Thread: Bisexual Viking Linked to Seahenge

You are not wrong, who deem / That my days have been a dream Johannes de León's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, April 15th, 2012 @ 11:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Subrace
    Atlanto-Baskid
    Nationalism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Question Bisexual Viking Linked to Seahenge

Bisexual Viking Linked to Seahenge
    By Jennifer Viegas, Discovery News

An ancient wooden carving of the bisexual Viking god Odin suggests the prehistoric timber circle monument Seahenge and another, even older, structure might have included totem pole-like carvings, according to archaeologists who have excavated the over 4,000-year-old British wood monuments.

Because Odin was a mythological figure in prehistoric religion, the possible link between the carving and the monuments could mean that the mysterious circles held religious, funerary, or magical significance for the late Neolithic people who constructed them on Holme beach in Norfolk, England.

Statue of Odin
    This wooden carving of the bisexual Viking god Odin was created at the time as the neolithic wooden circles in England. Archaeologists postulate that the wooden poles used to make the circles were carved as the statue is, resulting in totem-pole-like structures.

Archaeologists connected the unlikely object with the circles after the idol, found several decades ago in the Thames Estuary, recently was radiocarbon dated to 2,250 B.C. This year coincides with the construction of Seahenge, a wooden monument built out of a giant, overturned tree stump surrounded by a circle of timbers.

“ Archaeologists now know that these distinctive features are deliberate, and that the idol is an early representation of the later Viking god named Odin.

At first, the carved object puzzled scientists, who could not determine if it was a man or a woman, or why its left eye appeared to have been mutilated.

Marie Taylor, Marketing Officer of the Colchester Castle Museum, which houses the Odin carving, told Discovery News, "Archaeologists now know that these distinctive features are deliberate, and that the idol is an early representation of the later Viking god named Odin. Odin could change his sex at will from man to woman, and he lost the use of his left eye so that he could see into the future."

Mike Pitts, editor of British Archaeology and the author of the book "Hengeworld," told Discovery News that the Odin idol and the timber circles all originate from a region in England known as East Anglia.

Pitts suggests the East Anglians who carved Odin might have been involved in the construction of Seahenge, which was removed from its beach home in 1999 due to erosion concerns.

According to a report published in the current issue of British Archaeology magazine, a second, older circle monument, named Holme 2, recently was found near Seahenge. This second monument has two central logs surrounded by a ring of rods and twigs. It remains at the beach site.

Because the idol indicates prehistoric East Anglians were representing humans through woodcarvings, Pitts thinks it is possible Seahenge and Holme 2 contained similar carvings, which since would have worn away.

"At Seahenge there was a thin pole just outside (its) entrance and five complete poles that seem to be significantly sited, and at Holme 2 there were four poles, in pairs at either end of a hypothetical bier or coffin that might have rested on the two dished logs that lay at the center," Pitts said. "These are all possible carved timbers."

While Pitts and Mark Brennand, who led the Seahenge excavation, liken the possible carved timbers to Native American totem poles, Pitts said this is due to "parallel invention," and not because of any kind of ancient cultural exchange.

It remains unclear how and why Holme 2 was built, but Pitts and Brennand believe cut marks on Seahenge's timbers indicate a group of 51 gathered at the site, raised Seahenge, and then may have "simply walked away, their obligations fulfilled, and the feat became history."

Brennand, author of the British Archaeology report, wrote that at Seahenge, "There may be references to builders and astronomical events, and the large number of people involved emphasizes the communal statement: but the main motivation seems to have been to place the tree stump in the right lace, in the right way, within its own wall of oak posts."

Seahenge now is in storage and is scheduled for public display at King's Lynn Museum in England next year. Odin is on loan to a Danish museum, but will return to Colchester at the end of November.

[ Source ]

All people are racist, some people are honest :)
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, July 16th, 2009 @ 01:25 AM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Subrace
    Mostly Alpine, with Nord and Med
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    racist
    Religion
    other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Bisexual Viking My Ass

Quote Originally Posted by lg
    Archaeologists connected the unlikely object with the circles after the idol, found several decades ago in the Thames Estuary, recently was radiocarbon dated to 2,250 B.C. This year coincides with the construction of Seahenge, a wooden monument built out of a giant, overturned tree stump surrounded by a circle of timbers.

.... Pitts suggests the East Anglians who carved Odin might have been involved in the construction of Seahenge, which was removed from its beach home in 1999 due to erosion concerns.
    I thought that Odin was introduced to Briton by the Anglo Saxons ?

I thought the Anglo Saxons got to Briton just slightly later than 2250 B.C. ? ( What's 2700 years or so amongst Discovery channel "researchers" ? )

Is it just me or does anyone sense a PC pro fag agenda to this article ?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, September 5th, 2008 @ 06:36 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Post Re: Bisexual Viking My Ass

Quote Originally Posted by Tricknologist

I thought the Anglo Saxons got to Briton just slightly later than 2250 B.C. ? ( What's 2700 years or so amongst Discovery channel "researchers" ? )

It looks like you have "Discovered" the truth, Tricknologist.

Account Disabled on Request
    Last Online
    Friday, January 8th, 2010 @ 08:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    Lappland Lappland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Post Re: Bisexual Viking Linked to Seahenge

Androgynous would be a better word than bisexual.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, December 29th, 2004 @ 10:23 PM
    Subrace
    Nord, Med, Alp, Amer, Sud
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Democratic Communist
    Religion
    Religious Pluralism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Odin may've been introduced to Britain by the Anglo-Saxons, or more likely by the Vikings who raided the island along with Ireland.

The Anglo-Saxons didn't come to Britain in large amounts until the fifth century. I don't know where you got the B.C. idea from.

All people are racist, some people are honest :)
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, July 16th, 2009 @ 01:25 AM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Subrace
    Mostly Alpine, with Nord and Med
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    racist
    Religion
    other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ogmios22188
    Odin may've been introduced to Britain by the Anglo-Saxons, or more likely by the Vikings who raided the island along with Ireland.

The Anglo-Saxons didn't come to Britain in large amounts until the fifth century. I don't know where you got the B.C. idea from.
    Dude, that's the point I was trying to make.

The B.C. date was from the original article.

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 09:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Post Re: Bisexual Viking Linked to Seahenge

"Bisexual' is an unfortunate choice of terminology inasmuch as it implies a particular type of sexual bewhaviour (about which, in the case of Odinn, we can surely know nothing.) The figure is androgynous, of ambiguous sexual anatomy, implying nothing about Odinn's sexual behaviour.

Sideways to the Sun
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, September 18th, 2008 @ 04:55 PM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Rebel
    Politics
    Anti-Neophilia
    Religion
    Traditional Catholicism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Exclamation Re: Bisexual Viking Linked to Seahenge

Is that article for real? A schoolchild could likely get their facts correct regarding this article.

Odin being a pre-historic Viking deity whose statue was made during the Neolithic era? Where does one begin.

And I agree that "bisexual" is a completely inaccurate description of the supposed ability to change ones appearance from male to female.

Are you sure this isn't a late April fools?

Sideways to the Sun
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, September 18th, 2008 @ 04:55 PM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Rebel
    Politics
    Anti-Neophilia
    Religion
    Traditional Catholicism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Most likely Woden was intoduced into the British Isles by the Anglo-Saxons, and later as Odin by the Norse until their Christianisation, yes.