Thread: Australia's Conservative Right Re-aligning - One Nation and Cory Bernardi's Australian Majority Party

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Monday, August 21st, 2017 @ 01:25 AM
    Ethnicity
    European Australian
    Ancestry
    Macedonia, Bulgaria
    Subrace
    Norid+CM
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Married parent
    Politics
    Ethnocracy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Australia's Conservative Right Re-aligning - One Nation and Cory Bernardi's Australian Majority Party

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ren...ed47f1ff6466aa

Popular One Nation Senator Pauline Hanson says she would be willing to join forces with maverick Liberal Cory Bernardi if he goes through with a suspected plan to quit in the new year and start his own conservative party.

In a stunning proposal that would send shockwaves through the Coalition, Hanson told me on 2GB radio on Monday that she would even consider ceding control of her party to Bernardi in order to lock in conservative voters disillusioned with the Coalition.

“I have a lot of respect for Cory, “ she said. “I’d love to work with him or join forces. If Cory wants to take over [One Nation] so be it but at the end of the day it has got to be on the issues that I want to fight for the people.”

Many of One Nation’s policies, especially its opposition to Islamic extremism, accord with views expressed by Bernardi, who was sacked from the Coalition front bench by Tony Abbott for making politically incorrect comments about same sex marriage and has remained in exile under Malcolm Turnbull.

Bernardi has hinted at forming a breakaway party named the Australian Majority, possibly as soon as February. He was unavailable for comment yesterday, but he is unlikely to rebuff Hanson’s offer to solidify conservative support for them both, rather than splitting the vote between them.

While Hanson has not yet spoken to Bernardi, who has been away on extended leave at the UN in New York, she says: “I like Cory. I think he’s great, but starting another political party on the conservative side is only going to split the vote...

“Cory’s frustrated with the... Coalition and he wants change and wants to do something about it. I’d like to sit down and have a talk with Cory to see if we can work together...

“He’s got his people that follow him... and I’ve got a lot of people that follow me and I think, divided, we’re not going to get anywhere. But if we unite with people who are like-minded to push ahead with this, we can make big changes in Australia.”

She says she had hoped that Clive Palmer or Bob Katter might have been able to galvanise conservative voters unhappy with the Liberal Party’s move to the left, but both had fallen short.

“I have always said if anyone can come along and do a better job than I can please do it because it’s more important to me to see this country move ahead in such a positive way and for the people. It’s not all about ego — that’s not me. This is why I’ve stuck with [politics] because I haven’t seen anyone else... out there that I feel is fighting for me.

“And if Cory Bernardi was the person to do it... I’d love to work with him... We’ve got to head in the right direction if we are to be a force to reckon with in Australia and we need to do something.”

Bernardi previously has promised his followers a “massive 2017”and said that he hopes 2017 “heralds a new way of doing things for the Turnbull government and for politics in general”.

A combined Hanson-Bernardi movement would be the perfect storm for the Coalition, giving disaffected conservatives a home away from home.

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 05:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Nordish Preservationist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    The Libs are NOT conservatives,except to the leftist cultural Marxists in the mainstream media.
    Our beauty is our power, our strength. We can’t allow them to change us, to lessen us. I will never grant them that satisfaction, and neither should you!

White Oleander

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European Australian
    Ancestry
    Macedonia, Bulgaria
    Subrace
    Norid+CM
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Married parent
    Politics
    Ethnocracy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cory Bernardi resigns from the Liberal Party

SENATOR Cory Bernardi has confirmed he resigned from the Liberal Party this morning.
    Mr Bernardi said that after holding membership of the party spanning his adult life, it had been a “very difficult decision” for him.
    “Perhaps the most difficult one of my political life,” he said.
    In a speech to the Senate on the first sitting day of the year, Mr Bernardi said he was both reluctant and relieved.
    “Reluctant because this decision has weighed heavy on my heart, but relieved because while it is difficult, I believe it is the right thing to do.”
    “As the sea through which we sail become ever more challenging, the respect for the values and principles that have served us well seem to have been set aside for expedient, self-serving, short-term ends. That approach has not served our nation well.”
    Mr Bernardi said the body public was failing the people of Australia.
    “The level of public disenchantment with the major parties, the lack of confidence in our political process and the concern about the direction of our nation is very, very strong.
    “This is a direct product of us, the political class, being out of touch with the hopes and aspirations of the Australian people.”
    Mr Bernardi said he would begin a new political movement.
    “It really is time for a better way. For a conservative way," he said.
    “So today I begin something new, built on enduring values and principles that have served our nation so well for so long.
    “It is a political movement of Australian Conservatives. A community of individual Australians who will share their unique gifts and talents to chart a better way for our nation.”

He said the movement would be united by the desire to create stronger families, to foster freedom of speech, to limit the size and scope and reach of government while seeking to rebuild confidence in civil society.
    “We will give hope to those who despair at the current state of Australian politics and who demand a better way for themselves, for their children and for the nation,” he said.
    “The journey ahead will not be for the faint of heart, but worth while ventures rarely are and every journey begins with a first step.”
    In response, Liberal Senator George Brandis said Mr Bernardi’s resignation was not a very conservative thing to do and the Liberal Party was disappointed.
    “Only seven months ago Senator Bernardi was elected by the people of South Australia to serve in the Senate as a Liberal senator,” Mr Brandis said.
    “There was no need for him to take this course because, as the former prime minister, Mr Howard, famously said, the Liberal Party is a broad church. It can accommodate people like Senator Bernardi and it can accommodate people of more moderate views.”
    He said breaking a promise to electors was a poor way to begin.
    “What Senator Bernardi has done today is not a conservative thing to do because breaking faith with the electorate, breaking faith with the people who voted for you, breaking faith with the people who have supported you through thick and thin for years and, indeed, decades is not a conservative thing to do,” he said.
    “Nevertheless, as I said, Mr President, we will continue to treat Senator Bernardi courteously, professionally as a colleague.”
    Asked about criticism over the timing of his resignation, after he was re-elected to the Senate again last year, Mr Bernardi said: “I have reflected Liberal values since I joined the Liberal Party over 30 years ago.”
    In a press conference after his Senate speech, he said he hoped that the last election would deliver a positive outcome for the people of Australia.
    “But what we saw was a million votes left the conserve party and went to alternatives,” he said.
    “Some of them represent the interests and national interests better than others.
    “My ambition was always to bring those people back into the tent. I regret over the last seven months or so we see more of them leaving the tent. That says to me there is a serious problem.”

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/...51c85f9d09a321

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European Australian
    Ancestry
    Macedonia, Bulgaria
    Subrace
    Norid+CM
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b