationalism"?

Canada is so politically timid that they immediately caved to the Bush administration's demands that Canada refuse asylum to Americans fleeing the draft after Iran is invaded.
    Source?

Are you upset that you'll be unable to scurry into Canada (as your male relatives did during Vietnam) to avoid dieing for neo-cons?

Regardless, at least Canada was not so timid so as to join the shill known as "The Coalition Of The Willing".

If hockey is truly the nation's greatest accomplishment, then something is seriously amiss.
    What is America's greatest accomplishment? The fact that 130-140 million Americans go out of their way to watch the Super Bowl?

Having a high standard of living is certainly more important in Canada -- hockey is simply what most recognize as distinctly Canadian. Then again, what is more benign, taking pride in sport and rationality or lauding ignorance and the domination of impoverished Third World nations?

Last Online
    Thursday, July 27th, 2006 @ 09:12 AM
    Subrace
    Other
    Race Realism/Hereditarian
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't be so bitter simply because Canada beat Finland (your team) to win the 2004 World Cup of Hockey and become the first to do so with a perfect record (6-0-0).
    True, although my original post was made prior to that occurance.

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 12th, 2005 @ 11:45 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid-Baltid (Aistin)
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Occupation
    college student
    Politics
    Environmentalism and eugenics
    Religion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Blond Beast
    Canada, a young country, just happens to take pride in its hockey -- so what? Since when has this provided the basis for "Canadian Nationalism"?
    OK, what else is Canada known for? Molson? Saying "eh" and "aboot"?

Are you upset that you'll be unable to scurry into Canada (as your male relatives did during Vietnam) to avoid dieing for neo-cons?
    Actually my eligible male relatives were in active service during Vietnam, but that's neither here nor there and is not even something of which I am proud. But yes, I would like to avoid dying for neo-cons. I don't consider this cowardly; I consider it quite rational. I was planning to go to Europe if they reenacted the draft anyway.

Regardless, at least Canada was not so timid so as to join the shill known as "The Coalition Of The Willing".
    Germany is more of the NWO's bitch than Canada is and Germany did not join, either.

What is America's greatest accomplishment? The fact that 130-140 million Americans go out of their way to watch the Super Bowl?
    lol I said America was no better and that I was not defending modern American society in any way. I just fail to see what makes Canada so great compared to America. America at the very least has produced a substantial amount of science and the occasional decent literary figure.

Having a high standard of living is certainly more important in Canada
    LOL yeah, I hear the Communist health care system is working really well... are the immigration situations in Vancouver and Toronto helping the standard of living?

Then again, what is more benign, taking pride in sport and rationality or lauding ignorance and the domination of impoverished Third World nations?
    Once again, where did I defend American policy?

Sorry if I offended any of you 51st Staters i was just hoping for a lively discussion.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, February 9th, 2006 @ 07:40 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Anonymity.

lol I said America was no better and that I was not defending modern American society in any way. I just fail to see what makes Canada so great compared to America. America at the very least has produced a substantial amount of science and the occasional decent literary figure.
    I never stated that Canada was better than the US. As for science, it's apparent to that the US imports most of its intelligence/talent. I'm confident that most Americans don't realize that it was an honorary member of the SS who had to put them into space after their laughable response to Sputnik.

It's also obvious that America is moribund if "The Catcher in the Rye" can be considered a literary classic.

Keep in mind that there are more people in California than there are in all of Canada.

LOL yeah, I hear the Communist health care system is working really well... are the immigration situations in Vancouver and Toronto helping the standard of living?
    Of course there are problems -- I never stated otherwise; it's just that Canadians are more concerned with their standard of living than with other (external) issues.

Last Online
    Monday, March 19th, 2007 @ 02:25 AM
    Subrace
    Borreby
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Occupation
    Fisherman
    Politics
    Nation, Family and preservation
    Religion
    zutreffender Katholischer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Careful Stríbog those are the kind of comments that gave Jacobite the boot
    We come from the land of the ice and snow from the midnight sun where the hot spring blows
    Hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands to fight the horde sing and cry valhalla i am coming
    On we sweep with threshing oar our only goal will be the western shore
    We come from the land of the ice and snow from the midnight sun where the hot spring blows
    How soft your fields of green can whisper tales of gore of how we calmed the tides of war we are your overlords
    On we sweep with threshing oar our only goal will be the western shore
    So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins
    for peace and trust can win the day despite all your losings

Last Online
    Thursday, March 17th, 2005 @ 03:08 PM
    Subrace
    Why is this a required field?
    Politics
    Constitutional Monarchy
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Telperion
    That isn't correct. Under the Treaty of Westminster in 1931, Canada ceased to be a British dominion, and became a fully sovereign state. The patriation of the constitution in 1981 was the last step in severing any formal ties between the Westminster Parliament and Canada. The Queen is still the legal head of state, but that does not mean that Canada is not a sovereign country - rather, it means that the Queen is the head of state of several sovereign countries.
    The keyword here is "sovereign". Sure, Canada is a "nation" among other entities represented at certain gatherings, but that does not make it sovereign set apart from GB. Having a separate parliament is politically expedient - given the technology available at the time, it was not pratical to govern all at Westminster. Still isn't, really. That does not make us any less British, we're only regionally divided. And Yes, Canada's official title is still that of a Dominion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stribog
    LOL And what is Germany known for in America? Hitler, wienerschnitzel, BMWs? I don't see what you could possibly be trying to prove with such a comment.

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 26th, 2005 @ 03:22 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Babbage
    The keyword here is "sovereign". Sure, Canada is a "nation" among other entities represented at certain gatherings, but that does not make it sovereign set apart from GB.
    That isn't correct, as a matter of domestic constitutional or international law. Canada is a fully sovereign state, as I explained above. There's little point in an argument about this; consult a reputable political science textbook on Canadian politics (e.g. Jackson and Jackson), or on Constitutional Law (e.g. Hogg). For the international law definition of "sovereignty", you can check a text like Akehurst's (7th ed.), and you'll see Canada meets all the criteria. And the official name used to be the Dominion of Canada, but is now simply Canada (consult the federal government's website).

Again, in Canada and the UK we have two sovereign countries that formally share the same head of state, curious as that may seem. That doesn't render the country's British heritage less significant.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678