Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Canada's Immigration Hit New Heights

Canada's immigration hit new heights

OTTAWA — The population of Canada grew more in the past three months than it has in any third quarter since 1990, according to Statistics Canada.

The population hit 33,441,300, up 129,900 since July.

Every province and territory saw rising numbers, except the Northwest Territories, which saw a decline of 132 residents.

Most of the growth was recorded in Western Canada, with Alberta continuing to report the highest numbers. New Canadians and people who moved to Alberta from other provinces numbered 25,640 in the third quarter of 2008, likely due to the continuing job opportunities offered in that province, Statistics Canada said.

"Usually, people go where there are jobs, so that explains the strong tendency toward Alberta," said Hubert Denis, senior analyst for Statistics Canada.

The agency said growth across the country was due mostly to immigration. Between July 1 and Oct. 1, 2008, 71,300 people entered Canada. Numbers have increased everywhere since provinces began stepping up their efforts to attract people internationally.

"Provinces are being more aggressive and it really shows in the numbers," said Denis.

Prince Edward Island, for instance, has registered a drastic increase since it began participating in the Provincial Nominee Program, which makes it easier for people from other nations to come to Canada. In the third quarter alone, P.E.I. set records in immigration, welcoming 611 people. Its previous high was 420.

"For a small province like P.E.I., this represents a very big increase," said Denis.

All across Canada, similar programs have boosted immigration numbers significantly.

Manitoba, the first province to introduce the program, saw spikes in immigration almost immediately.

In 2001, the province attracted an average of 1,148 new Canadians every quarter; in 2005 it was 2,024 and the last quarter saw 2,588 people moving in from abroad.

In 1998, when it introduced the program, Manitoba was looking at shortages of skilled labour in every sector, said Ben Rempel, the assistant deputy minister for Manitoba Labour and Immigration.

"Without this program, the industry we have wouldn't have been able to grow as it has . . . we would have been looking at economic stagnation," said Rempel.

"The key to attracting immigrants to Canada is understanding how they can contribute to the various distinct regional labour markets across the country."

He attributes Manitoba's 80 per cent retention rate to its strong and diverse economy, affordable living and family-friendly communities.

Rempel added that it's important for new Canadians to know what they're coming to, and to have support once they get here. "We work early on in the arrival period to give them the tools they need to be successful in the labour market."

Statistics Canada has noticed that these programs are having a major affect of immigration patterns — newcomers are starting to be lured away from what Rempel calls "MTV" — Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

"Immigrants used to head mainly to Quebec, Ontario and British Columbia, and they're still going there, but they're also spreading out across the country in unprecedented numbers," said Denis.

Total population (increase in third quarter):

Canada 33,441,277 (129,888)

Newfoundland and Labrador 508,944 (1,049)

Prince Edward Island 140,750 (932)

Nova Scotia 939,125 (815)

New Brunswick 747,790 (488)

Quebec 7,771,854 (21,350)

Ontario 12,977059 (48,063)

Manitoba 1,210547 (2,588)

Saskatchewan 1,020,847 (4,862)

Alberta 3,610,782 (25,640)

British Columbia 4,405,534 (23,931)

Yukon 33,372 (228)

Northwest Territories 43,151 (-132)

Nunavut 31,522 (44)

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/ca...633/story.html

Die Sonne scheint noch.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts

Enough of Multiculturalism—Bring On the Melting Pot

Issues don’t get much hotter than immigration. It’s where political correctness abounds, where allegations of intolerance and racism are but a breath away, where ministers had best show finesse with their pronouncements.

Not so Jason Kenney. Our man at the immigration turnstiles has been in a bull-in-a-china shop mode lately. He’s told newcomers they have to speak our official languages better, he’s barred British MP George Galloway from admittance, he’s accused refugees of systematic abuse of the system, he’s called for more integration of immigrants, and he’s gone to war with the Canadian Arab Federation, a group that accuses him of being a shill for the Jewish community.

It’s serious stuff. The purport is that immigrants must do more to conform to Canadian standards. The minister wants to tighten the definition of what it means to be Canadian. The pitch—when in Rome, do as the Romans do—is for less multiculturalism and more melting pot. “We want to avoid the kind of ethnic conclaves or parallel communities that exist in some European communities,” says Mr. Kenney. New Canadians have “a duty to integrate. . . . We don’t need the state to promote diversity.”

Monte Solberg, the previous Conservative immigration minister, favours the move to the melting pot, saying the Liberal concept of the multicultural mosaic is dated. Immigrant communities are more self-assured now. Ottawa, Mr. Solberg says, shouldn’t be in the business of preserving their cultures.

