Thread: ‘Annoying & Inappropriate’: Norwegian Anti-immigrant Party Seeks Ban On Islamic Call To Prayer

Last Online
    Thursday, August 9th, 2018 @ 02:42 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    Luxembourg Luxembourg
    Family
    Two sisters
    Occupation
    Wyrd-weaver
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts

‘Annoying & Inappropriate’: Norwegian Anti-immigrant Party Seeks Ban On Islamic Call To Prayer

Norway’s Progress Party is set to vote on banning the Islamic call to prayer, claiming it disturbs residents. But the country’s Muslim leaders say they use a phone app, not loudspeakers, to summon worshippers to prayer.

The anti-immigration party, part of the ruling two-party coalition, will vote on the measure when it meets for its national conference this weekend. If the proposal passes, the ban would be adopted as official party policy.

Party officials told the Local that the ‘call’, which is issued over loudspeakers, is a headache for residents within ear-reach of a mosque.

“A great many people perceive this as annoying and inappropriate. In Norway we have freedom of religion, which should also include the right not to be exposed to public calls to prayer,” the proposal, submitted by a local chapter of the Progress Party in Buskerud county, west of Oslo, said.

The ban was proposed after Progress Party officials claimed that mosques had been granted permission to issue the call to prayer over loudspeaker in “several places” in Norway.

However, Oslo’s Vart Land newspaper said it was unable to identify a single mosque in Norway that is currently – or is planning to – issue the call.

Arshad M. Jamil, chairman of the Oslo Mosque’s Islamic Cultural Center, said earlier this month that the proposal was pointless.

"When it comes to call to prayer, we use the app in 2018. We do not use the call to prayer to summon people,” he told Norway Today.

The party's former leader, Carl Hagen, called for a similar ban in 2000, but Norway’s Ministry of Justice intervened, claiming that the measure would be a violation of Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights, which guarantees the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion.

But this time around, it appears that the Progress Party won’t yield. The party’s immigration policy spokesman, Jon Helgheim, told Vart Land that he had no qualms about the proposed ban allegedly infringing on rights protected by the convention.

“I don’t give a toss what human rights provisions say in this case,” he said. “What I care about is that people get peace and quiet in their neighborhoods, and that means not being disturbed by the call to prayer."

“If there are conflicting provisions in the Convention on Human Rights, I simply don’t care, because it's completely stupid,” he added.
    https://www.rt.com/news/425194-norwa...m_campaign=RSS

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Verðandi For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    United Kingdom, Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Germany, France
    mtDNA
    H1c12
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Aries
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    324 Posts
    I hope for the sake of native Norwegians that they ban the Islamic call to prayer.

I used to live in a neighborhood that was Catholic and Ultra Orthodox Jewish. Mostly Jewish. Boro Park/Borough Park, Brooklyn, New York. I lived a block away (across the street) from the Catholic Church, which was called Holy Ghost, later renamed Holy Spirit. They used to ring their church bell on Sunday mornings until the Jewish community complained about it and the church stopped ringing its bell. But every Friday afternoon, near sundown, I could hear what sounded like a WWII air raid siren blasting through the neighborhood. That's when the Jewish people would rush indoors/home. They had to be off the street by sundown. I think their Sabbath started at sundown on Fridays. I never knew where the sound was coming from, but sounded as if it was on loudspeakers and it was annoying.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elizabeth For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Saturday, February 9th, 2019 @ 02:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Nordish Preservationist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    I love the sound of church bells such as the angelus.

I don't want to hear an Islamic call to prayer unless I'm in an Islamic country.
    Our beauty is our power, our strength. We can’t allow them to change us, to lessen us. I will never grant them that satisfaction, and neither should you!

White Oleander

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Aesthete For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Sunday, November 18th, 2018 @ 10:27 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    8/16 English, 1/16 Scott. English, 3/16 Irish English, 4/16 Irish
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Nationalist / Eclectic
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts
    The Swiss voted to ban further minarets in 2009: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_...ferendum,_2009

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aelfgar For This Useful Post: