Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    407 Posts

Archbishop of Canterbury Baffled by Christians Who Back Trump

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/a...-trump-n824001

LONDON — England's top religious authority, the Archbishop of Canterbury, said Sunday that he doesn't understand why so many Christians in the U.S. support President Donald Trump.

The Most Reverend Justin Welby told ITV's "Peston on Sunday" program that he "really genuinely" can't comprehend why fundamentalists have provided such a strong base for Trump.

"There's two things going through my mind: do I say what I think, or do I say what I should say? And I'm going to say what I think," he said on the show, referring to the support Trump has garnered, especially from so-called Evangelical Christians. "No, I don't understand it. I really genuinely do not understand where that is coming from."

Welby did say he would be willing to attend a state dinner in Trump's honor if the president comes to Britain on an official visit.

He noted that he's met with worse people than the president of the United States.

"I spent years and years involved in conflict stuff around the world where I met people who had killed many, many people," he told ITV.

He said part of his job is to meet with people he disagrees with "and to testify with the love of Christ to them and to seek to draw them in a different way."

Trump has accepted an invitation for a state visit to Britain, but no date has been set. Though he said he'd meet Trump, Welby also said, "It'd be unlikely I'd do more than shake hands with him."

Last Online
    Sunday, December 31st, 2017 @ 11:16 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Sweden, North Germany
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Pisces
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    There is a difference between conservative idealists and secular right-wing realists. The former are religious and the latter not.

The Trump campaign recognized which demographic to flatter and validate to get elected. I do not believe Trump is who he claims to be.

And I do not believe in leaders who flatter a constituency to get power. This is not leadership. It’s simply holding down the-other-side so your chosen constituency can play mafia for the next 4-8 years. Given the obstacles both sides place in front of the other after elections are over, I do not think people truly believe in elections and democracy unless they win. They’re all willing to become traitors or obstructions to the country when their side isn’t in power.