Thursday, November 20th, 2008 @ 08:58 PM
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Osteuropid- Paleoeuropid

As we know anthropologic term describing group of traits is something different then “look”. One can sometimes differ Alpine from France and Bavaria or Carpathia but they all belongs to general well described group on the N. border of stronger Armenoidal admixtures (Neolithic?).
    The same relates to Nordic group. For example one can recognize Rjazan Type – Corded as strange but its fits well metrically with NW types (Tronder?) definition.

Nordic “ideal” even modified ( when anthropologist realized that it consist only few percent in Germany and 11% in Sweden) is rather loose group of traits correlated (sometimes) only in so close indexes like FI and NI (I hope everybody understand natural correlation in face shape) but not correlated with pigmentation. I do not want to act as antinordicist but after reading detailed studies I have to admit that the unity of “Nordic traits” is rather theoretical and anthrop. practice do not prove the theory of racial type’s stableness. I think I should agree with Polak in understanding Europe as anthr. and genetic continuum.

As we know Nordic variants (over 50% cranial similarity to Nordic then other races (or Irano-Nordic according to your Greek friend + light pigmentation) are quite numerous. Both East Baltic (also very common in E Sweden)- (well known snub nosed brachycephalized Nordic/Lapponoid) and West Baltic- robust Nordic/Cromagnon +(East Baltic?) quite similar to Fallish (Nordic/CM/Med) are local variants of Nordic as well as Continental Nordic (Arya type) and Littoral Nordic (Corded or N-W type -Nordic/Med – longer faced and headed and frequently less depigmented).

Tracing different (from Nordish) types of EE anthropologists differenced Eastern Cro-Magnon type- (high sculled in Eastern variant)- in purest form extremely dolichocephalic with a mean CI 73 (compare to Nordic 79), short faced and nosed + light pigmented – frequently red haired and possessing low oculus. In purer form it consisted 4% of polish population but was much frequent in Baltic States. It was previously called “Finnishe” (Surowiecki 1824) , Paleoasiatic type (Czekanowski 1928- later Paleoeuropeid after Miszkiewicz)- which was a synonyme of Race Orientale (Deniker 1898), Forme eurpeidi archaice (Biasutti 1939).
    Czekanowski decribed its look as “brutal Finnish face” (short nose + low oculus?).
    In later works – Kocka described Fatjanovo sculls as 50%(so high) similar to this type and suggested that this high sculled type was proto-race of later “Aryan cultures” sculls. Later Czekanowski (1962) also pointed strong similarity to W. European Cro-Magnon relics probably well presented here.
    http://forums.skadi.net/attachment.p...chmentid=17748
    http://forums.skadi.net/attachment.p...achmentid=2529

Here you can find comprehensive approach to describe basic racial elements in different authors meanings

source: Zur Anthropologie von Nord-Ost Europa, J CZ. 1962
    and the table of indexes acording to Wanke
    Last edited by norda; Tuesday, September 28th, 2004 at 08:51 AM. Reason: change of rules

Last Online
    Thursday, November 20th, 2008 @ 08:58 PM
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: Osteuropid- Paleoeuropid

Fatianovo culture reconstruction
    courtesy of Ross

Many authors stress that Fatianovo is important for Slavic ethnogenesis
    and that they were Brunids/Nordids

Fatianowo is afaik closest to paleouropid race but not exactly representing this race (according to Wojciech Koc’ka – Paleoeuropid consist 49% (I havent found higher % in other group) of Fatianovo population)

That’s why I posted reconstruction in this thread.

Fatianovo skulls averages (Akimowa 1949)
    CI 71,5 UFI 48,2 NI 56,2 OI 76,7 H(M)I 80,9

The closenes to Corded- CI -is rather delusive in this case. Actually Paleoeuropid Is long headed (btw much more longer headed (73) then contemporary Nordic –76 or rather 79)

Lets compare Fatianovo and very long headed (high Mediterranean admix) CE Corded group. (Maue’39)
    CI 69,9 UFI54,3 NI46,3 OI77,5 HMI 87,0

As we can see:
    1) CI of Fatianovo is slightly higher
    2) Upper Face Index evidently lower (Fatjanovo faces were shorter)
    3) NI of sculls evidently higher (Fatjanovo noses were broader)
    4) Ocullus is not so low (should be 70 in extreme cromagnonid Paloeuropids) but lower then Corded
    5) Medium Height Index is average (80,9) between Corded – 87 and Nordic -75
    Last edited by Thorburn; Sunday, October 3rd, 2004 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Attaching Images.