If the Conservatives press forward with this approach, it will be a big step for a government often criticized for having no vision. Multiculturalism has become one of our hallmarks. We have developed a reputation for tolerance. The Conservatives are saying that there’s too much tolerance, that there needs to be limits. Mr. Kenney, for example, has ended the heritage language program wherein Ottawa helped pay for children to learn their parents’ language.

The government, favouring a more selective immigration process, brought in legislation last year that allowed it to fast-track the types of immigrants it wants and freeze out those it doesn’t. Critics said it gave too much prerogative to the immigration minister. Many Liberals were pushing for increased immigration, saying an aging population and declining birth rate will reduce the population and, in turn, hinder economic growth.

In his book Unlikely Utopia, Michael Adams contests the need for melting-pot initiatives, saying it’s the absence of a strong Canadian identity that helps make this country free of prejudice and a place where immigrants can feel comfortable. Communities with a stronger, more confined sense of themselves are less tolerant. In parts of Quebec and Europe, multiculturalism is seen as a threat. In Canada, Mr. Adams notes, it’s a source of pride.

Mr. Kenney, one of the Harper government’s most talented performers, earned goodwill among many ethnic communities when he served as secretary of state for multiculturalism. He was a workhorse, going to every ethnic event imaginable, earning the moniker Curry in a Hurry. The empathy he offered had a strategic purpose: The goal was to end the Liberals’ domination of the immigrant vote, and results in the last election showed he made some headway.

But his more aggressive approach, an attempt by the government to reinvent multiculturalism, may be putting the gains at risk. The barring of Mr. Galloway brought on widespread condemnation. The move to ramp up language requirements for entrants has led to allegations of intolerance. The heavy tilt to the Jewish community has alienated Muslims. In the House of Commons, however, the Liberals have been lax in going after Mr. Kenney, hardly mentioning, for example, the Galloway controversy.

In that he is viewed as a potential leadership contestant, Mr. Kenney’s pugnacity on the immigrant file might be a bid to burnish his right-side credentials. But there is likely more to it than that. The Conservatives appear set on charting a new course on immigration.

While melting-pot measures may alienate pockets of the population, they speak to their core beliefs. They also speak well to many Canadians who feel that indulgence toward immigrants has been carried too far.
    http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives...h_of_multi.php

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Norman & German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    I don't think we need more integration of immigrants. They shouldn't be here in the first place.

Last Online
    Monday, May 2nd, 2011 @ 03:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Franco-Norman/Anglo Canadian
    Ancestry
    Normandy; North-West England
    Subrace
    Borreby-DaloFaelid/AngloSaxon
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Married, happily
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pride View Post
    I don't think we need more integration of immigrants. They shouldn't be here in the first place.

Though I wholehartedly agree with your sentiment Norman Pride, I think that the article does well in pointing out the shift in attitude that our country is undergoing with respect to immigration policy. Labels of 'multicultural mosaic' and 'melting pot' aside, I think this article highlights that there has been a shift in federal thinking in terms of no longer pandering to the needs of the New Canadian but to the needs of Canada herself. For a newcomer to at least be able to confidently speak English (and French preferably, my own bias of course ) should be one of the very minimal standards for living here. As for all of these publicly-subsidized 'language schools' which abound in my neck of the woods anyway, why should the taxpayers foot this bill? To axe these is a step in the right direction imho.

It's a good article and shows the quandary in which Canada finds herself at present. We have to undo a certain amount of thinking which gives preference to minority New Canadians, thanks to our world-famous Multiculturalism Policy, and have to rejig it to suit Canada's needs as a whole--and I'm hoping in that too, to give a well-deserved nod to the founding cultures of this country over and above the more recent cultures found here.

In the end, I think that the melting pot concept is probably the lesser of two evils. And believe me I never in a million years thought I would ever say such a thing, having been one who has grown up during the Trudeau era. But New Canadians need to conform to our needs as a country and as Canadians and not the other way around.

Frith...Aemma

PS: Excellent article Todesengel

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 04:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
    But New Canadians need to conform to our needs as a country and as Canadians and not the other way around.
    "New Canadians"? I would never ever refer to immigrants as "new Swedes". They are not Swedes, have no right to be here and to destroy my country and my race, and they have no right to live off of us here. We are even financing our own extinction since most of them live off of welfare and contribute almost nothing.

I will never ever call those people who help extinguish my people "Swedes". They are INVADERS and not one of us. Relatively peaceful ones, but invaders just the same. They have been allowed in here by my government but NOT by the Swedes themselves who were never asked in any referendum whether or not it is OK to slowly ethnically cleanse my country.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Married, happily
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Freja_se View Post
    "New Canadians"? I would never ever refer to immigrants as "new Swedes". They are not Swedes, have no right to be here and to destroy my country and my race, and they have no right to live off of us here. We are even financing our own extinction since most of them live off of welfare and contribute almost nothing.

I will never ever call those people who help extinguish my people "Swedes". They are INVADERS and not one of us. Relatively peaceful ones, but invaders just the same. They have been allowed in here by my government but NOT by the Swedes themselves who were never asked in any referendum whether or not it is OK to slowly ethnically cleanse my country.
    Oh relax. This is what we call them here. Ease up will you.

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 04:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
    Oh relax. This is what we call them here. Ease up will you.
    "We"? Speak for yourself. I'm sure you don't speak for most people, especially not here.
    Last edited by Hauke Haien; Wednesday, April 22nd, 2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: ad hominem

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago @ 08:36 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    "We"? Speak for yourself. I'm sure you don't speak for most people, especially not here.
    Canadians call their recent immigrants "New Canadians", regardless of what their political affiliations. In fact, from what I gather, the term is also increasingly often used tongue-in-cheek, much like a German would sarcastically refer to a foreigner as "one with migrational background".

For colony countries such as Canada, the United States, Australia or New Zealand, who became "ours" by colonalisation, immigration and conquest you can also not specify people as "immigrants" as everyone has an "immigrant background" as it were.

Instead, you can only specify which type of immigrants you would accept, and of which ethnic background they may be. Bear in mind that the ethnic make-up of most in the colonies is generally "Celto-Germanic" and that thus somewhat different standards than in 100% monoethnic nations as we have them here in Europe have to be applied.

I've always said that there is a reason why "White Nationalism" and "Pan-Europeanism" would never work in Europe. But vice-versa, strict ethnic nationalism by let's say German-Americans, Swedish-Americans, you name it, wouldn't work either for America or Canada.

Different part of the world, different solution and approach to the same problem needed.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Married, happily
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    For the record I was firstly addressing a compatriot in that first post of mine and nobody else. Secondly, re-read my most recent post which indeed WAS addressed to you: "we" means Canadians, not you a Swede nor anyone else from any other country that is represented on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Canadians call their recent immigrants "New Canadians", regardless of what their political affiliations. In fact, from what I gather, the term is also increasingly often used tongue-in-cheek, much like a German would sarcastically refer to a foreigner as "one with migrational background".

For colony countries such as Canada, the United States, Australia or New Zealand, who became "ours" by colonalisation, immigration and conquest you can also not specify people as "immigrants" as everyone has an "immigrant background" as it were.

Instead, you can only specify which type of immigrants you would accept, and of which ethnic background they may be. Bear in mind that the ethnic make-up of most in the colonies is generally "Celto-Germanic" and that thus somewhat different standards than in 100% monoethnic nations as we have them here in Europe have to be applied.

I've always said that there is a reason why "White Nationalism" and "Pan-Europeanism" would never work in Europe. But vice-versa, strict ethnic nationalism by let's say German-Americans, Swedish-Americans, you name it, wouldn't work either for America or Canada.

Different part of the world, different solution and approach to the same problem needed.
    Thank you Sigurd, you've hit the nail right on the head and have expressed the facts bang on when it comes to understanding the colonial countries. I'd even consider you an honorary Canuck based on this post, Siggy.

Cheers and frith!...Aemma
    Last edited by Hauke Haien; Wednesday, April 22nd, 2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: ad hominem, merged

Schimmelreiter
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, September 4th, 2017 @ 09:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    For colony countries such as Canada, the United States, Australia or New Zealand,
    Germany, the Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland, England,

who became "ours" by colonalisation, immigration and conquest you can also not specify people as "immigrants" as everyone has an "immigrant background" as it were.
    We can and we should do so. An ethnicity cannot stabilise by maintaining an inclusive attitude toward significant, continuous outside input.

Conquered territories profit from a proper ethnogenesis, even if they are outside of Europe, and this is different from a self-colonising melting pot or the other option, going for broke and resorting to a shallow racial definition.

I am also curious how anyone would consider himself Germanic without an ethnic identity that is Germanic. Is this why the word "white" is so excessively popular in the section titled Germanic Lands: Around the World?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast