View Poll Results: Which commandments would you follow?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old testament commandments

1 10.00%
  • Solon commandments

6 60.00%
  • Both

1 10.00%
  • Neither

2 20.00%

Thread: The 10 Commandments from Exodus VS the 10 Commandments of Solon: Which Ones Would You Follow?

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, July 8th, 2011 @ 09:46 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question The 10 Commandments from Exodus VS the 10 Commandments of Solon: Which Ones Would You Follow?

Ten(?) commandments of Old Testaments VS ten commandments of Solon.Explain your preferation:

Ten commandments from Exodus20:2-17

Exodus 20:
    2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
    3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
    4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
    5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
    6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
    7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
    8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
    9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
    10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
    11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
    12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
    13 Thou shalt not kill.
    14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
    15 Thou shalt not steal.
    16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
    17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

The Ten Commandments of Solon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I. Trust good character more than promises.
    II. Do not speak falsely.
    III. Do good things.
    IV. Do not be hasty in making friends, but do not abandon them once made.
    V. Learn to obey before you command.
    VI. When giving advice, do not recommend what is most pleasing, but what is most useful.
    VII. Make reason your supreme commander.
    VIII. Do not associate with people who do bad things.
    IX. Honor the gods.
    X. Have regard for your parents.

From Diogenes Laertius, Lives of Eminent Philosophers, 1.60

Last Online
    Friday, October 21st, 2005 @ 11:04 PM
    Subrace
    Corded/Balkanoid UP
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    Politics
    Nutzi
    Religion
    Agnostic!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Post Re: Judaism VS Hellenism:Which commandments would you follow?

Solon, doesn't sound like a psycho to me.

Last Online
    Monday, June 6th, 2005 @ 02:03 AM
    Subrace
    Corded Pontid/Cro-Magnid
    Country
    Other Other
    Occupation
    Evil water sprite
    Politics
    laissez-faire
    Religion
    Impious free thinker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Solon of course, without a doubt. He is not known as one of the Seven Wise Men of Greece for nothing. I admire him greatly and see him as one of the pillars of Hellenistic culture and thought.

As for the Old Testament commandments, although there are sensible ones, namely the last seven but they are by no means peculiar to Judaism or Christianity alone. As for the others, I think they make the God of Old Testament sound extremely paranoid, egotistical and jealous -which, of course he admits himself to be many times. As for the whole "neighbor" thing, I want to be optimistic and see it as an expression of the whole of the community, meaning if everyone were to treat kindly to one's neighbor everyone would -automatically- be better off but knowing how tribe-centric especially Judaism is I'm not so sure.

Last Online
    Friday, March 25th, 2016 @ 07:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt Australian
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordic
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Victoria Victoria
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Guerilla Philosopher
    Politics
    Aristotelian Nationalist
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I follow the Ten Commandments of Solon.
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream at night, in the dusky recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams, with open eyes, to make it possible.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, July 8th, 2011 @ 09:46 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rusalka
    As for the whole "neighbor" thing, I want to be optimistic and see it as an expression of the whole of the community, meaning if everyone were to treat kindly to one's neighbor everyone would -automatically- be better off but knowing how tribe-centric especially Judaism is I'm not so sure.
    ...I am a jealous God...
    ...visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me...
    ...shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments...
    I think it's clear."Lord" is merciful only to beleivers

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    How about the Two Great Commandments of Christ? All other righteousness emanates from the dictum on two realms, of God and neighbor. There is a Zoroastrian dualist reduction to Christ's instructions, between spiritual and temporal concerns.

Last Online
    5 Days Ago @ 03:18 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkman View Post
    IX. Honor the gods.
    X. Have regard for your parents.

From Diogenes Laertius, Lives of Eminent Philosophers, 1.60
    Not only do these last two commandments share similarities with fundamental Pythagorean tenets (as formulated by Iamblichus and recorded in the Golden Verses), but provide the conditions for absolute disavowal of anarchy and atheism. The Jewish ten commandments only addresses the regard for parents (and this is at best a standard copy and paste job). The Jewish god is not to be worshiped, but merely obeyed and feared.

This quote from Tacitus hits the nail on the head: "Proselytes to Jewry adopt the same practices, and the very first lesson they learn is to despise the gods, shed all feelings of patriotism, and consider parents, children and brothers as readily expendable."

Last Online
    Friday, May 11th, 2018 @ 08:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    European
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Single adult
    Occupation
    finance
    Politics
    Republican
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well, justice and equity is dispersed by God and sons of God and gods.

In fact there is only one God, Lord God Jehovah, Lord Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit, omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent God of all creation.

According to Holy Scripture, every God and every god at least:

- has a body made of fiery plasma (burning fire) (Deuteronomy 4:24, Hebrews 12:29), limited by heavy water (John 4:14, John 7:38) and moving in a physical world with the speed of light (Genesis 1:3, John 1:1-5);
    - committed no abominable deeds of sexual perversions (homosexuality (Leviticus 20:13), lesbianism (Leviticus 20:13), bestiality (Leviticus 20:15), incest (Leviticus 20:11-17), pedophilia (sexual relations with girls below 12 years of age) (Leviticus 20:2-3, Matthew 18:6)), abominations (child murders (abortions)) (Leviticus 20:2-3, Exodus 21:22-25), change of gender (Book of Enoch, section XVII, chapter 86; section II, chapter 10), cannibalism (Book of Enoch, section II, chapter 7,10), human cloning (Book of Enoch, section XVII, chapter 86; section II, chapter 10), intentional murder (Exodus 21:14), enslavement of men/women (Exodus 21:16) or selling of men/women to slavery (Exodus 21:16);
    - did not force men or women to worship him as god, and did not forcefully impose any marks, numbers, writings, microchips upon human skin or inside a human body for any reason (Revelation 19:20-21);
    - judges every man and every woman exclusively of his or her deeds (Isaiah 59:18, Romans 2:6).

Every other creature or creator:

- whose body is not made of fiery plasma (burning fire) (Deuteronomy 4:24, Hebrews 12:29), limited by heavy water (John 4:14, John 7:38) and does not move in a physical world with the speed of light (Genesis 1:3, John 1:1-5);
    - who committed the abominable deeds of sexual perversions (homosexuality (Leviticus 20:13), lesbianism (Leviticus 20:13), bestiality (Leviticus 20:15), incest (Leviticus 20:11-17), pedophilia (sexual relations with girls below 12 years of age) (Leviticus 20:2-3, Matthew 18:6)), abominations (child murders (abortions)) (Leviticus 20:2-3, Exodus 21:22-25), change of gender (Book of Enoch, section XVII, chapter 86; section II, chapter 10), cannibalism (Book of Enoch, section II, chapter 7,10), human cloning (Book of Enoch, section XVII, chapter 86; section II, chapter 10), intentional murder (Exodus 21:14), enslavement of men/women (Exodus 21:16) or selling of men/women to slavery (Exodus 21:16);
    - who forced men or woman to worship him as god, and forcefully imposed any marks, numbers, writings, microchips upon human skin or inside a human body for any reason (Revelation 19:20-21);
    - who judged every man and every woman otherwise than of his or her deeds (Isaiah 59:18, Romans 2:6)

is not God and not a god.

As Plato and Socrates long established European gods are not gods: throw any European god into burning fire, no matter how muscled he is, and he will howl in pain and will burn into ashes, proving to everyone, that burning fire is Almighty and Awesome God, and that European gods are lying and sinful men and women.

Therefore, European judges are lying and sinful men and women, who are capable only of rendering unjust and unequal judgments, that cannot stand and will not stand for more than 70 years.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Such hostility. I see some universal values between them, but idiots read too much into manufactured strife about nothing.