View Poll Results: Would you say that social media is...

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • ...generally positive (i.e. the advantages outweigh the disadvantages)

0 0%
  • ...generally negative (i.e. the disadvantages outweigh the advantages)

3 42.86%
  • ...but a symptom of a decaying, consumerist and narcissistic culture

1 14.29%
  • other option/specify.

3 42.86%

Thread: Social Media: Good or Bad?

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Family
    Married parent
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts

Social Media: Good or Bad?

Some of what is being discussed on the video: social media was designed to be addictive - it provides the same kind of dopamine hit that you get from smoking, drinking alcohol or gambling. Getting a notification triggers some sort of feel-good response - it's why we count the likes, go back ten times to see what's new, the trauma for young kids to be unfriended. We are so addicted that our brain sometimes fools us into thinking that our phones vibrate (see phantom vibration syndrome).

A former Facebook executive has said he feels “tremendous guilt” over his work on “tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works”, joining a growing chorus of critics of the social media giant. Chamath Palihapitiya, who was vice-president for user growth at Facebook before he left the company in 2011, said: “The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops that we have created are destroying how society works. No civil discourse, no cooperation, misinformation, mistruth.” (See more)

Site’s founding president, who became a billionaire thanks to the company, says: ‘God only knows what it’s doing to our children’s brains’. Parker described how in the early days of Facebook people would tell him they weren’t on social media because they valued their real-life interactions. “And I would say, ‘OK. You know, you will be,’” he said. He explained that when Facebook was being developed the objective was: “How do we consume as much of your time and conscious attention as possible?” It was this mindset that led to the creation of features such as the “like” button that would give users “a little dopamine hit” to encourage them to upload more content

Next time you are in a car driving down a busy street, or using public transport, take a look at how many people have their heads buried in their cellphones or tablets. Even in an environment where there are potential threats or obstacles, they still can't tear themselves away... Have you ever bumped into someone who wasn't paying attention because they were on their phone? (Or vice versa). Have you ever seen someone walk into a pole or trip because they were on their phone? Have you ever been on a date or outing with friends or family, and noticed that those sitting across you were constantly playing or browsing on their phone?

And what about the selfie and/or Instagram phenomenon? Taking selfies everywhere and uploading them to social media, then checking and re-checking how many likes you get. Disappointed that you "only" got a few, or, even worse, that you haven't received any notifications at all? "Checking in" each time you go out, tagging who you are with, taking pictures of your food each time you are at a restaurant, even picking the restaurant based on how good your Instagram shot will look like?

Social media fulfills the need for constant reassurance and boasts a low self-esteem, which has been instilled by poor parenting and improper values. It is literally infantilising our brains, regressing us back to "infanthood". Another consequence is short attention span - we are kept in a perpetual state of distraction and disruption. This constant influx of new information prevents our brain from being able to process that information in the first place. According to a study, giving up Facebook leads to a drop in the stress-related hormone cortisol. “People have long reported in other research that Facebook can make them feel bad about themselves or that it stresses them. Many people quit Facebook permanently because of it. Others take ‘Facebook Vacations’, in which they either deactivate or quit Facebook for a few days, weeks, or even months,” Vanman told PsyPost. “We also found, however, that people who were instructed to give up Facebook for 5 days were less satisfied with their lives. Many were openly happy when the study was finished because they could return to Facebook,” Vanman added. “One unexpected finding is that people in the No Facebook condition spent more time in Face-to-Face contact with friends on the Sunday during the study.”

So what is your take? Weren't we all a lot happier before social media? Do the advantages really outweigh the disadvantages? Or is the problem not social media itself, but rather the consumerist and idle mentality our people have adopted?

And what about social media in the nationalist milieu? I noticed two parallel trends within the nationalist milieu: on the one hand, people use social media less - some don't even have a Facebook account; on the other hand, social media has been teeming with nationalist pages, galleries, blogs, videos, and so on. It is, after all a way to spread information, particularly to the millennial and especially post-millennial generations. Would it thus be correct to assume that many nationalists do not use social media for personal, narcissistic reasons, such as selfies and likes, but rather as a means to an end, i.e. to spread their message across? However, there is an issue with using social media in the nationalist scene too, at least according to the author of the video. Real world experience forms rounded characters; social media draws us away from the real world. And while in theory social media is a medium where everyone has a voice, in practice a lot of people are complaining about being offended by strangers' opinions, what leads to censorship.

It would be interesting to conduct our own survey:

Do you use social media at all? If so, how? (personally/professionally/politically etc.)
    Which social media channels are you present on? Which do you mostly use?
    How often do you check social media? What do you usually check for first?
    Do you often "check in" or tag your friends?
    Whom do you usually add on your friends list? Do you limit it to real life friends, colleagues and family members or do you also accept friendship requests from people you do not personally know?
    How much personal information do you provide? (e.g. do you use a real name or a pseudonym, etc.) Are you concerned that your personal information might be collected or shared with 3rd parties?

Some solutions, according to the video, on how to escape this electronic ghetto:

- check notifications no more than 5 times a day, ideally less.
    - use the Internet like your parents use it: go on there to do what you intend to do, then get off; don't get too side-tracked with those funny cat videos and vines.
    - try and be disciplined, respect the value of your own time.
    - don't charge your phone next to your bed, don't surf just before you go to sleep.
    - if it's not essential for your career, networking, etc., just get off social media entirely; there's no point in being a public figure if you don't get any of the benefits of being a public figure.

Add anything else you think might fit this topic.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resist For This Useful Post:

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts
    I'm not a member of any social media sites, other than a few forums. I have been told too many to "get with the times". I have a large family with a lot of siblings and we used to have our own forum that was private and we all stayed connected with each other, facebook and social media was the start of our family not staying connected. While one generation did not use facebook or other sites, the younger ones did. So, when planning a family function we had to cover all bases and not be so private about family gatherings or whatever.

To me it seems it could be both a good and thing and bad thing, depending how its used. I have always been suspect that sites like facebook and twitter are just info gathering sites. This info is being used for variety of things, but especially its used for consumerism, marketing and even more advertising.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpearBrave For This Useful Post:

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    My wife and I both maintain Facebook accounts. She uses it to keep in touch with friends, co-workers, and relatives. I just use it to occasionally post articles and my personal views on.

I carry a so-called 'trac phone' for emergencies, or business calls. My wife has one with all the convenient bells and whistles that she uses for business, texting, talking, playing games, connecting to online forums, and so forth.

Whenever I see someone I know is driving with their knees while looking down texting, I just want to see one of their front tires blowout. Damn, that kind of stupidity just infuriates me, especially when I'm bicycling and one of these twits speeds by me too close for comfort.

Yes, I think obsessive social media addiction is becoming more prevalent, especially with younger generations. When I observe a boy and girl seated across from each other in a restaurant with their noses pointed down while they text away on their phones, I just shake my head while wondering if they ever learned how to communicate with each other in what was the conventional way... Good grief!
    Aside from an ever increasing number of mortals who have willfully chosen to worship Satan and his minions, our battle has always been against the powers and principalities operating surreptitiously throughout this twisted world.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Married
    Politics
    Ethnocentrism
    Religion
    Tradition
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    I stick to good "old fashioned" e-mail. Otherwise I only use social media like Youtube for informative purposes. This like craze never really rubbed on me. It's a sign of a narcissistic, attention spanned generation.

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleyer View Post
    I stick to good "old fashioned" e-mail. Otherwise I only use social media like Youtube for informative purposes. This like craze never really rubbed on me. It's a sign of a narcissistic, attention spanned generation.
    So will I.

I've heard Skype can get interesting if someone wants to go that route.

Frankly, I was offered this service once, but politely declined... Too weird for this fellow.
    Aside from an ever increasing number of mortals who have willfully chosen to worship Satan and his minions, our battle has always been against the powers and principalities operating surreptitiously throughout this twisted world.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Sunday, November 18th, 2018 @ 11:27 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    8/16 English, 1/16 Scott. English, 3/16 Irish English, 4/16 Irish
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Nationalist / Eclectic
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    241 Posts
    Social media is okay in moderation but, as the man in the video explains, it can be hard to moderate because of its addictive nature. I read less and watch TV much less than I used to because of the internet but I'm definitely not a slave to a mobile phone (cell phone).

I don't know if it's technically possible, but social media would ideally be on a different wi-fi wavelegth to the rest of the internet stuff so that it could be switched off at certain times to reduce addiction.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aelfgar For This Useful Post:

Munchkin
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/Irish/French
    Ancestry
    England/Ireland/France
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Gemini
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Deli Shift Leader/Manager
    Politics
    Centrist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Lee Hunter View Post
    So will I.

I've heard Skype can get interesting if someone wants to go that route.

Frankly, I was offered this service once, but politely declined... Too weird for this fellow.
    Oh my.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LillyCaterina For This Useful Post:

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelfgar View Post
    Social media is okay in moderation but, as the man in the video explains, it can be hard to moderate because of its addictive nature. I read less and watch TV much less than I used to because of the internet but I'm definitely not a slave to a mobile phone (cell phone).

I don't know if it's technically possible, but social media would ideally be on a different wi-fi wavelegth to the rest of the internet stuff so that it could be switched off at certain times to reduce addiction.
    I agree with addiction and social media, I quit watching TV years ago and I try my best to get others to stop. I see so many people buried in their phones it's crazy. I think reading and just thinking is much more satisfying.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpearBrave For This Useful Post:

Munchkin
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/Irish/French
    Ancestry
    England/Ireland/France
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Gemini
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Deli Shift Leader/Manager
    Politics
    Centrist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    477 Posts
    I use my phone mainly for business. Aside from forums, I'm not really into social media.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LillyCaterina For This Useful Post: