@
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    351 Posts

Dissimilar Siblings

Sometimes it happens that two siblings not only don't resemble, but they seem like they don't share the same parents.

Examples. I saw one by Sigurd in another thread, Dinko and Mirna Jukic (Croatians):

Another example, Hayden and Jansen Panettiere (Americans of Italian & French-Canadian ancestry):

Give more examples please.

Renewed
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Country
    United States United States
    Jaded
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    My brother and I are extremely dissimilar in appearance, personality, intelligence, etc. No one ever guesses we are siblings or even related.
    "I do not know what horrified me most at that time: the economic misery of my companions, their moral and ethical coarseness, or the low level of their intellectual development." Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf

Last Online
    Friday, February 8th, 2019 @ 10:19 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt
    Ancestry
    West Country Zider 'ead.
    Subrace
    Brünn/Keltic-Nordic
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Family
    Engaged
    Occupation
    Slinger
    Politics
    Uncer Dæg Willa Becuman
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Could someone enlighten me as to how the examples posited are dissimilar?
    They look very similar in facial structure, but only differ by the virtue of their eyes and hair colour.

Last Online
    Friday, May 13th, 2011 @ 12:32 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, Germany, Ireland
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Teacher
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My sister and I are two totally different people. However we can resemble each other, it really just depends on the day. Someday's people tell us we look so alike while other days people will simply tell us we have the same eyes.

When we were younger I don't think we looked anything alike, however the coloring in our eyes has always remained the same. We were both born with blonde hair and blue eyes. I believe that my sister has always resembled both my parents equally, because she has never looked like one more than the other. Everyone tells me that I am the chameleon in the family, I can look like either one, it just depends on who I am standing right next to, what pictures you are comparing them to. When I stand next to my daddy I look just like him. When I stand next to my momma, I look just like her. In baby pictures I can look like either... It all really just depends, and in other pictures I can look like my grandmother (my dad's mother) even though she has darker eyes than I do.

I believe that my sister and I look more alike now rather then when we were little. The older we get the more we look a little more alike. We are still totally different people though. She is more of the wild one in the family, she never really cared about school or academics, she could care less about what anyone thinks about her, she says anything and everything that is on her mind and if you don't like it then f*** you. She hides her feelings and emotions, and she only shows very few people her gentle side, she's funny and sarcastic, she is very independent, but she is one of best people I have ever known my entire life, she is always shy until she gets to know you. She isn't always around, but she will always be there, she likes to do her own thing and no one will tell her otherwise.

I'm the more quiet and reserved type, I always did what my parents told me to do, I never want to hurt anyones feelings or be mean, I never say what's on my mind except when its extremely important to, I am not outspoken, I try and sugar coat things because I am afraid I will hurt someone's feelings, I am easily hurt, I carry my feelings and emotions on my shoulder. I always try to be very happy and polite, I am funny but not all that sarcastic. I always did good in school and never was caught dead skipping classes or being late. I had guy friends but that is as far as it went, I never got around (my husband was my first in a lot of ways). I am shy too, but I warm up a lot faster to people. I am always very friendly, and even to some people that I cannot stand (I have my reasons, trust me).

To some it all up, everyone in life is different, that is why God created us as individuals, so that way we could stand out from one another. There is nothing wrong with being different because that is what makes every person unique, well if you aren't acting anyway and trying to be something you aren't

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Siblings with Different Racial Classifications

Imagine a family from a typical ethnically mixed country like the United States or Russia, due to the variety of racial types and racial interbreeding in these countries, can siblings of the same family receive different racial classifications?

Take Joaquin Phoenix and his brother River Phoenix, the looked very different in my opinion.

Last Online
    Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 @ 06:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ancestry
    British Isles/Germany/Sweden/Netherlands
    Subrace
    Trønder
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Right
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It is completely possible and not all that uncommon for sibblings to have different phenotypes. It is all about which genes they inherit and which genes they express.

I would also say that in areas where individuals with different phenotypes often interbreed this process can be seen at a much higher rate.

Take Coon's Borreby man (Plate 5 example 1) and his son a Corded Nordic (Plate 27 example 3).
    http://carnby.altervista.org/troe/p-05.htm
    http://carnby.altervista.org/troe/p-27.htm
    We don't know what the mother looked like, but it goes to show how much variation can occur from generation to generation. The son could have possibly passed down the Nordic phenotype or the Borreby phenotype (or even an intermediate of the two).

For an individuals genotype and phenotype it all depends on which genes are inherited, expressed, dominant, recessive, and plain old chance.

Hammer of Thor

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Family
    Married parent
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    147 Posts
    Jared Leto and his brother Shannon look quite different.

Ben and Casey Affleck

Gisele and Patricia Bundchen are actually fraternal twins

Rooney and Kate Mara

Ryan and Mandi Gosling

Andrew, Owen, and Luke Wilson

I can honestly see a resemblence between the latter two, but not Andrew.

Matt and Kevin Dillon

Rumer and Tallulah Willis

Kylie and Dannii Minogue

Lady Gaga and Natali Germanotta

Miley and Brandi Cyrus

Zooey and Emily Deschanel have the same eyes, but different facial morphology and jaw lines

Blake Lively has two red-headed sisters, the same gene did not manifest in her.

Another case where only one of the siblings came out ginger, Rupert and James Grint

Lucy and Maggie Hale

Dissimilar only in terms of pigmentation, Linn Berggren and sister Jenny, the first is blonde haired and blue eyed, the second brown haired and brown eyed. In terms of morphology one can tell they are sisters.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    351 Posts
    Here's the explanation behind it:

Why do my brother and I look so different?

-An elementary school student from California

September 4, 2008

This is a great question! There are two main reasons you two do not look alike. The first is that the two of you didn't grow up the same way. And the second is that even though you have the same parents, you don't have the same genes.

Different Environment

The way you grew up is what geneticists call your environment. It includes where you grow up, what you eat, and what you do. It also includes what your mom did and ate while she was pregnant with you.

All of these things play a role in the way you look. People are different in part because no two people grow up in the same environment. Not even twins are together all the time!

One example of how your environment can affect the way you look is in your height. There are certain periods in your life when what you do plays a big part in your height. Two of these times are when you are first born and when you hit puberty.

If you do not eat well during these two times then you will be shorter. But if you eat well then you will be taller. Extreme examples of this include neglected kids and kids in war zones. They tend to be much shorter than average.

There are lots of other traits affected by the environment. Things like personality, weight, and intelligence just to name a few. While the environment is important, getting different gene versions from your parents is probably an even bigger reason for why you and your brother ended up so different.

Different Gene Versions

Your genes play a big role in making you who you are. The color of your hair, the color of your eyes, and the dimples on your cheeks are all controlled in part by your genes.

At first it might seem like kids from the same parents should look alike. After all, kids get their genes from the same parents.

But brothers and sisters don't look exactly alike because everyone (including parents) actually has two copies of most of their genes. And these copies can be different.

Parents pass one of their two copies of each of their genes to their kids. Which copy a child gets is totally random. And this is a big reason why you don't look like your brother.

This is all a bit abstract so let's use a specific example to hopefully make it all clearer. Let's look at the dimples some people have when they smile.

The gene that makes dimples comes in two forms (or alleles), D and d. D gives you dimples and d means no dimples.

Like almost all genes, you have two copies of the gene that can give you dimples. It is obvious what happens if you have two D copies -- you have dimples. And two d copies clearly means no dimples.

But what about a D and a d copy? Then you have dimples. In genetics speak, we say that D is dominant over d (or that d is recessive to D).

OK so what does that have to do with you and your brother? Let's do an example with some parents to show why this matters.

Let's say your dad has a D and a d copy. He has dimples but might pass the d (no dimple) copy to you. He is a carrier of no dimples.

Which copy he passes to you is random. It's like flipping a quarter. Half of the time you get heads and half of the time you get tails. So there is a 50% chance you get D and a 50% chance you get d from your dad.

Let's say your mom doesn't have dimples. This means that both of her copies are d. Which means she can only pass a d to you.

So combining one copy from your dad and one copy from your mom means you either have D and d (Dd) or d and d (dd).

What this means is that each of your parents' children has a 50-50 shot at dimples (Dd) and a 50-50 shot at no dimples (dd). If you got d from dad and your brother got D, then your brother would have dimples and you wouldn't.

Having dimples or not is just one example of many ways in which you and your brother may be different. Every person has about 20,000 genes. And many of these genes come in different versions.

So for every gene where your dad has two different copies, then you and your brother have a 50-50 shot of getting a different version. Same thing with your mom.

Let's say that your parents each had 10,000 genes with different versions. The odds that you and your brother would get the same versions of each gene is really, really small. It's the same as flipping a quarter and getting heads 10,000 times in a row!

The odds aren't actually that low

A big assumption we made in coming up with these odds is that genes are independent of each other. In other words, each gene is passed on without any other gene affecting it.

This would be true if each of our genes is physically separate from the others. But they're not. Your genes are strung together on chromosomes. We have 20,000 genes on just 23 pairs of chromosomes. That means each of the chromosomes has lots of genes.

Parents do not pass genes to their kids -- they pass chromosomes. So if genes are next to each other on chromosomes, then they often get passed down together.

Let's say that the gene for dimples is next to the gene for wet earwax. Wet earwax comes in two versions W and w. Imagine your dad has D and W on one chromosome and d and w on the other chromosome.

So if you have dimples, then most likely you'll have wet earwax too. And if you don't have dimples, you'll have dry ear wax (at least in this example).

In other words, if you get D, you are almost certain to get W. And if you get d, you are almost certain to get w.

Brothers Can Be Really Different

Just like how you don't think you look like your brother there is a similar example that has even made the news. Twin boys were born in July 2008. One had white skin color and the other had black skin color!

How did this happen? First the twins are fraternal. This means their genes are as similar as non-twin brothers. Second they have a white German father and a black African mother. Children of similar mixed-race parents usually have a blended skin tone.

However examples such as these German twins happen from time to time. This is because there are at least seven different genes that affect skin tone. It's all up to chance which combinations the two brothers got. And in this case they got two very different combinations!
    https://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask279

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, January 6th, 2019 @ 05:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    Aryo-Germanic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 3/8 English, 1/8 Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    V10b
    Country
    England England
    State
    Northumberland Northumberland
    Scorpio
    Family
    Parent,Co-habiting
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Exposing idiocy
    Religion
    Wodenist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    253 Posts
    There is a possibility that siblings may not share any DNA in common-unlikely but not impossible. As we only inherit 50% of our AuDNA from each parent that inheritance is random and the amount of common DNA shared by siblings will vary from one sibling to another and this is why siblings can either closely resemble each other or appear to be entirely different.

Last Online
    6 Days Ago @ 05:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Ancestry
    British Isles, Germany, Low Countries
    Subrace
    North Atlantid
    Country
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Far Right
    Religion
    Atheist (Protestant upbringing)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    This is possible, but uncommon. It has to do with the probabilities of genetic inheritance and phenotype manifestations. Siblings share 50% of DNA on average, so they often look similar but can look very similar or almost unrelated. Identical twins share 100% of their DNA so they always look very similar. I knew a girl in high school who had dark brown hair, brown eyes, and a olive complexion, while her younger sister had blue eyes, light brown hair, and pale skin. Interestingly, each of them had almost the same body size/shape and their facial features (bone structure, eye/nose/face shape) were almost identical. Her younger sister was like a bleached version of herself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast