Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dont Miss Olympic Games Opening Ceremony!

Last Online
    Thursday, January 4th, 2007 @ 10:45 PM
    Subrace
    Mediterranid
    Family
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    Archaeologist-journalist.
    Politics
    Plato's Orientation
    Religion
    National Hellenic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post Re: Dont Miss Olympic Games Opening Ceremony!

EYTYXEITE!

Dear PRINCE EUGEN that's true! The only I dissagree with you is the way you are writing your nic "PRINCE"... I had rather to read "PRINZ"...
    Kindest Regards!
    Quote Originally Posted by PRINCE EUGEN
    I'm oppose in this ''Olympics '' of Coca-Cola and Nike!This games are only for commercial reasons!

Last Online
    Monday, June 6th, 2005 @ 02:03 AM
    Subrace
    Corded Pontid/Cro-Magnid
    Country
    Other Other
    Occupation
    Evil water sprite
    Politics
    laissez-faire
    Religion
    Impious free thinker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs Up Re: Dont Miss Olympic Games Opening Ceremony!

I agree that the Olympics have turned to be too commercial, especially in these past years, that's why I had found that project, "The Nemean Games" so interesting but no one here is going to make me think that the opening ceremony wasn't worth it. Personally, and this is someone who has taken an art history and design education speaking, I found the opening ceremony to be breathtaking. The only thing that bothered me was to be watching it from NBC, having it cut by commercials every 7 minutes and the obnoxious commentators. What is more, these people, being totally ignorant about what they are supposed to be talking just did not stop and had to say something on every ocassion, giving me two extreme examples, such as:

- And now here is the Soviet Republic of Georgia, their team entered the stadium

- Athena is named after Athena, the city's patron saint

Georgia has been a sovereign country since the disintegration of the USSR, in 1991. And I don't know how to comment on Athena being called a patron saint. I thought the whole world, obligatorily knew the basics of Greek Mythology and Athena being one of the major gods.. oh well, whatever.

The show itself and every part of it being connected so wonderfully was amazing. Starting the history with the water as it is thought of by science too and linking the water to the sea, which is so important to Greece. Linking all this to chaos, birthing from itself and bringing forth Eros, which caused everything be.. it was all so accurate and not a single moment lacked proper allegory and history. The historical timeline of mankind and mainly of Greek history was amazing too. I loved the way the models were half human, half construct; a look so familiar within ancient Greek art and later in the iconic representations. Ending it all with the DNA spiral / infinity symbol left me speechless.

Call me a softie but there were moments where I almost cried. Yeah well, I am an emotional soppy. The Olympics have always meant a lot to me as watching them has always been a family tradition -especially back when there was only one channel on TV and it would air the Olympics non-stop, we'd gather either in my grandparents' house or my aunts' and watch them as a family gathering event. The Olympic competitons leave a lot to be desired these last couple of years, one major thing that's been bothering me is that whichever country is the best off economically, they are bound to win -which wasn't the case during the so-called "Iron-Curtain" days. Also, living in the US, we are more or less forced to watch those events in which the USA is taking part, and missing events such as fencing (my favorite) to a great degree not to mention weightlifting, wrestling, archery etc.

All in all, I am more than happy that Athens got this year's Olympiad. Congratulations to our Greek friends who have -so far- made a great job of it. Even though I don't want it to end, I'm looking forward to the closing ceremonies too.

And Athens looks so beautiful with all the lights of the Acropolis and the Olympic Stadium on at night, it made me secretly plan of moving there. Well, at least visit.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, February 6th, 2006 @ 07:08 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Nordicist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rusalka
    I agree that the Olympics have turned to be too commercial, especially in these past years, that's why I had found that project, "The Nemean Games" so interesting but no one here is going to make me think that the opening ceremony wasn't worth it. Personally, and this is someone who has taken an art history and design education speaking, I found the opening ceremony to be breathtaking. The only thing that bothered me was to be watching it from NBC, having it cut by commercials every 7 minutes and the obnoxious commentators.
    I agree about the commentators, I don't care to listen to their inane opinions and rambling about what is going on. They really need to change that, they talk way too much.

Last Online
    Monday, June 6th, 2005 @ 02:03 AM
    Subrace
    Corded Pontid/Cro-Magnid
    Country
    Other Other
    Occupation
    Evil water sprite
    Politics
    laissez-faire
    Religion
    Impious free thinker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordhammer
    I agree about the commentators, I don't care to listen to their inane opinions and rambling about what is going on. They really need to change that, they talk way too much.
    And that's the way they behave in Olympic events, too. I guess NBC is paying them for not to shut up for even one minute because they just keep talking and talking not just expressing opinions (which we could spare, I think) but filling it in with useless trivia such as "I had never seen him do this", "have you ever seen him to this mistake?", "no I have never seen him to that". Who the hell are you? Are you an NBC commentator or are you the live-in trainer for the gymnastics team?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Nordicist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PRINCE EUGEN
    I'm oppose in this ''Olympics '' of Coca-Cola and Nike!This games are only for commercial reasons!
    It's a shame, but it's necessary, they give millions as sponsors. Without sponsors' money they wouldn't be able to afford the Olympics as they want to have it.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Nordicist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts