Religion
    Lapsed Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Americans Reveal How Life in Britain is Different

https://www.quora.com/What-is-it-lik...United-Kingdom

Given the ‘special relationship’ between the US and the UK, a bit of friendly competition is harmless.

The Americans have New York; but the UK has London. America has Tootsie rolls but the UK has scones.

The comparisons can go on forever, and the goodly Americans over at Quora decided to share what it’s like to live in the UK, home of crumpets and the Queen.

There are quite a few differences between the big ol' US of A and little old Britain, the latter country being:

1. More diverse (specifically London)

2. Has smaller food portions

3. Free healthcare (NHS)

4. Parks

5. Stronger (and therefore better) cheddar

6. Informal work structure

7. Loads of pubs across the country

8. Pub culture

9. Castles and other heritage sites

10. Happier people

11. The surprising number of American chain stores

12. More annual leave in the UK (25 days as opposed to the US 10)

13. Jaywalking isn’t illegal

There are a few unflattering aspects of Britain, too:

1. Frequent tube strikes

2. Shops close at 7

3. Smaller homes

4. Counter-intuitive pronunciations of place names (Leicester, Warwick, Southwark)

But most of all:

The UK is very, very expensive.
    http://indy100.independent.co.uk/art..._campaign=i100

That last one is something I've heard before from Brits who've gone over to America. Most things, especially housing, are less expensive. And ofcourse wages are higher and taxes lower in the States.

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago @ 06:20 AM
    Ethnicity
    Mostly German/Some English/Some Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    State
    Texas Texas
    Far Right
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    I know multi - cult London and other UK cities are bad but they just don't compare with america as a whole. Here in the States we are swamped with mexicans and the negro has been taking over communities for some time now. Look up "chocolate cities". We also have large numbers of pak i's, puerto ricans, jews, etc. The fact that Americans think this isn't diverse enough is no surprise.

Last Online
    Friday, October 7th, 2016 @ 02:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Cape Province Cape Province
    Youth
    Religion
    none
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    One big difference is in the US property is relatively inexpensive, excluding London. This means average people can buy a house and in the country a house on a piece of land. Property values are so high in the UK that this is less possible for average people.

Last Online
    Sunday, June 17th, 2018 @ 06:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    It's all of the very little innocuous things that make the difference. Some things I noticed:

- In Sainsbury's you had to pay to use a cart (sorry, "trolley") and get grocery bags

- There is this concentrated currant drink that you're supposed to mix with water

- Streets and store aisles seemed narrower

- Some people name their houses (which I love)

- TV licenses. We actually had a government agent come to our dormitory due to an unauthorized TV signal, which was just a hilarious notion to me.

Last Online
    Friday, October 14th, 2016 @ 12:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Celt
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Youth
    Occupation
    Law student
    Politics
    Conservative, Nationalist
    Religion
    Lapsed Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulfram View Post
    I know multi - cult London and other UK cities are bad but they just don't compare with america as a whole. Here in the States we are swamped with mexicans and the negro has been taking over communities for some time now. Look up "chocolate cities". We also have large numbers of pak i's, puerto ricans, jews, etc. The fact that Americans think this isn't diverse enough is no surprise.
    Most of the Americans in this country probably live in London - the most "diverse" city in the world, or so it advertises itself.

Things outside London aren't good, but outside Leicester, Bradford, and some parts of Birmingham, the non-white population is less than 10%.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    One big difference is in the US property is relatively inexpensive, excluding London. This means average people can buy a house and in the country a house on a piece of land. Property values are so high in the UK that this is less possible for average people.
    Very true though the US situation is getting bad around San Francisco, New York and some other places, because of the restrictions the Democratic governments there have placed on building new houses.

Britain has had a higher home ownership rate for years now, but it's falling rapidly. London is absurd but there's a problem around the country except for some economically depressed parts.

Quote Originally Posted by SaxonCeorl View Post
    It's all of the very little innocuous things that make the difference. Some things I noticed:

- In Sainsbury's you had to pay to use a cart (sorry, "trolley") and get grocery bags
    Hehe, the biggest retailer, Tesco's doesn't have the requirement to slot in a one pound coin. Can be annoying fishing around in your purse for a quid.

- There is this concentrated currant drink that you're supposed to mix with water
    Oh I've never like that. On the subject of soft drinks not avalible on the other side of the pond, in an American diner recently I was offered a selection of American sodas. We have coke obviously but I have never tasted anything like what I had imported straight from Texas and Wisconsin there.

- Streets and store aisles seemed narrower
    - Some people name their houses (which I love)
    Many people also like to name their cars

- TV licenses. We actually had a government agent come to our dormitory due to an unauthorized TV signal, which was just a hilarious notion to me.
    Millions of Britons have stories like yours. My grandma years ago only had a black-and-white TV. A government person came around to enquire about this, she lied to them momentarily but then bought a colour TV.

Courts are full of TV liscence cases, it was half of what my grandfather magistrate (a type of judge, without any legal qualifications, that covers less serious offences) had to deal with. But most Brits don't complain because we are very attached to the BBC.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 8th, 2016 @ 11:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    13. Jaywalking isn’t illegal
    But it is annoying, and it has an anarchistic undertone.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    614 Posts
    This thread reminds me of this video.

Doug Stanhope - America is Great (Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe)

Relax it is just comedy.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Youth
    Religion
    none
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    There were (once upon a time) four way intersections in cities in the US where all traffic lights would briefly turn red and pedestrians could walk any way they wanted. Is this what people are calling jaywalking?

Last Online
    Sunday, June 17th, 2018 @ 06:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Englisc View Post
    Oh I've never like that. On the subject of soft drinks not avalible on the other side of the pond, in an American diner recently I was offered a selection of American sodas. We have coke obviously but I have never tasted anything like what I had imported straight from Texas and Wisconsin there.
    When I first bought it I was drinking it straight while in the kitchen with my housemates...

Me: Wow guys, this is strong...

Them: ......you're supposed to mix it with water, mate...

I miss Strongbow; cider isn't nearly as popular here. Probably for the best, as it's so sugary.

I remember getting Virgin Cola one time over there and feeling uneasy knowing that there's a company that both makes soft drinks and flies planes Most companies brand their various sectors differently, presumably to avoid this ubiquitous "Acme Corporation" image.

Quote Originally Posted by Englisc View Post
    Millions of Britons have stories like yours. My grandma years ago only had a black-and-white TV. A government person came around to enquire about this, she lied to them momentarily but then bought a colour TV.
    The agent was going around knocking on the doors this one morning; I woke up to answer the door and my eyes were quite dry so tears were streaming down. He asked me if I knew about an authorized TV signal in the building while I'm there with water streaming down my eyes, and he said something like "alright, well I can see that you're upset, I'll leave you now, thanks for your cooperation," etc.; I was so embarrassed, he probably thought I was distraught at being questioned or something

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Youth
    Religion
    none
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Is Strongbow British? I enjoy Patrick Stewart's commercials about Strongbow which we see on American TV. It is amazing how he can make a statement or even a clipped statement so entertaining. Strongbow is good stuff.

In California we have the usual assortment of sodas but we can also buy Mexican sodas. First, Mexicans use real sugar and if you are opposed to high fructose corn syrup, don't drink American sodas without reading the label. Most contain this poison. Mexican sodas are made from their local fruit which we don't even get in the US---which we don't even know exist in the US. So they are something which should not be missed at least in California. By the way, Mexican Coca-Cola comes in the old-time little bottles and demands a premium price in the US. Why? It tastes so much better. Why? Because it is made with real sugar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast