Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: On Substantiating Claims, Sources & Credibility

  1. #1
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Nachtengel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Gender
    Posts
    5,863
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    78
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    672
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

    On Substantiating Claims, Sources & Credibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer View Post
    One thing I would recommend, however, is that more attention should be paid to substantiating outlandish claims. This is especially true with respect to claims about Jewish ancestry. Not every scumbag is a Jew. There is plenty of verifiable evidence that Jews have been a plague on our nations, so there's no need to make things up unless we want to further reinforce the public perception that we're a bunch of schizophrenics.
    If you're talking about that Stalin = Jewish story, it was substantiated with sources, you just didn't give credibility to the sources. Sometimes the sources are wrong, but the only way to find out is to make a claim and discuss it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Ward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 01:20 AM
    Ethnicity
    Vinlandic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Irish
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Location
    The Wild Frontier
    Gender
    Posts
    697
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    35
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    32
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    If you're talking about that Stalin = Jewish story, it was substantiated with sources, you just didn't give credibility to the sources. Sometimes the sources are wrong, but the only way to find out is to make a claim and discuss it.
    Just because something is written somewhere on the internet does not give it credibility. One of the biggest problems our movement suffers from is a lack of credibility with the public. Considering how sensitive a topic the Jewish question has become, it might make sense for us make an effort to dot all of our "i"s and cross all of our "t"s.

  3. #3
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Nachtengel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Gender
    Posts
    5,863
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    78
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    672
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer View Post
    Just because something is written somewhere on the internet does not give it credibility. One of the biggest problems our movement suffers from is a lack of credibility with the public. Considering how sensitive a topic the Jewish question has become, it might make sense for us make an effort to dot all of our "i"s and cross all of our "t"s.
    So define what makes a source credible then. Which are the parameters.

  4. #4
    Secure a future for Germanic children
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Bärin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Berlin Berlin
    Location
    Berlin
    Gender
    Age
    29
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    National Communism
    Religion
    Atheism
    Posts
    1,902
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    75
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    246
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer View Post
    Just because something is written somewhere on the internet does not give it credibility. One of the biggest problems our movement suffers from is a lack of credibility with the public. Considering how sensitive a topic the Jewish question has become, it might make sense for us make an effort to dot all of our "i"s and cross all of our "t"s.
    People who are sensitive about the "Jewish question" will find any source critical of Jews racist and nazi, doesn't matter who wrote it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 01:20 AM
    Ethnicity
    Vinlandic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Irish
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Location
    The Wild Frontier
    Gender
    Posts
    697
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    35
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    32
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    So define what makes a source credible then. Which are the parameters.
    Let me put it this way, a source is not credible when it alleges something such as Stalin was a Jew based on the easily refutable claim that his original surname translates into "Jewison."

    Quote Originally Posted by Bärin View Post
    People who are sensitive about the "Jewish question" will find any source critical of Jews racist and nazi, doesn't matter who wrote it.
    What you say is unfortunately the reality of the situation right now, which is why we need to combat these negative perceptions with facts and logic.
    Last edited by Ward; Thursday, December 31st, 2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: rephrased

  6. #6
    Senior Member Horagalles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 01:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    mainly UP
    Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Gender
    Politics
    Natural Order
    Posts
    1,376
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    So define what makes a source credible then. Which are the parameters.
    Credibility is subjective by definition, but I think there are some general rules.
    Personally I would be looking for the of primary sources that are verifyable and arguments that are constructed logically. Other people will look for more circumstantial issues like authorities being used - and of course they will also be looking for correct spelling, grammar, semantics etc.

    So to make a good point get your facts and logic right, but also avoid any edges that a potential opponent can get its grip on and play a polemical game with.
    "And God proclaims as a first principle to the rulers, and above all else, that there is nothing which they should so anxiously guard, or of which they are to be such good guardians, as of the purity of the race. They should observe what elements mingle in their offspring;..." Plato Politeia

  7. #7
    Senior Member Horagalles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 01:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    mainly UP
    Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Gender
    Politics
    Natural Order
    Posts
    1,376
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Holle View Post
    Thank you, Resist.

    Unfortunately, nowadays many people write in a hurry and forget to proof read their entries. It happens all over the Internet. Just because it's the Internet, it doesn't mean everything has to be sloppy. Attention to details is what made Germanics so efficient and productive over the centuries. Let's try to honour that reputation.
    Like in mXit or SMS language?

    Correct spelling and grammar is important to get understood correctly. If it lacks the right orthography, people will dismiss an otherwise good thought. People do not always analyze WHAT is said, they also do consider how it is said or who said it.
    "And God proclaims as a first principle to the rulers, and above all else, that there is nothing which they should so anxiously guard, or of which they are to be such good guardians, as of the purity of the race. They should observe what elements mingle in their offspring;..." Plato Politeia

  8. #8
    Anachronism "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Huginn ok Muninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Gender
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Posts
    3,017
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    581
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    711
    Thanked in
    338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer View Post
    Just because something is written somewhere on the internet does not give it credibility. One of the biggest problems our movement suffers from is a lack of credibility with the public. Considering how sensitive a topic the Jewish question has become, it might make sense for us make an effort to dot all of our "i"s and cross all of our "t"s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    So define what makes a source credible then. Which are the parameters.
    On the topic of credibility, it relates directly to the original sentiment. When reading message boards, if a person cannot spell correctly, and use proper grammar, capitalization, and punctuation, it detracts mightily from whatever his point may be. Whether or not it is true, the first thing entering my mind is, "you're a moron, and not worth my attention." Of course, when the poster's first language is not English, that poster gets a lot of slack from me, but it is usually not needed. The most guilty are the lazy and stupid native English speakers, which happily are very few on Skadi.

Similar Threads

  1. What Are Your News Sources?
    By Siebenbürgerin in forum Articles & Current Affairs
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: Saturday, June 8th, 2019, 09:31 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Tuesday, October 10th, 2017, 12:47 PM
  3. The Sources of Skáldskaparmál
    By Frans_Jozef in forum Heathen Texts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Thursday, May 19th, 2005, 01:11 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •