Free & Libertarian
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chlodovech View Post
    And it's a sort of Catch 22: whether here or at your job or hobby club, there are always more people sitting on the cart than pulling it. And now there are too few people pulling it. Without enough people on the cart no-one is going to pull the cart anymore. And without people pulling the cart no-one is going to sit on the cart.
    Yes, that's what I'm afraid of. I have seen other communities die out for lack of activity and never recover. The financial maintenance matter also comes into question here. Without attracting newbies that stick around and turn into regulars, Skadi also faces the possibility of losing financial sustenance. The owners mentioned that they've thusfar footed most of the site's bills themselves. At what point might it be considered financially impractical to run Skadi? Personally, I've come to appreciate Skadi for its uniqueness and consider it my online home so it would be sad to see it disappear one day. On the other hand, I could understand if its owners didn't want to continue investing in a stagnating project. Any possibilities of funding the bills by renting ad space, for instance?

I actually thought Nachtengel's suggestion of a minimum quota of posts per staff member per month was a good idea. I imagine that since activity is reduced these days, there is less moderation or mediation work to do. Or how about assigning staff members exclusively for taking care of Skadi's social media channels? Another idea could be making a referral contest or compensating members who bring in newbies in various ways (e.g. by offering them free funding memberships or individual privileges like the possibility to use invisible mode, a larger inbox, etc).

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Idis For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    15 Hours Ago @ 05:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Prussia/Flandern
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Art Director
    Politics
    Right Wing
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeternitas View Post
    We actually have a mobile style that was created specifically for phones and tablets. We set it as the default style for mobile browsers, but it may not work automatically with every type of device? One can set it manually though, by scrolling down to the bottom and picking "default mobile style". Skadi can also be accessed via the app Tapatalk, just search for "Skadi forum".

vBulletin 5 has a slightly more modern-friendly interface and is generally more similar to social media however we've had to downgrade to vBulletin 4 due to errors and bugs in the software in addition to lack of versatility when it comes to some traditional Skadi features and modifications. We might try to upgrade again at some point in future when the new software becomes more stable. The truth is, vBulletin 4 looks more like the 2000s while vBulletin 5 is coded fully mobile responsive, with drag-and-drop features closer to what people would expect in the 2010s and 20s. So vBulletin 5 is by far the superior option in terms of layout and aesthetics. However, a buggy version can be very annoying and turn users away much more than a dated layout can. In terms of vBulletin fora, the software version Skadi runs on isn't really unusual. In fact, there are larger communities than Skadi that use much older versions. SomethingAwful.com, one of the larger vBulletin communities (63,237,156 posts) runs on vBulletin 2, which is virtually ancient. Stormfront still runs on vBulletin 3 and the Apricity has been running on vBulletin 4 for quite a while now, without that this significantly affect its audience. At the same time, TA is quite popular with mobile and tablet users. Most use Tapatalk to access it on their devices. The only other community (that I know of) that has upgraded to vBulletin 5 is the Phora, but the Phora uses a default, clean version without customizations/modifications.

According to our latest analytics, almost half of Skadi's audience (47.59%) are desktop users, with mobile users not too far behind (47.55%). Tablet users are just under 5% (4.86% to be exact).

vBulletin 5 also comes with a mobile suite that includes custom/native iOS and Android mobile apps. We already have a license for vBulletin 5 however we didn't get the mobile bundle (which would cost an extra $150) because we wanted to try Tapatalk first. Not sure how many people would prefer downloading a separate app just for Skadi. Tapatalk comes in handy because it allows one access to all their favorite forums in one place.
    Thanks! I actually now tried out the mobile version and it's pretty okay. Had to set it manually on both tablet and phone but it works. The only drawback is that it doesn't have the familiar graphics as the desktop experience but it's something that I could get used to. I also tried Tapatalk which actually is a great experience. Thanks for pointing this out.

