Poll: Should we have separate ladies & gents sections?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Separate Ladies & Gentlemen Sections

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Family
    Married parent
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Question Separate Ladies & Gentlemen Sections

Been wondering about ladies & gents sections. Not really the ones we already have, but adding some separate sub-sections segregated according to gender - one for the ladies, one for the gents.

Bout once a month, I throw my hubby out, send him to have a beer or do whatever he does with his guys, & have a girls night. Knitting & crocheting, discussing our husbands, bakin' pies, sharing recipes, braggin' about our kids & all that female stuff.

Also bout once a month, hubby brings his gents home and they lock themselves in his office where they smoke cigars, drink scotch, discuss world domination & all that male stuff. I get sent to the kitchen and there's a lot of sandwiches to make. The rest of the nights, well, ya can imagine.

So, why not have some virtual parlors/kitchens where ladies & gents can discuss that stuff away from the prying eyes of the opposite sex? Gents have no idea how it is to be pregnant, be a housewife, apply makeup, they don't read Cosmo etc. while ladies have no idea how to it is to be the breadwinner, toil the land, fix the car & all that stuff.

Oh, oops, forgot, wrong century. But anyways, you know what I mean. Sometimes we women just wanna gossip about men without men getting all worked up and defensive, while men wanna gossip about women without some chick throwing a PMS tantrum. In addition, seems some folks here think the other gender ain't qualified to discuss this & that topic. Separate ladies & gents sections would solve that kind of issues and give us all an opportunity to try something new.

Whatcha think?

P.S. I'm talking about really private sections, where only men & only women can read/post. Sections could be join-only so folks could opt in - or out, if it ain't their cup of tea. There would be no exception, i.e. no female staff prying into the male section or male staff into the female section.

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 04:06 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian American
    Ancestry
    Norwegian, German
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Minnesota Minnesota
    Family
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Pan-Germanic
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Could be an interesting idea but I'm not sure if it wouldn't lead to more tension, instead of mending things. Some people of the opposite gender would want to know what is being discussed in those sections anyway, maybe change their gender to be allowed in.

Besides, I think both gender's perspective is valuable and we need a dialogue and exchange of opinions...

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I wouldn't necessarily oppose the idea either, but knowing some of the reactions of certain factions on these fora, this could indeed turn into an apple of discord. For instance, I remember when the Althing had the Round Table section, a private, join-only section where new members had to be voted in by the base membership, and there were some dramas surrounding the section, many people wanting to be part of that circle. The irony is that aside from a few threads, the section rarely registered high activity. It was probably its privacy/secrecy that was alluring, and the fact that everyone wanted to be part of some "exclusive" circle..
    "Tradition doesn't mean holding on to the ashes, it means passing the torch."
    - Thomas Morus (1478-1535)

Mein Glaube ist die Liebe zu meinem Volk. Juthunge's Avatar
    Last Online
    2 Hours Ago @ 04:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordid-CM
    Religion of the Blood
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    256 Posts
    At the current level of activity, I don't really see the point in this. That would probably only lead either to even less activity in the general forum or to basically no activity in the gender-related fora.
    Nor do I personally see a need for such subfora. But I don't necessarily oppose it if others are interested.

On the other hand, I don't know if it would even be technically possible to prevent staff of the other gender from looking into these fora.
    And the day they sold us out, Our hearts grew cold
    'Cause we were never asked, No brother, we were told!
    What do they know of Europe, Who only Europe know?

Ancient DNA: List of All Studies analyzing DNA of Ancient Tribes and Ethnicities(post-2010)

Last Online
    17 Hours Ago @ 02:11 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    North Western Europe
    Country
    South Africa South Africa
    State
    Transvaal Transvaal
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    I also see value in this once there is more activity on the forum. Perhaps one set a benchmark in terms of Posts per day?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I wouldn't oppose the idea in principle but don't think there's a current need, also not enough activity to warrant it IMO.

I assume it could be technically possible to exclude male/female staff members, if additional groups were created, like only the regulars group can view the Althing or only funding members the Asgard Club. So the viewers of the male forum would need to be members of a male group and members of the female forum of a female group. Unless viewing permissions could be restricted from person to person.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    208 Posts
    I've to agree with the perspectives so far. The activity levels are too low so new sections and segregating the membership further isn't the best idea at the moment.

As Schmetterling reminded, we've had this experience with the Althing, there was too little activity in the join-only section but some peoples were dramatic about joining and finding out the "secret" discussions from there. Aside from a pictures topic and some polls about who to accept in the subsection, there wasn't much new content there. There were a few gossip themes about other members from the public boards, which were a little bit silly.

First we've to work on the activity levels and start discussion themes. Women can also discuss these topics now in the open subforums and so can men.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    610 Posts
    I know our activity level is down, but I certainly see a need for such a thing. Often men and women on here discuss relationship type things and other issues were men and women differ. This could even be used as "help" forum to say where older more seasoned members could offer advice to younger less experienced members.

Now besides all that there is the jokes to be told, there are some jokes that men like to tell that should not be discussed where women should even read them.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 08:14 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    First of all: I can't vote on your poll. Your options are almost as suggestive as the question the Tyrolean government is asking the commonfolk in the referendum for the 2026 Olympics.

I don't think there's a call for it, and I don't see much good come from it, and interestingly enough for all the same reasons you think it's a good idea. I think this is bound to create more division than cohesion.

Also, call me old-fashioned but I think if there's a topic that you can't discuss with all of your friends present but instead would get that one friend, or assortment of closeknit friends, or partner to talk about it, it's not something you should be needing to discuss on a public forum with all strangers anyway, whether in a segregated section or not. If you want to use the forum for that, you can always PM someone you know can be of advice.

Finally, I can't think of a topic I should discuss as a man where I'd be alarmed if a woman read it. I also can't think of a topic that women could discuss where a respectful man mightn't be able to either learn useful information for his own relationship or otherwise ignore and shut up about. A man who faint, panicks or runs around screaming if women talk about period pains (though this is a topic for the abovementioned paragraph, actually) on one hand, or actually has something useful to offer on the last Cosmo article on make-up techniques is probably revealing more about his lack of manliness than offering prying eyes.

I think it all boils down to respecting each other a little more and growing a thicker skin. We neither do good supporting the feminist idea of 'men have no business having an opinion about this', nor do we do any good supporting the completely misogynistic idea that women are ill qualified to discuss certain topics - quite frankly because even in times where men were the public figure of the household and women were the housekeeper, most things on a man's mind would have been discussed at night-time, too. Many wars have been started over pillow talk.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Like nobody else
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Swedish and Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    NS
    Religion
    NS
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    The whole thing with separating men and women is a huge topic in Sweden atm actually. According to sharia laws women and men shouldn't spend time together and feminists yell about men raping women, so nowadays Swedes are arranging female-only festivals, boys and girls should no longer have gymanstics together in school and bathhouses have specific days when only women are allowed.

I know you didn't mean it that way at all, Gefjon, but separating men and women even on a forum like this makes me cringe a bit because of all the shit going on in my home country. I understand where you're coming from though and there might be other women who like your idea. Personally I don't like it that much, and gossiping about or discussing men, especially my own, isn't really something I'd take part in anyway. And I have no idea what Cosmo is.

I think it's a great thing that men have the possibility to read "women's threads" and to even give their opinion if they feel like it, and vice versa. We can learn a lot from each other, to complement each other, so I don't see a reason to lock the other gender out so we can discuss them behind their back.
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule,
    where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast