Thread: Richard III, the Last Plantagenet King of England, Face Reconstructed with Blue Eyes and Blond Hair

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    United Kingdom, Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Germany, France
    mtDNA
    H1c12
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Aries
    Politics
    Pro-Trump, Nationalist
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts

Richard III, the Last Plantagenet King of England, Face Reconstructed with Blue Eyes and Blond Hair

Head of Richard III reconstructed in four-hour operation based on DNA test results

Head of king taken off display as facial reconstructor reflects likely DNA evidence

A photo of the reconstructed head of a king with blue eyes and blond hair
    The new-look Richard III© King Richard III Visitor Centre

A facial reconstruction expert has spent four hours reworking the head of King Richard III, which was removed from display at the new visitor centre dedicated to him in Leicester after DNA testing at the city’s university suggested he would have had blond hair and blue eyes.

Professor Caroline Wilkinson, of Liverpool John Moores University, completed the new depiction under the watch of staff at the venue, guided by test results produced by Dr Turi King more than a year ago.

"It was a delicate task to remove the eyes and replace with lighter ones, as they are made of glass,” said Professor Wilkinson.

“The hair colour has also been updated, including eyebrows and eyelashes."

Head of Richard III reconstructed in four-hour operation based on DNA test results

Head of king taken off display as facial reconstructor reflects likely DNA evidence.

A facial reconstruction expert has spent four hours reworking the head of King Richard III, which was removed from display at the new visitor centre dedicated to him in Leicester after DNA testing at the city’s university suggested he would have had blond hair and blue eyes.

Professor Caroline Wilkinson, of Liverpool John Moores University, completed the new depiction under the watch of staff at the venue, guided by test results produced by Dr Turi King more than a year ago.

"It was a delicate task to remove the eyes and replace with lighter ones, as they are made of glass,” said Professor Wilkinson.

“The hair colour has also been updated, including eyebrows and eyelashes."

Iain Gordon, the Director of the visitor centre, said the experience had been “fascinating” ahead of the reinterment of the king’s body at Leicester Cathedral later this month.

“We are really pleased that we've been able to complete the work and put the head back on display in time for the reinterment," he added.
    http://www.culture24.org.uk/history-...a-test-results

This article is from last year but I thought it was worth posting a thread about it because he was the King of England, the last Plantagenet King. The DNA testing shows he was likely blond and blue-eyed. The original depiction of him years earlier, before DNA testing, was dark haired and dark eyed.

http://www.livescience.com/images/i/...t=inside|660:*

http://www.livescience.com/26959-ric...ndly-face.html

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

What Richard III would have sounded like.

I've attached an audio file containing a discussion of how Richard III would have sounded along with the relevant text quotes. So those who are interested can download the audio file and then follow along with the text below.

Sir J Say, I pray you that you fail me not now at this time in my great need, as you will that I show you my good lordship in that matter that you labour to me for.
    We would most gladly ye came yourself if that ye may, and if ye may not, we pray you not to fail, but to accomplish in all diligence our said commandment, to send our Seal incontinent upon the sight hereof, as we trust you, with such as ye trust and the Officers pertaining to attend with it; praying you to ascertain us of your News. Here, loved be God, is all well and truly determined, and for to resist the Malice of him that had best Cause to be true, the Duke of Buckingham, the most untrue creature living; whom with God’s Grace we shall not be long till that we will be in those parts, and subdue his Malice. We assure you there was never false traitor better purveyed for, as this bearer Gloucester shall show you.

Postscript from a letter to his Chancellor, 12 October, 1483.
    Sources.
    https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Richard_III_of_England
    https://soundcloud.com/university-of...chard-iii-have
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.