Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts

Stop Saying "You Are Beautiful"

You are beautiful.”

I see it on billboards. On stickers clinging to parking signs. I see it in the restroom at the local coffee shop, where it’s written on a Post-it note stuck to the mirror above the sink. In a Chicago suburb, those driving to the local high school see it painted in giant sans-serif lettering above an underpass.

I sigh every time I see those three words.

I believe the message is well intended. I understand that it’s a reaction to a culture that makes people (especially women) feel so ugly, so often. But as a psychologist and body image researcher, I also believe the ubiquitous “you are beautiful” message is misguided at best and harmful at worst.

First, there is no evidence that women struggling to appreciate their looks actually believe that message. Words are powerful, but they’re not magic. Do we really think that the onslaught of airbrushed-to-perfection media images and the sting of body-shaming trolls can somehow be battled with a simple, “You are beautiful”? Given a lifetime of reminders that women’s bodies are almost never acceptable the way they are, what kind of impact could those words realistically have?

Every day, women move around in a culture that does its level best to make them dissatisfied with what they see in the mirror. A well-intentioned message on a Post-it stuck to a mirror is unlikely to make a woman feel better about her appearance. In fact, there are good reasons to think it will make her feel worse.

To start, women will often discount or disbelieve the “You are beautiful” message. Social psychologists have amassed decades of research demonstrating that when a message is inconsistent with what you believe, you tend to generate counterarguments in response to it. Instead of making a woman feel better about how she looks, reading that “You are beautiful” may instead send her down the road to mentally reviewing everything she finds non-beautiful about herself. “You are beautiful” prompts “No, I’m not. And here’s my evidence.”

Research by psychologists at the University of Waterloo and University of New Brunswick demonstrated how this process might unfold. Though focused on general self-esteem (instead of appearance self-esteem), the results are clearly applicable to “You are beautiful.” The researchers found that asking individuals with low self-esteem to repeat the phrase “I’m a lovable person” made them feel worse about themselves, instead of better. The “lovable” affirmation only worked for people who already felt pretty good about themselves. Perhaps “You are beautiful” acts as a brief confidence boost for a woman who already feels attractive, but what is it doing to the many women who struggle with profound body image issues?

There’s another, more important reason to question the efficacy of the “You are beautiful” message. Those three words immediately draw your attention to how you look. You might have been having a perfectly lovely day, thinking about things that have nothing to do with your appearance. But you can’t encounter “You are beautiful” without taking a moment to wonder, “Wait, am I?”

That drawing of attention to one’s appearance is bad news. Research has demonstrated that one of the reasons even brief exposure to all those Photoshopped media images of women makes women feel so awful is because these types of images activate appearance schemas. In other words, they heighten our awareness of and attention to information that’s focused on appearance — our own and others’. A study of elementary-school girls in Australia found a similar effect for appearance-focused conversations with peers. Girls who frequently talked about appearance with their friends seemed to feel worse about their bodies, because those conversations increased the time they spent thinking about how they looked. Women don’t need anything else from this culture reminding us that we should be thinking about how we look. We get enough reminders already.

There’s something disingenuous about expecting a woman to live in a culture that systematically reminds her of every failure to meet an absurd beauty ideal and then asking her to nonetheless feel beautiful. Instead of telling women they are beautiful, let’s tell them they don’t have to be. Let’s remind the women in our lives that we value them for what they do, not how they look.

I’m in favor of positive, affirming messages. But why not focus those messages on qualities over which we have much more control? Let’s direct our attention to attributes that matter more than how we look.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-are-beautiful

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nachtengel For This Useful Post:

Omnia in bonum
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Subrace
    Nordid + CM
    mtDNA
    K1c2
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Personally, I think the phrase is overused and somewhat of an empty platitude, and the mode of self-esteem that has been propagated since the 1960s has been very harmful.
    Let us not desire delights, daughters; we are well-off here; the bad inn lasts for only a night.
    -St. Teresa of Avila

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    57 Minutes Ago @ 09:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    England & Norway
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Zodiac Sign
    Taurus
    Politics
    Tradition, Monarchy, Nationalism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    If I see a woman that's attractive, I'm still going to use it lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sigurdsson For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    United Kingdom, Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Germany, France
    mtDNA
    H1c12
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Aries
    Politics
    Pro-Trump, Nationalist
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    391 Posts
    I like hearing it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elizabeth For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Sunday, September 29th, 2019 @ 09:42 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic New World - South African
    Ancestry
    German, Dutch, Belgian, French, English, Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    I personally like a message in the following example: "Your life is meaningful"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GermanicAfrican For This Useful Post: