Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts

Being Gray

This thread is not so much about Sh*t Hitting The Fan (SHTF). However it is a good idea to blend in even if you are in your own area. This is just a basic defensive tactic and can be used for both men and women. The key is to not become a target. If you are Nationalist or Political activist or just the average Joe or Jane wanting to get through life without having problems. Obliviously if you are in area that is not known to you then it is best to try and blend it as much as possible. Of course if you are in some racial other third world hell hole then very much may be a problem, but not impossible.

Here in this video which pertains to prepping or SHTF are some good tips at becoming "Gray". You can use them everyday, even if it something simple like not wanting to be bothered in public.

The 3 Rules to Become a Gray Man

There many examples and tools to blend in. He does not cover several key things in the video, like hair styles or facial hairs. Clothing put into the right context an example is if you are in a city don't go around wearing bib overalls or camo hunting gear. I will say earth tone clothing that is neither cheap or expensive is a big help no matter where you are at.

There are many ideas and thoughts on this type of defense and it can actually even be used as offense tool as well. Please give any tips or things you use to blend it.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

"Du bist das Bild, das ich in mir barg..."
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 11th, 2017 @ 11:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Folkish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Ha, this has been my personal philosophy for years when out in public or in any gathering of business people, acquaintances or friends. I had no idea that it had become a popular meme, though on consideration it does make a lot of sense, given what has been going on in the world, that a great many people would discover some version of it for themselves.

As for myself, my interest in being gray likely stems from my childhood fascination with deep cover espionage. There is a wonderful American TV series called The Americans that deals with this theme in detail, and which has inspired me to do a better job (of being gray, not of espionage ), especially when I'm overtired or rushing around.

Anyway, as mentioned a couple weeks ago in the clothing thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Siegmund View Post
    I tend to favor simple clothes that allow me to blend in, whatever the group or occasion. .. No matter what I wear, I like feeling fluid and unrestricted, able to act quickly or suddenly as the need arises.
    The whole idea is to be inconspicuous myself, while at the same time taking in every little detail around me without appearing to be doing so. It is extraordinary how many people are so caught up in themselves while walking around or, really, doing almost anything, that they fail to notice the people or events occurring practically within their own personal space, not to mention down the block.

It is equally interesting to be on the lookout for others who are attempting to be inconspicuous. After a while, they are the ones who become the most conspicuous to me, as I try to decipher clues regarding their motives and intentions, all the while redoubling my own efforts to appear inconspicuous to them.

When I'm in the coffee shop writing or listening to music and just seeming to daydream, it has often been instructive to pay attention to who sits with their back to the wall, or in a corner, or facing the door, or near the back exit if there is one. Since such placement along with inconspicuous clothing and an inconspicuous manner often shouts out to me "gray", I usually take pains to sit somewhere on the side, not so obviously with my eye on possible escape routes. I admit I take a certain pleasure from the fact that while I can see them, they can't see me.

Oh wait. It now occurs to me that there are undoubtedly those who are far better at this craft than I. In that same coffee shop, there may well be one or more people who see me very clearly indeed, while at the same time they remain invisible to me...

As for tips or tricks not covered in the video - which, in my view, could have been about 6 of its 8 minutes shorter and still covered the same ground - hats, and wearing clothes that are not "right" for the season, are two potential traps that stand out in my own experience.

Where I live, men of almost any age almost always wear some sort of cap when they are out of doors (and often indoors as well). So, therefore, do I, regardless of any personal feelings I might have about it.

Wearing clothes that are not right for the season can be a little more challenging for me, as I tend to have a high tolerance for cold, a low tolerance for heat, and an extremely low tolerance for feeling physically restricted in any way. Thus, if it were completely up to me, I'd probably wear a relatively light jacket for most of the winter and break out the shorts sometime in February. But that's not smart if you want to go unnoticed. So it's the heavy down coat for me when everyone else is wearing one, and simple jeans or slacks for me as well, at least until a good number of the guys around me are finally wearing shorts.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts
    I have been putting some of this to a test of sorts.

I have cut off my handlebar moustache and now wear a more sensible close cropped chin beard and moustache. More of what is style with men my age. loosing my moustache was huge for me, but I was also tired of grooming it.

Also I have changed my dress, I am starting to wear plain colored T-shirts and Sweatshirts with blue jeans when out in public. Always before I wore cotton or flannel button up shirts with kaki or canvas hunting pants. To add to this I also bought a windbreaker type of jacket that is popular around here. For a heavy coat I still keep my canvas heavy work coat, they blend here as well, but not so much if I travel.

I don't wear a ball cap like most men around here and I have never felt comfortable wearing one. I did wear broad brimmed felt hunting hats and that really made me stand out when in public in the local area. So I have just been going out without a hat when I have to go shopping or things like that. I don't think I will ever get used to not wearing a hat when outside, it is a habit I started when in the military and I don't think I can drop it.

Also how you act is important. Try and not look around by moving your head, instead just use your eyes and if you do move your head do it slowly. People notice motion and especially direct motion. When picking a seat or something don't be so direct. Often I have used this trick while stalk hunting game, I don't move directly or quickly and it works.

Recently I have tried many things and some seem to be working, on several occasions I was sitting in a restaurant so some time before I was even noticed by the waitress. I also try and not stare too long a any particular person, just a quick glance.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, July 12th, 2019 @ 03:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    English/German combo
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Sagittarius
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Personally, I like the color or shade of grey. It is neutral and it goes with anything: From light-grey gainsboro to dark-grey charcoal or anthracite, it comes close to be being the perfect shade for all occasions. And very soft on the eyes, too! I have grey eyes, so perhaps I am biased. Actually, the only bright color of any worth in my opinion is red.

But if grey is the metaphorical color or shade of inconspicuousness and obscurity, no better accolade could be given to this very useful shade of color mixed from black and white.

Many people, myself among them, are mistrustful of persons who are colorful and larger-than-life, attention-seeking bores!

So, yes! I'd like to be grey, and the greyer the better!
    Between the devil and the deep blue sea.