It's a shame that there's so many bugs in the 5 version and let's hope this will be addressed in time. But since I just discovered Tapatalk and see how great it works there's no hurry in that at, least for me.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    6 Days Ago @ 09:56 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Family
    Married parent
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa View Post
    Today we're using phones and tablets and other devices to read, watch and interact with each other and while it's okay to read posts on Skadi, on a mobile or tablet all other activities as menus or place for submitting a post are minimalistic on this device. The platform works excellent on a computer but less people are using one today for communications or other daily activities. Even on my 10.1 Samsung tablet it's pretty hard to read and reach menus or submenues. I understand that moving to other platforms and tools requires not only massive amount of work but also investments.
    I use the mobile style when I'm on my handy. It's got a few less options (can't find the thanks button), I find it better than the Asgard style tho cause it fits the screen. I mostly use the handy for browsing tho, otherwise I post from my laptop. I'm too old school when it comes to typing posts, can't imagine there's folks out there writing more than 1-2 paragraphs from their handy. Do y'all have a keyboard you use with your handy, or is all the texting these new generations have gotten used to?

And we welcome only those who are germanics or have direct decent. Do we welcome 1/5 germanics or 1/10 germanics or half or pure? If I live in Norway for example and embrace a germanic culture and traditions but only have one grandparent whos is germanic but all other are Celtic, Slav or Latin. Is this individual still welcome.
    Far as I've understood you've gotta be half Germanic bloodwise to make the cut. Skadi would gain more audience if they allowed integrated, "cultural Germanics" tho, like in your examples. At least far as America's concerned, there's plenty of white "Euromutts" with ancestries from all over the continent but who are Anglo-American by culture. Plus folks who are 25% Germanic might still have an interest in their heritage, eventhough they may not be considered Germanic by everybody. Ain't saying that Skadi should change its definition on what's Germanic, but maybe allowing such folks in, along with Euros who have an interest in Germanic topics could freshen up the atmosphere a lil. The Althing used to allow such folks & there were always discussions & debates going on there.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gefjon For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    15 Hours Ago @ 05:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Prussia/Flandern
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Art Director
    Politics
    Right Wing
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gefjon View Post
    I use the mobile style when I'm on my handy. It's got a few less options (can't find the thanks button), I find it better than the Asgard style tho cause it fits the screen. I mostly use the handy for browsing tho, otherwise I post from my laptop. I'm too old school when it comes to typing posts, can't imagine there's folks out there writing more than 1-2 paragraphs from their handy. Do y'all have a keyboard you use with your handy, or is all the texting these new generations have gotten used to?

Far as I've understood you've gotta be half Germanic bloodwise to make the cut. Skadi would gain more audience if they allowed integrated, "cultural Germanics" tho, like in your examples. At least far as America's concerned, there's plenty of white "Euromutts" with ancestries from all over the continent but who are Anglo-American by culture. Plus folks who are 25% Germanic might still have an interest in their heritage, eventhough they may not be considered Germanic by everybody. Ain't saying that Skadi should change its definition on what's Germanic, but maybe allowing such folks in, along with Euros who have an interest in Germanic topics could freshen up the atmosphere a lil. The Althing used to allow such folks & there were always discussions & debates going on there.
    I actually use an app where I write and then paste it on the site since I use only a handy, it's not that often that I sit down at the computer anymore except at work even that I bought a Microsoft Surface a while ago, but I use it only now and then, unfortunately. It's more comfortable using my tablet while watching some game on TV or listening to music, I also stick to reading books on the tablet nowadays.

You have a good point about what should be considered Germanic. I never thought of the American side of it and that a huge number of Americans has multiple descendency. I was kind of blind watching it from my Swedish perspective. What of an American that has germanic descendency but also someone of let's say Italian and Polish or Irish along the way. Where should the line be drawn? Is it up to the individual and his spiritual belonging that should count? I have a friend, here in Sweden, who's mother is German and his father Polish. He speaks German fluently but none Polish. And since he only grew up with his mother he visits Germany often and feels German.

I'm just interested in what people on the forum would think of the multiple descents that actually exists a lot in USA.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Salsa For This Useful Post:

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Norman & German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvet View Post
    I think to remember that he even said that on his "western revival" website that he was a Jew.
    I very much doubt that. A public admission that he was not Germanic would have been the easiest, most ideal pretext to ban him so plenty of his opponents who wanted to get rid of him would have taken the opportunity to report it, post it in public for all to see, etc. Just because he didn't share a NS-friendly world view didn't make him a Jew. He had a pro-American, Western outlook.

Never mind that his presence on Skadi was the main reason why it deterogated into chaos and hate before its shutdown. To even think of reinviting this freak is beyond retarded.
    It's not. His presence actually stimulated interesting discussion and lead to debates, including from many of his opponents. The forum he went on to host after he was banned from Skadi, Occidental Enclave hosted similar types of discussion and former Skadi members signed up there too (Aemma, Æmeric, Oswiu, Coillearnagh, Cambridge, SwordoftheVistula etc.)

The main reason behind the hate was a vocal clique of people who couldn't handle debating with him, sharing the site with him or placing him on ignore and instead made a personal crusade to get him banned. It's funny how people will claim to support free speech but as soon as they come across someone who challenges their beliefs and world view, they act exactly like those leftists who want everything censored. While JMC was not a fan of the NS, he did not go on a crusade to have NS members banned. And how do I know it wasn't JMC? Because other people who weren't NS and who didn't share the pro-NS outlook on WWII, like the Norwegian member Hevneren were treated exactly the same by the NS/German supremacist clique. Some people simply can't handle the fact that not everybody worships Hitler and that Germanic is not equal to only German. The recent reaction to some proud British pictures from the gallery made it clear to me what the root of the issue is. Some people consider proud Americans, proud Scandinavians, proud Icelanders, etc. to be inferior and less desirable than German NS, lest they have a pro-NS outlook themselves. I know Nordic and Scandinavian members who have told me they feel the same way. It's probably also why the Anglosphere is poorly represented on Skadi, despite its large number of Germanics and why some people can't and don't recommend Skadi to their Germanic friends and acquaintances.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Norman Pride For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R-YP355
    mtDNA
    K2a5a
    Country
    England England
    State
    Rhode Island Rhode Island
    Leo
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Docker
    Politics
    Hanoverian Whig
    Religion
    Ancestor veneration
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts
    I have always personally disliked both JoeM and Hevneren, who are and have always been fanatics rubbing me the wrong way, but am the least likely to censor those with ideological opposition to my way of looking at things, even if they make me nauseous or laugh at them like they're retarded. I just don't like control freaks either. Let everybody hash it out. I may have a position somebody disagrees with or dislikes, but that doesn't exactly have bearing on the legitimacy of another POV.

I'm an ethnic nationalist but also metaethnic pan-nationalist, no different than others from the POV of NS apologetic. I understand everyone wants to at least try seeing it from the POV of one's own folk and arguing for it before others, even within the same Germanic framework. That is just normal. I would never wish to silence those who look at things different from me. Slowly, but surely, if it may seem I'm intractable, simply discussing things broadens my perspective. I get that some topics are more interesting to others, as I have my own focuses.

We should have Skadi be somewhat like the Inkwells club that Tolkien, Lewis and Chesterton belonged to, as a debate society of sorts, but whether this activity consists of critiquing others or ourselves as Germanics, should follow the natural course to full exposition. You know, going on until the cows come home, because you've become lost for words. Then, maybe something else will be stimulating enough to replace that, unless satisfaction is wanting, due to lack of ideological variety in membership--the current matter.

These criminal nights
    Last Online
    1 Minute Ago @ 08:27 AM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pride
    It's probably also why the Anglosphere is poorly represented on Skadi, despite its large number of Germanics and why some people can't and don't recommend Skadi to their Germanic friends and acquaintances.
    Do you really think Anglos are poorly represented? We have plenty of Anglo members. Aren't they even the majority? It is true that we lost much of our core Anglo membership from ages ago, a few dozen people maybe, including Oswiu and Aemma, but that has nothing to do with JMC. Or Hevneren. These Anglos already left Skadi before you arrived and before JMC/Hevneren signed up. It's because of the forum split in 2008, for which there were many different reasons. Sad. That's the nicest thing one can say about it. And look what fate ultimately befell them, as one after the other was banned in the Angloparadise that was supposed to be TA - or left in disgust. They turned on each other.

After you became a member we didn't lose that many Anglos or anti-NS people anymore. At any rate, the current level of activity has little to do with political tensions between ideological groups or bans dating back to 2010. Many people, perhaps most, don't even pick a side. And prior to this year that issue had completely disappeared into the background except in two threads (ask Juthunge whether he's sad about this) - both created by an Anglo.

Hevneren and JMC were not martyrs or victims though. You could argue that their antagonists pushed them over the edge in the end, perhaps, but their last few posts contained rule violations that would get anyone banned on this website. Spjabork and Nordmann had extreme anti-Anglo attitudes and were also banned. No-one was particularly sad to see them go. They're never brought up, no-one ever mentions them even though their bans only happened in the last few years, as opposed to a decade ago. One could be nasty and conclude that the anti-NS Anglos simply have a better memory than the pro-NS crowd.
    “Traditionally, sex has been a very private, secretive activity. Herein perhaps lies its powerful force for uniting people in a strong bond. As we make sex less secretive, we may rob it of its power to hold men and women together.” - Thomas Szasz, “The Second Sin”

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R-YP355
    mtDNA
    K2a5a
    Country
    England England
    State
    Rhode Island Rhode Island
    Leo
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Docker
    Politics
    Hanoverian Whig
    Religion
    Ancestor veneration
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts
    Spjabork was on my friends list. No animosity. Although some of his verbiage crossed the line of personal attacks, I request WuotansKrieger back. He and I didn't see eye-to-eye, but he I believe could come back different.

The Germanic Orthodoxy
    Last Online
    7 Hours Ago @ 12:40 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordid-CM
    Religion of the Blood
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pride View Post
    Some people simply can't handle the fact that not everybody worships Hitler and that Germanic is not equal to only German. The recent reaction to some proud British pictures from the gallery made it clear to me what the root of the issue is.
    You mean the thread opened by a Canadian of predominantly British ancestry, where no one, apart from the OP (and even he only for a specific point in time), actually disputed the fact that everyone has the right to be proud of his nation? And where almost only Anglos argued, with more NS leaning members on both sides of the discussion? Ok.

People should really stop feeling insulted all the time.

It's probably also why the Anglosphere is poorly represented on Skadi, despite its large number of Germanics and why some people can't and don't recommend Skadi to their Germanic friends and acquaintances.
    I guess by poorly represented you mean making up about 70% of our membership or so? While there are about three active Germans.

We have problems with activity but these are none of them.
    And the day they sold us out, Our hearts grew cold
    'Cause we were never asked, No brother, we were told!
    What do they know of Europe, Who only Europe know?

Ancient DNA: List of All Studies analyzing DNA of Ancient Tribes and Ethnicities(post-2010)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Juthunge For This Useful Post:

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Dutch, Low German & French
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Married parent
    Politics
    Free & Libertarian
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodskarl Dubhgall View Post
    Skadi used to be promoted by linking at other message boards, both by staff like Thorburn and others among us generally who had multiple board memberships. All the spin-offs had Skadi as nucleus, but with this idea that one board had to be completely one way and another some other way, it had a chilling effect on mutual growth after a time.
    That sounds like a good idea, but how many boards that are similar to Skadi exist? I personally don't know of any other Germanic boards. I know there is Stormfront, but Stormfront is rather white nationalist. It could still be a possible recruiting ground for new faces. The American WN/alt-right scene does include a lot of Germanics ethnically speaking. Personally, I don't hang out on Stormfront because it's not my cup of tea.

Since Skadi is very specialised and in what new generations call an outdated media format, it's unlikely to attract the highly individualistic, low attention span demographic that's prolific throughout the West with all the dumbing down that's been done. Highbrow seems to have had its day, what with the nerdification of pop culture and subsequent lack of dry interests beyond superficial parody.
    Yes, the format is a bit outdated and that may be an issue when it comes to attracting the youth. Could this be changed? If so, what should change? Is allowing people the option to post without an account feasible, for example, or using some social media plugin, like newspaper comment sections do? Perhaps moderated, though.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Idis For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast