Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Feminism, gender-roles and the relation of physical appearance to the above

Last Online
    Monday, April 4th, 2016 @ 11:13 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post AW: Re: AW: Re: Skadi Beauty Contest Part One

You're one of the youngest females on board. Everything else would have to be established first.
    And all my youth passed by sad-hearted,
    the joy of Spring was never mine;
    Autumn blows through me dread of parting,
    and my heart dreams and longs to die.

- Nikolaus Lenau (1802-1850)

Real misanthropes are not found in solitude, but in the world; since it is experience of life, and not philosophy, which produces real hatred of mankind.

- Giacomo Leopardi (1798-1837)

Last Online
    Thursday, June 7th, 2012 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    bavaria
    Subrace
    Does bavarian count?
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Colorado Colorado
    Family
    Widowed
    Occupation
    Anti-Semite
    Politics
    Phineas priest
    Religion
    American Isrealism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: AW: Re: Skadi Beauty Contest Part One

Quote Originally Posted by Abby Normal
    So, isn't anyone going to respond to my oddball ideas on gender?

If I sent in my pictures, y'all probably wouldn't say I am the most 'beautiful' female on this forum (though I would disagree). It is indisputable, however, that I am the smartest female on this forum!
    I think you are quite nice looking.
    Some days you just want to holler your head off!!!

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 25th, 2006 @ 01:22 AM
    Subrace
    The Other Seedline
    Politics
    No-bless O'Bleeg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kinvolk
    I think you are quite nice looking.
    KINVOLK: If you took the time to read my previous posts, you'd know that this is NOT the kind of comment I wish to receive. 'Uppity-assed' is right! You completely ignored my statement on how physical appearance should NOT be the sole determinant of worth for women, and proceeded to tell me I am 'QUITE NICE-LOOKING'! This calls for WAR!

Oh and you have only seen a blurry, old picture that some stereotypical American 'WASP' male would find 'attractive'. If you saw me today; if you saw how I truly look (in my natural state), I doubt you would say such a thing. Very few American males would; as you have all been conditioned by ’our’ media to prefer the same mass-produced ‘look’! Thus, it no longer matters to me how many idiot American males (and females, by the same token) find me 'attractive'. I like the way I look now, and the kind of people I want to be around will think the same!

Back to my point: I bet you didn't even realize that your retarded one-liner is ENTIRELY contradictory to the nature of my other posts. In fact, I would assume that you were trying to utilize irony in an American bastard-like way; but judging from the content of your posts on the subject of America, you likely are not capable of such wit. Actually, even if you actually read my posts, it would be an overestimation to assume that you truly understood them. Let continue this flame-war continue, anyway!

Last edited by Abby Normal; Wednesday, July 21st, 2004 at 05:45 AM.

Last Online
    Monday, June 6th, 2005 @ 02:03 AM
    Subrace
    Corded Pontid/Cro-Magnid
    Country
    Other Other
    Occupation
    Evil water sprite
    Politics
    laissez-faire
    Religion
    Impious free thinker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shut the hell up! If you read my previous posts, you'd know that this is NOT the kind of comment I wish to recieve. 'Uppity-assed' is right! You completely ignored my statement on how physical appearance should NOT be the sole determinant of worth for women, and proceeded to tell me I am 'quite nice-looking'. This calls for WAR!

Oh and you have only seen a blurry, old picture that some stereotypical American 'WASP' male would find 'attractive'. If you saw me today; if you saw how I truly look (in my natural state), I doubt you would say such a thing. Very few American males would; as you have all been conditioned by mass-culture to prefer the same freakin' look! Thus, it no longer matters to me how many idiot American males (and females, by the same token) find me 'attractive'. I like the way I look now, and the kind of people I want to be around will think the same.
    Easy, girl. What the hell are you on?

Okay, you don't look nice. I bet you're a pimpled wannabe goth teenager and definitely out of the "nice" category. Are you happy now?

Last Online
    Subrace
    The Other Seedline
    Politics
    No-bless O'Bleeg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rusalka
    Easy, girl. What the hell are you on?
    Caffeine!

Okay, you don't look nice.
    This kind of idiocy also perpetuates the 'double standards' I described earlier. When someone wants to truly insult a man, they go after his intelligence, his social status (or, even worse, the appearance of the woman in his life), but when someone wants to insult a woman, they go after her appearance. This mindset needs to end!

I bet you're a pimpled wannabe goth teenager and definitely out of the "nice" category. Are you happy now?
    Pimpled, no. Wannabe goth, yes. Not nice, yes!

I might have come off as a bit harsh, but my point was that my original post was about how in our society, 'looks' are way too important to most women, and that our worth should be determined by more than physical appearance alone. Then, I posted again to make a sarcastic comment daring people to respond to my statement, and Kinvolk came along to say that I am quite nice-looking! If you read my post on page 9, you'll see why this seemed like a major slap in the face.
    Last edited by Abby Normal; Wednesday, July 21st, 2004 at 05:42 AM.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Caffeine!

This kind of idiocy also perpetuates the 'double standards' I described earlier. When someone wants to truly insult a man, they go after his intelligence, his social status (or, even worse, the appearance of the woman in his life), but when someone wants to insult a woman, they go after her appearance. This mindset needs to end!
    What's wrong with having "This" kind of Mindset? A woman needs to look good to impress men... that is after all how a woman gains social status. And women know how to use their sex appeal(womanly wiles) to their advantadge.
    I don't think this kind of Mindset will ever change it's just the way Mother Nature intended things to be.

Anyways why don't we start another Beauty Contest?
    We have afterall no shortage of eager contestants.

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 30th, 2016 @ 06:56 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Ancestry
    England, France, Germany, Ireland, Scottish, Switzerland, Wales
    Country
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: Skadi Beauty Contest Part One

Hoo Boy! Abby Normal, first off, this is just my opinion, I cannot speak for others. I know beauty is and is not skin deep. One can be attractive and have the attitude of a jack ass, or ugly as sin and kind hearted. It's when one is attractive AND kind hearted that one becomes beautiful. (does that make sense?) As we obviously cannot get to know each member on a personal level here, we cannot truly judge for true beauty. I use the term "Beauty Contest" as it is the term commonly used in pagents which test for skin deep beauty. That is what this contest is, a contest of face-value beauty. If one loses, or wins, that does not mean that person is genuinly beautiful. Only they can know if they are or not. I understand your frustration/concern for how women are viewed, I agree it is wrong. Women should not be judged based soley on how they look, but they are. That is how we have been conditioned. Commercials and magazines show the "pretty people" because they sell things. Nothing wrong with that. It's a marketing strategy. (I'm starting to ramble here). It's when people stop paying attention to the "real world" and start going by the media's world that they become, sidetracked so to say. Movies give us stereotypes to go by, even though we should be able to judge people for ourselves.....after we have met them and gotten to know them. And I will go know before I get completely off topic.
    mtDNA - H_7_a (ftDNA) H_7_a_1 (23andme)
    AbDNA - 100% Eur. 23andme: 99.99% Eur., .01% Af.
    23andme: 99.73% European, .27% African
    23andme V3 update awaiting use, got a kit for mom too.

Last Online
    Monday, June 6th, 2005 @ 02:03 AM
    Subrace
    Corded Pontid/Cro-Magnid
    Country
    Other Other
    Occupation
    Evil water sprite
    Politics
    laissez-faire
    Religion
    Impious free thinker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Caffeine!

I knew you were up to something.

I might have come off as a bit harsh, but my point was that my original post was about how in our society, 'looks' are way too important to most women, and that our worth should be determined by more than physical appearance alone.
    Well, on that I agree. Women are almost always judged by their looks and unfortunately most members of the female sex are very vulnerable when it comes to physical appareance. It's a whole industry going on, of course. You have to look a certain way or you're not "desirable". And in order to look a certain way you buy all sorts of things, given the fact that there's no end to the stuff women buy, myself included, unfortunately.

Last Online
    Thursday, August 20th, 2009 @ 12:11 AM
    Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Subrace
    Uralic/Alpine/Pontid mixed
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink Re: AW: Re: Skadi Beauty Contest Part One

So, isn't anyone going to respond to my oddball ideas on gender?
    When I have time, yes I will reply to your oddball ideas on gender. And believe me they certainly of odd ball nature.

It is indisputable, however, that I am the smartest female on this forum!
    Nahhhhhhh...........

Last Online
    Subrace
    The Other Seedline
    Politics
    No-bless O'Bleeg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool Re: AW: Re: Skadi Beauty Contest Part One

NP: There always have been and always will be people like you who are so blinded by the current status-quo that they fail to see beyond it, much less work toward achieving something better. On to your close-minded comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Paladin
    What's wrong with having "This" kind of Mindset?
    Everything that could possibly be wrong with a mindset.

A woman needs to look good to impress men...
    I am dumbfounded by this display of naivety. What if I told you that you need to look good to impress women, and that this is the only way for you to obtain status? Do you think that women actually LIKE being oppressed in this manner?

that is after all how a woman gains social status. And women know how to use their sex appeal(womanly wiles) to their advantadge.
    So you're saying that physical appearance should be the only venue for women to achieve status? What about if, (shock!) women were actually given the same right as men to achieve status through intelligence, achievement and hard work on things OTHER than appearance? This must be a radical notion to you, a pragmatist who apparently sees things strictly as how they are rather than how they should be.

I don't think this kind of Mindset will ever change it's just the way Mother Nature intended things to be.
    Oh, really? I've already countered this! In the animal world, it's the male who has to look good to impress the female. Very rarely is it the other way around. Read my post on page 9 for more.

Anyways why don't we start another Beauty Contest?
    Because it is misogynistic! I have taken another radical step on the path to feminazihood and have decided to take no part in this contest. I have no need to parade myself in front of people in hopes of affirmation of my 'self-esteem' in real life, and the same goes for the Internet. I am happy with my looks and do not need the approval of anyone. Quite frankly, comments about my appearance, both positive and negative (of which those commenting would doubtlessly keep to themselves in the 'real world') make me regret ever posting my pictures on the Internet.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast