Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts

The Most Diverse Cities Are Often The Most Segregated

When I was a freshman at the University of Chicago in 1996, I heard the same thing again and again: Do not leave the boundaries of Hyde Park. Do not go north of 47th Street. Do not go south of 61st Street. Do not go west of Cottage Grove Avenue. 1

These boundaries were fairly explicit, almost to the point of being an official university policy. The campus police department was not committed to protecting students beyond the area,2 and the campus safety brochure advised students not to use the “El” train stops just a couple of blocks beyond them unless “traveling in groups and during the daytime.”
    What usually wasn’t said — on a campus that brags about the diversity of its urban setting but where only about 5 percent of students are black — was that the neighborhoods beyond these boundaries were overwhelmingly black and poor. The U. of C. has, for many decades, treated Hyde Park as its “fortress on the South Side,” and its legacy of trying to keep its students within the neighborhood — and the black residents of surrounding communities out — has left its mark on Chicago.

On Dustin Cable’s interactive “Dot Map” of racial residency patterns, Hyde Park appears as an island of blue and red dots — meaning, mostly white and Asian students and residents — in contrast to Chicago’s almost uniformly black South Side, designated in green dots. Washington Park, the neighborhood just to Hyde Park’s west, is 97 percent black3. Woodlawn — the neighborhood on the other side of 60th Street — is 87 percent black.
    Source

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    My father (a progressive Roosevelt Democrat) went to college on Chicago's south side in the late 1950s and even then it had a major crime problem. My father always had a low of opinion of Chicago to the point of not wanting to make connecting flights through Chicago - you know, all the minority hires at the airports.

What the article doesn't mention is that both Barack and Michelle Obama were employed at the University of Chicago, Barack until 2004 and Michelle up to 2009. The Obama's Chicago residence is with the Hyde Park boundaries. Hyde Park, and other Southshore (on the lake front) communities, is where Chicago's Negro elite live.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    4 Days Ago @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    They say it like it's a bad thing. Quite to the contrary, I don't want the racial others to mingle with us. It's pleasant to walk for minutes and hours without seeing even the token Turk or Negro.

In the past few months I have both visited Vienna and Munich for weekend stays. Both cities are irrevocably swamped with foreigners (Newspeak has this down as 'ethnically diverse'): The Munich statistic is somewhere near 37% whilst the Vienna statistic tops the rankings at 49% foreign background.

It was surprising there though, that as a city to visit Vienna made a much more pleasant impression. Thanks to our lodgings and its semi-segregated nature, we spent all weekend in Vienna within the 2nd & 3rd Bezirk (Leopoldstadt, Landstraße). Both are full with Greens-voters, and 2nd has its share of Jews, but we failed to see a Turk all weekend by staying in the 'right' areas of a city that's almost split between an indigenous and a foreign half.

In Munich, I found this a lot more disconcerting. Whilst there were some particularly unpleasant hotspots such as the Central Station area, I found that you saw them everywhere. There was little chance to hide away from them, you'd meet them almost anywhere. Prepare to walk a residential area (except for the really upmarket ones) and you could run into a Nazgul any time.

That being said, it may be different for living circumstances, because nosy people from the opposing side of the spectrum can be much more unpleasant in everyday dealings than token foreigners one can ignore most days.

I live in a town district which basically consists of Voters of the FPÖ, Foreigners and Foreigners who vote for the FPÖ & that's curiously a much more friendly daily atmosphere than upmarket suburbs full of Greens waiting to poke their nose in + then play the race card because you still haven't given all your kids' toys to asylum seekers.

Of course the ideal shall be eventually moving back to the countryside, where it's both homogenously indigenous AND conservative-patriotic-traditional.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    I spent most of my time in North Chicago and only went through the South Side for transportation purposes. The place is a war zone. I'm not bothered by the Negro-on-Negro crime there being among the highest murder rates in the world. I'm not going to divert them from naturally living according to their culture in Uganda and Rwanda. It would be racist of me to assume that they ought to behave according to my customs in a country they didn't want to be in to begin with. It's wrong of me to accept the position of trying to enforce Stockholm syndrome among foreigners in my country, because some of my countrymen kidnapped them and think I want to be their accomplice in the crime, as if it is racial solidarity. I'd rather help them get back to living with their own kind, so they and we can each fix our own problems and quit offending each other. The Underground Railroad goes to Africa.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodskarl Dubhgall For This Useful Post: