Thread: Choosing Veganism Perpetuates White Male Privilege, Elitism, and Toxic Masculinity

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts

Choosing Veganism Perpetuates White Male Privilege, Elitism, and Toxic Masculinity

Nothing is as beautiful as the vindictive and absurd Left eating itself. A sociology instructor and doctoral candidate at North Carolina State University, Mari Mycek, declared in her academic article, “Meatless Meals and Masculinity,” that white male privilege has usurped the femininity of veganism.

I find their performances of masculinity often defy the conventional feminization of meatless diets, while also upholding gendered binaries of emotion/rationality and current tropes of white, middle-class masculinity.

This article in Campus Reform quotes Mycek’s piece:

Mycek argues that vegan men use their diet to bolster their masculinity “by explaining their choice to become [vegan] in ways that evoke logics of rationality, science, and reason, concepts that also traditionally get coded as masculine.”

Observing that “these performances of masculinity are aligned with white middle-class social norms and expectations,” she contends that middle-class men are uniquely poised to take advantage of this status-building strategy.

Mycek also frames veganism as a privilege for the elite, explaining that it symbolizes for men “a form of cultural capital and a symbolic resource, a way to align oneself with those who have the privilege of choice when it comes to food decisions.”

So, if the male’s decision to go vegan is not based in irrationality and emoting, the male is guilty of using rational-based thinking, which is, of course, a major perpetuator of white male privilege and toxic masculinity.
    https://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog...c-masculinity/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nachtengel For This Useful Post:

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    901 Posts
    I'll remember the context of that particular article as I chow down on my next steak.

Hmmm, being a vegan promotes masculinity... Ooookaaaay.
    Aside from an ever increasing number of mortals who have willfully chosen to worship Satan and his minions, our battle has always been against the powers and principalities operating surreptitiously throughout this twisted world.

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago @ 05:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon-Celt
    Ancestry
    Irish, English, Scottish, German, French, Mi'kmaq
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Scorpio
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    maker of things
    Politics
    non-corruption for the people
    Religion
    Pantheism / Norse pagan / Taoism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    297 Posts
    I'm male and I was vegan from about 2002 to 2013-ish ... then vegetarian from then to now (Oct 2018 and continuing).

This whole article is complete BS and just skimming it makes me shake my head. I'm tired of all these people thinking up complicated alleged explanations for things to fit into their own view (they are 100% projecting their own concepts onto things).

I didn't and don't care about any of the alleged points other people might project onto me because of my own decisions.

I decided my own actions based on things I learned about mainstream mass animal farming which I don't agree with not because of someone with degrees in useless "psycho"-analist mumbo jumbo, too much time on their hands and some personal vendetta against males.

To these kinds of people, you can't win either way : be a meat eater and your a neanderthal male .... be a vegan and your also pushing "white male privilege " : give up all possessions and live in a cave meditating and surviving on 'drippings from the ceiling' and they'll judge you as just trying to project the stereotypical saint/mystic image to impress people which is also just another form of male ego enlargement LOL

- "white male privilege" UGH .... I was poor compared to almost everyone in society (now I'm much poorer .... I guess I missed the boat on the white male privilege thing .... I think if I read or hear that term one more time I'm just going to go live in the woods.
    Last edited by Ravenrune; Saturday, October 13th, 2018 at 12:10 AM. Reason: adding more rantage

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ravenrune For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    19 Hours Ago @ 11:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Liberalism is a church with no salvation.