View Poll Results: What generation are you a part of?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • G.I. Generation

0 0%
  • Silent Generation

0 0%
  • Baby boomers

2 7.69%
  • Generation X

12 46.15%
  • Generation Y (Millennial)

11 42.31%
  • Generation Z (Post-Millenial)

1 3.85%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Generations

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago @ 11:00 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    North Western Europe
    Country
    South Africa South Africa
    State
    Transvaal Transvaal
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarsOsix View Post
    I'm not really sure whether I'd be "millennial" or "post-millennial". I notice a big cultural difference between people my age and the cohort just maybe a year or two below that I don't see going up, so I'm inclined to think the former.
    Honestly, I didn't fit in either and didn't really try to neither.

Still I'm right in the middle, realizing I could have done things better, and actually I'm eager on doing exactly that from now.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English
    Subrace
    Trønder-Jæder
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Z284 Norwegian
    mtDNA
    U8b-K2a5a1 English
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Wayfarer
    Politics
    Anglonordic
    Religion
    Troth & Tru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    We are told that each succeeding generation is either more left or right than before. This is just a form of trying to influence the masses by stereotyping them 50/50 inclusive/exclusive. Either seen half full or half empty, it's like how a broken clock is right twice a day. I don't buy it.

I've now figured that a so-called "cusp" would have to be the children of those from two separate generations. It's the only biological proof of such a thing.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    The Complete Guide To Generation Alpha, The Children Of Millennials

More than 22 million millennial parents live in the U.S., with about 9,000 generation Alpha babies born to them each day.

And remember, to date the oldest member of the generation is only six years old.

Chevy Corvette, Downy fabric softener, Life cereal… what brand these days hasn’t identified- and blamed- millennials as the demographic causing the decline of their annual sales? Companies have been hearing for years now that resonating with the millennial generation is vital for strategic growth: they are comprised of more than 83 million consumers, have $200 billion in annual buying power and will spend $10 trillion over their lifetimes… all in the U.S. alone. As the largest generation in the workforce they simultaneously command influence over entire industries (auto, health, food and beverage) and other demographics (generation X and baby boomers) alike.

Still, though so many analysts have quantified the importance of the millennial generation, few have examined the effect of their diverse offspring, generation Alpha. Born since the year 2010 (and until the year 2025), generation Alpha are the children of millennials. This new generation hasn’t even established credit, and yet they’re impacting the spending behaviors of their millennial parents (who also happen to be entering their prime spending years).

More than 22 million millennial parents live in the U.S., with about 9,000 generation Alpha babies born to them each day. According to social researcher Mark McCrindle, 2.5 million members of Generation Alpha are born every week around the world. Research Director Dan Schawbel at Future Workplace cites that as of July 2014 there were nearly 21 million children under the age of four years old in the U.S. alone. The eldest members of this generation started kindergarten this year but in 2050 (when they turn 40) the Generation Alpha population is predicted to reach 35 million. When all the members of this generation have been born, they will number almost two billion.

Obviously, children have influenced their parent’s spending behaviors for decades. It has been reported children under 12 and teens influence parental purchases totaling between $130 to 670 billion a year. However it appears that never before has there been such a passionate, intense and borderline obsessive relationship between two generations as the one between millennials and generation Alpha.

As children, only about six-in-ten millennials were raised by both parents, so naturally as parents millennials place parenthood and marriage far above career and financial success. They place high value on good parenting and are somewhat more likely than other generations to say being a parent is extremely important to their identity. Fully six-in-ten parents whose oldest (or only) child is a member of generation Alpha say being a parent is rewarding all of the time. And only four-in-ten millennials can admit they consider themselves a parent who sometimes praises their generation Alpha child too much.

For many millennials, their generation Alpha offspring will be their only gift to our world. Literally. One-child families have gained ground; today 18% of women at the end of their childbearing years have an only child, up from 10% in 1976. Coincidentally because they’re more likely to be only children, members of Generation Alpha have a greater chance of growing up selfish and expecting instant gratification. This should sound familiar, as millennials are often categorized as having the same characteristics.

Typically, the brands blaming millennials for causing the decline of their annual sales are those who historically don’t divert from traditional (outdated) strategies. 84% of millennials tune out traditional strategies. Yet as engaged parents, they do pay close attention to their children. There are organizations leveraging that passionate, intense and borderline obsessive relationship, and using it to their advantage. Since 2010 investors have plunged over $2 billion into startups addressing the US K-12 edtech market, and fast-food industry aside between $11 and $13 billion annually is spent by companies advertising to children in America. Plus when they do shop these children aren’t just buying toys for themselves; generation Alpha is spending around $18 billion a year of their (“earned”) money on purchases for themselves, siblings, parents, friends and other family members.

And remember, to date the oldest member of the generation is only six years old.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/christi.../#241c835c3623

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English
    Subrace
    Trønder-Jæder
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Z284 Norwegian
    mtDNA
    U8b-K2a5a1 English
    Country
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Wayfarer
    Politics
    Anglonordic
    Religion
    Troth & Tru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blod og Jord View Post
    I'm not sure. I was born in 1980, doesn that make me a Generation X or a Millennial?
    If your parents or their siblings have children older or younger than you, you belong with them in the same generation, because first cousins cannot technically belong to separate generations, all being descended from one or the other couple of grandparents.

Quote Originally Posted by Gefjon View Post
    Generations according to the Strauss–Howe generational theory:

1. G.I. Generation (1901–1924)
    2. Silent Generation (1925–1942)
    3. Baby Boom Generation (1943–1960)
    4. Generation X (1961–1981)
    5. Millennial Generation(1982–2004)
    6. Homeland Generation (2005–present)

According to this classification I'm a late Generation X-er.
    I'm supposed to be early X, but I almost never spent time with people younger than me unless I had to and most of my girlfriends were the same age or older.

Quote Originally Posted by Huginn ok Muninn View Post
    I loathe this entire concept and refuse to identify myself with any of these so-called "generations." I think this is simply another ploy by the enemy to divide us and define us in their own terms. I would bet anything they plotted this out decades ago as stages in their destruction of our people and culture. The "boomers" were the "sixties" generation, who they brainwashed to believe that being "counter-culture" was cool. "millennials" are their targeted generation to be outright anti-white, since beginning in the late 80s and early 90s, the music industry, led by (((Sumner Redstone))) and (((Edgar Bronfman))) only promoted white artists if they were the most pussified whiners like Beck and Radiohead, and only promoted black artists if they were hardcore "gangstas." This gave impressionable teenage white girls the idea that white men were weak and poor choices for mates, while black men were strong and masculine. Trust me, this was 100% intentional social engineering.
    It's not just Cultural Marxism. This is catching on for marketing ploys, human resources decisions and to make people easier for control generally, beyond any "Intersectionalism". Besides, most people look at Beck and Radiohead as almost one-hit wonders. Beck has "Loser", "Devil's Haircut", "Where It's At", while Radiohead just as "Creep". For every metrosexual like them, there are many more Pantera and Tool fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Gefjon View Post
    Yep, my generation was dubbed the "MTV Generation". Can't say I identify as any particular generation though, and I ain't ageist against young folks.

Have some faith in the youth, they're the future.
    I don't identify with any cookie-cutter generation with any label, other than as fellow grandchild of mutual grandchildren, all having grown up together and been told stories of our parents growing up together. That's more genuine than anything people are trying to compartmentalise their brains in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bärin View Post
    I'm a millennial but I don't identify with a generation either. My partner is an X-er and I get along with him more than I do with other millennials.

Overall the traits of generations are more along historical and technological lines. For example:

All that technocratic classification proves how unreal this is. Also, insofar as the "world events" are concerned, they're far less important than developments at home. As for defining ourselves relative to prime ministers like Thatcher or Presidents like Reagan, that pales in comparison to us all being QEII's grandchildren. Ah, yes, this reveals my age and that means sharing with William and Kate, but could do without Harry's retardisms.

Quote Originally Posted by notheywillnot View Post
    I was born in the late 90s making me Generation Z.

My generation seems to span from young people who just entered adulthood to young kids still in school. My generation is still being formed by today's world. The people of my generation embrace modernity but are arrogant due to us having little understanding of the real world.

In hopes of being able to answer your question about why post-millenials: I think that one of the greatest makers of the generation is that we are still enjoying life at youth. The "younger older-half" is aware of politics but do not bother enough to express themselves publicly probably because our lives are not being much affected by politics directly; many of us do not get direct politcal information but rather through social media; my friend and I often discuss politics and express our political views with our other friends and acquaintances, but never publicly. The oldest of our generation have just taken their step into true adulthood and need to focus their time on matters such as education, work and getting started in life and in their spare time they prefer relaxing and enjoying youth (hanging out, going out with friends etc..).

I can get along with millennials and the mid and older half of the post-millennials (I don't really get along with the younger ones). I have a small overlap with the X generation but nothing significant.

My parents are from Generation X.

I have a question. I've noticed that I am very young compared to some of you and wanted ask how young do users get here / how young are the youngest users here in the community
    Supposedly, I'm "Millennial", but one of my cousins (who's not the oldest) had children beginning at 16 in 1990, so I can see you as being the generation of a niece or nephew. I became a father in 2002, but that's at 20 for me, as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    I'm Generation X.
    If you say so. Early 70s began my generation, but Mid-70s ended my parents'.

Quote Originally Posted by SpearBrave View Post
    I'm generation X, but here is the Greatest Generation.

The Greatest Generation

I don't idolise any generation. "Boomers" caused a lot of social problems because their parents let them, so I can't put them on a pedestal, only see them in the context of their times.

Quote Originally Posted by Siebenbürgerin View Post
    Hmm, I understand what you mean, and I agree that we shouldn't use generation as a primary identity factor, however I think it's indisputable that certain general generational traits exist, of course they're generalisations like the traits of an era, nonetheless history can also be divided in eras, and generations have specific traits related to the time and age they developed in. For example, Gefjon mentioned the "MTV generation". Like Juthunge, I can't really identify with most peoples from the millennial generation and I get along better with peoples who are older than me, or with traditional, "old fashioned" peoples. Sometimes I have a feeling I was born in the wrong era. But my lack of identification also emphasizes the dominant mentality. But that said, I'm not a generationist, and won't discriminate someone just because they come from a certain generation.

Some other interesting informations to the topic of generations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straus...ational_theory
    I remarked on them earlier in the thread. I think it does help to identify by music, except I like most things my parents do, so it all rolls downhill. I've figured that whatever is too new for my parents to like, probably is indicative of something relative to my generation, so once my kids like something beyond what I put on the stereo, is definitional to theirs.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus.
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    10 Hours Ago @ 08:56 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Albion.
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    New York New York
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    'anti-semite'
    Politics
    Republicanism, traditionalism, .
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Generation Xer here. I'm bored, tired, etc. by millenials telling me how bad they have it.

All of my grandparents were born during "the roaring 20s" That is the 1920s.
    'Militia est vita hominis super terram [The life of man upon earth is a warfare] (Job 7:1).'

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123