Throne and Altar
    Religion
    Aryajnana
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Your Tribal Origins

What are your tribal origins? Perhaps you may know already or perhaps it will require looking at which tribes inhabited the specific area your ancestors were from but nonetheless an interesting way to look at your origin outside the more modern (or at least post-medieval) national and ethnic identities.

Perhaps this will be an intruiging way to answer, starting with me:

Direct Paternal Origins: My direct paternal lineage is Scottish but of Norse origin, not just etymologically but also genetically. As to the specific tribe, I suppose that's a bit more mysterious but some clan histories of my paternal line claim my ancestors were from Rogaland and thus may be connected with the Rugii or Rugians.

General Paternal Origins: My father is Anglo-Scottish and hence would be primarily connected with typical British tribal origins, namely Angles, Saxons, Britons, Picts (if you count them as separate from Britons), Gaels, Norsemen, etc.

Direct Maternal Origins: I know patrilineality on one's mother's side isn't as important, but just to follow the same model as above, my mother's father's family was from Rhenish Franconia. I believe the two main tribes would thus be Franks and Alemanni. Some of the older tribes would probably be the Vangiones, Nemetes, and Ubii.

General Maternal Origins: My mother is mostly German and Irish with a smaller percentage of English. Her general tribal origins would thus be Franks, Alemanni, Gaels, Angles, Saxons, Britons, and Danes (her mother's family from Lincolnshire where nearly all the surrounding towns are of Danish etymological origin.)

On both my father and mother's side there is a more distant and smaller Dutch/Belgian/Frisian component and so you could add the Belgae, continental Saxons, Franks, and Frisians for that.

How about you all?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Plantagenet For This Useful Post:

Eala Freia Fresena
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, April 12th, 2020 @ 07:31 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Friese
    Ancestry
    Friesland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married
    Occupation
    selfemployed
    Politics
    rightwing
    Religion
    none/pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    My Father's side is Frisian with further down the line some Hessian influence.

If I go back before the 15th century it is Helvetians (Switzerland)

My mothers line are Ambsivarian, a neighbor tribe to the Frisian (west and East)

As Frisians are closely related to Saxons and Danes, most likely the origin are Danish people. (There were a lot of intermarriage between nobles between Danes, Frisian and Saxon ((Herzog Widukind was married to a Danish princess, her stone grave is still in the Teutoburger Wald, the homeland of the Saxons)))
    weel nich will dieken dej mot wieken

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ocko For This Useful Post:

The lineage on my father's side comes from Saarland in Germany, while on my mother's side her lineage is descended primarily from Germans from Russia. My grandfather is quite proud of the Schwäbisch dialekt he inherited from his parents.

That's the abbreviated version of my genetic history but I know there's much more to it than I know. There's Welsh, English, and French in my blood as well considering my grandmother's lineages, but they both are somewhat ignorant of their backgrounds. "Euromutts" so to speak.

I can't point to any "tribe" necessarily besides looking at a map and pointing to the tribe which at one time inhabited the region.

Last Online
    Monday, September 2nd, 2019 @ 09:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ancestry
    British-German
    Subrace
    Nordid-Cromagnid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Throne and Altar
    Religion
    Aryajnana
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    The lineage on my father's side comes from Saarland in Germany, while on my mother's side her lineage is descended primarily from Germans from Russia. My grandfather is quite proud of the Schwäbisch dialekt he inherited from his parents.

That's the abbreviated version of my genetic history but I know there's much more to it than I know. There's Welsh, English, and French in my blood as well considering my grandmother's lineages, but they both are somewhat ignorant of their backgrounds. "Euromutts" so to speak.

I can't point to any "tribe" necessarily besides looking at a map and pointing to the tribe which at one time inhabited the region.
    Well I suppose the tribes that inhabited the area may have eventually evacuated, mixed, and newcomers may have come in but there likely has to be some element of those tribes in your ancestral history. So I suppose for your case with ancestors from Saarland it would be Treveri, Mediomatrici, likely Franks, etc.

If I were to isolate just my main paternal lineage, the core would be a Norse tribe of some sort as mentioned in my initial post but based on where they settled that same line would have likely mixed with Bernician Angles, Picts, and the Britons of Strathclyde/Goddodin.

I figured the thread may prove interesting because it may reveal more about the deeper origins of ones lineage that reaches back before the more modern constructions of national identities. This in turn may lead to greater specifics for those interested in folklore and folk traditions, ancient history, etc.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Friday, February 4th, 2022 @ 09:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    450 Posts
    Anybody interested in tribal origins ought to check out MyTrueAncestry. Once uploading your DNA file, you can find out which tribes make up your ancestry. If you are Germanic, trust that you will find many of the major tribes in history. I've got some intuitions how certain tribes got into my blood and when, partly helped by the proportions involved and where. If you're curious about other meta-ethnic origins, those are there for them who have that. I've found that ideas of a mass intermingling of Whiteness irrespective of type of Indo-European is unfounded, at least in my case. Other than Germanic, I've only got Celtic, because I'm English, but if you have others from elsewhere in Europe, your results will tell for them as well.