Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: USA Soldier Just Got Authorization To Wear A Beard Because Of His Norse Pagan Faith

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    United Kingdom, Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Germany, France
    mtDNA
    H1c12
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Zodiac Sign
    Aries
    Politics
    Pro-Trump, Nationalist
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    469 Posts

USA Soldier Just Got Authorization To Wear A Beard Because Of His Norse Pagan Faith

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...e-pagan-faith/

A soldier just got authorization to wear a beard because of his Norse pagan faith

When the Army authorized beards for religious soldiers in early 2017, the move was a response to years of requests — and a lawsuit — from Sikh soldiers seeking to both serve and adhere to the tenets of their faith.

But the directive, technically, applied to all religions.

And that includes Norse pagans, also known as heathens, according to an undated memo from the 14th Military Police Brigade at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.

“I grant your accommodation, subject to the standards and limitations described below,” commander Col. Curtis Shroeder wrote to a 795th Military Police Battalion soldier, whose name is redacted from a copy of the memo circulating on Facebook.

“In observance of your Heathen; Norse Pagan faith, you may wear a beard, in accordance with Army uniform and grooming standards for soldiers with approved religious accommodations.”

Per the latest version of AR 670-1, beards with approved accommodations must be less than 2 inches long, measured from the bottom of the chin, and cannot be groomed with any petroleum-based products.

While beards are required by religious tenet for practicing Sikhs, the rules are murkier for heathens.

According to the Open Halls Project, an advocacy group for heathens serving in the military, the beard is a beloved tradition, but not a requirement.

“There is no religious requirement for beards in Heathenry,” according to a 2017 post about beards. “Sikhs are allowed to wear beards and turbans because it actually is a religious requirement of their faith that they do so. Kesh, or ‘uncut hair’ is one of the five religious requirements of baptized Sikhs. We, as Heathens, have no such religious requirement with regards to hair.”

A Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, spokeswoman confirmed to Army Times the memo’s authenticity.

“All proper procedures outlined in Army Directives 2017-03 and 2016-34 were followed when requesting and approving this religious accommodation,” Tiffany Wood told Army Times on Monday.

Going legit

Authorizing a heathen beard is a big step in a long road for soldiers who practice Norse paganism.

As of 2015, the Army had accepted a request to add the religion to its list of faith codes, but before final approval, the Pentagon initiated a review of all religions recognized by the Defense Department.

However, the Hammer of Thor is still authorized for placement on military cemetery headstones, per a 2013 decision.

As for beards in general, the Army has not announced a final decision on authorizing facial hair across the service.

The Hammer of Thor is an emblem that's part of the Norse Pagan faith. It is available to be placed on government headstones and markers in the United States. (File photo)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elizabeth For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Sunday, November 18th, 2018 @ 10:27 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    8/16 English, 1/16 Scott. English, 3/16 Irish English, 4/16 Irish
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Nationalist / Eclectic
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    243 Posts
    A silly ruling. It sounds like comedy. I'm against all religious exemptions to laws.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aelfgar For This Useful Post:

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    614 Posts
    While I'm very happy the US Defense department recognizes Norse and Germanic Paganism, I do think this is silly and sounds like the soldier just wants to have a beard. Germanic Paganism is very disorganized with many different factions with really no set rules on personal appearance.

Armies have rules for reasons and hair and facial is one such a case. Long hairs and beards is an issue of hygiene and hygiene is very important when dealing with fielding troops for warfare. Think of mass amounts of troops with long hairs and beards they are harder to keep clean and lice could become epidemic.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpearBrave For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Sunday, November 18th, 2018 @ 10:27 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    8/16 English, 1/16 Scott. English, 3/16 Irish English, 4/16 Irish
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Nationalist / Eclectic
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpearBrave View Post
    While I'm very happy the US Defense department recognizes Norse and Germanic Paganism, I do think this is silly and sounds like the soldier just wants to have a beard. Germanic Paganism is very disorganized with many different factions with really no set rules on personal appearance.
    Yeah. I don't follow any one religion but I have quite a lot of sympathy for Germanic paganism/neo-paganism. It's a pity we don't know more about the specific AngloSaxon tradition.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aelfgar For This Useful Post:

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Sunday, January 6th, 2019 @ 05:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    Aryo-Germanic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 3/8 English, 1/8 Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    V10b
    Country
    England England
    State
    Northumberland Northumberland
    Scorpio
    Family
    Parent,Co-habiting
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Exposing idiocy
    Religion
    Wodenist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelfgar View Post
    A silly ruling. It sounds like comedy. I'm against all religious exemptions to laws.
    It is not silly at all. If a man is good enough to die as cannon fodder then he has the right to have his religious beliefs respected.

Armies have rules for reasons and hair and facial is one such a case. Long hairs and beards is an issue of hygiene and hygiene is very important when dealing with fielding troops for warfare. Think of mass amounts of troops with long hairs and beards they are harder to keep clean and lice could become epidemic.

The vast majority of heathens that I know in England now have beards and many long hair. To a certain extent this is down to my influence as I have been harping on about this for a long time on my Aryan Myth and Metahistory blog. They listened and followed my advice. The finest warriors of the past were of course Teutons and the vast majority had beards. A clean chin is the mark of a shaveling and a thrall in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelfgar View Post
    Yeah. I don't follow any one religion but I have quite a lot of sympathy for Germanic paganism/neo-paganism. It's a pity we don't know more about the specific AngloSaxon tradition.

Google Woden's Folk. You would be very welcome to join us as we are folkish 100%.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wuotans Krieger For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago @ 01:58 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Jutland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Schleswig-Holstein Schleswig-Holstein
    Zodiac Sign
    Taurus
    Family
    Widowed
    Politics
    cons. old fashion worker class
    Religion
    Philosophical Archaic Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

It is not about hygiene , it is about gas masks for the beard ,
    and rotating mechanics for swallowing long hair and wide clothing .

As long , as there is no actual maneuver and training using gas masks ,
    they should be allowed to wear a beard .

Of course , in case of being commissioned to active combat , the beard should be
    kept very short .

I actually don't remember anymore , how personal hygiene had been handled in the field ,
    while serving conscription ...
    Mk 10:18 What do you call me a good master, no-one is good .

Gylfaginning 1.39 But on wine alone Odin in arms renowned Forever lives.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uwe Jens Lornsen For This Useful Post:

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Aryo-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    V10b
    Country
    England England
    State
    Scorpio
    Family
    Parent,Co-habiting
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Exposing idiocy
    Religion
    Wodenist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe Jens Lornsen View Post

Of course , in case of being commissioned to active combat , the beard should be
    kept very short .

I actually don't remember anymore , how personal hygiene had been handled in the field ,
    while serving conscription ...
    It's also about penny pinching as gas masks can be adapted for beards. Obviously a compromise could be to shave when in combat. In reality gas is rarely used outside of Syria!!
    As far as hygiene is concerned I am not buying into that. It is a pure anti-beardist myth.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    614 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuotans Krieger View Post
    The vast majority of heathens that I know in England now have beards and many long hair. To a certain extent this is down to my influence as I have been harping on about this for a long time on my Aryan Myth and Metahistory blog. They listened and followed my advice. The finest warriors of the past were of course Teutons and the vast majority had beards. A clean chin is the mark of a shaveling and a thrall in my opinion.
    There is no ruling body for being a Heathen, nor is there set of rules or rule book as Christians have. It is your opinion that clean shaven men are shaveling or thralls, I personally know several clean shaven men that would make almost every man wet their pants and cry for their mommies.

kept very short .
    Trust me it is about hygiene and discipline especially when it comes to US forces, it is the same with long hairs.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Aryo-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    V10b
    Country
    England England
    State
    Scorpio
    Family
    Parent,Co-habiting
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Exposing idiocy
    Religion
    Wodenist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    There is no ruling body for being a Heathen, nor is there set of rules or rule book as Christians have. It is your opinion that clean shaven men are shaveling or thralls, I personally know several clean shaven men that would make almost every man wet their pants and cry for their mommies.

Trust me it is about hygiene and discipline especially when it comes to US forces, it is the same with long hairs.
    I agree that it is not a prerequisite for heathens to have beards and I would never argue that a bearded heathen is better in some way than a non-bearded heathen but it is a fact that after the enforced Christianisation of the Germanic peoples the church zealously tried to stamp out long hair on men and beards as they related this to heathenism. Our ancestors swore sacred oaths on their beards but it was a mark of shame for another to tug or cut another man's beard. The only fitting response to such a display of dishonour was a duel to the death.
    Most men and all women regard bearded men as generally more masculine (whether in reality they are more masculine or not-pure perception) and for this reason feminists hate beards.
    By sporting a beard you are reclaiming your masculinity and your heathen faith. At the same time we distance ourselves from the bald Hollywood neo-nutzi knuckle draggers such as the fake nutzi manlet Anglin.
    Regarding the hygiene issue there is no evidence that beards are linked to poor hygiene and apart from that it is a modern preoccupation that 'men' have with hygiene. I am not dirty; I bathe twice a year whether I need to or not. Those who obsess about showering and bathing do not realise the harm that they are doing to their bodies. In the same way women's obsession with disinfecting kitchens and toilets does more harm than good for our bodies NEED to be exposed to germs and bacteria to build up natural resistance.
    Likewise 'men' who spray themselves with perfume (aftershave) are blocking the natural pheromones that attract females subconsciously. This obsession with 'hygiene' and turning men into metrosexuals has its origins in France.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wuotans Krieger For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago @ 04:14 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Emmingen, Baden-Württemburg
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Taurus
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Retail Sales Management
    Politics
    Nationalsozialist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    352 Posts
    An aircraft O2 mask is not compatible with a beard and it cannot be modified to work with with a beard. It will not seal properly on the lower part of the face.
    American by birth, made of parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg.

Der Familie Rentz seit 1535 - Meine Ehre heißt Treue

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Herr Rentz For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast