Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Mountain Will You Climb Next?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, November 8th, 2016 @ 11:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Which Mountain Will You Climb Next?

Next on my list is Ben Nevis by the CMD Arete, the ridge on the left:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    In general, those mountains that I have climbed never really were planned that far ahead; it mostly depended on where I was going and what I could find there. But there are some I have on my 'to do list':

Watzmann mountain range, near the Königssee in Bavaria, with the highest summit being 2714 meters.

I once started climbing the Slættaratindur, the highest mountain of the Faroe islands with 880 meteres. We made it up until the ridge, but the weather was too bad to continue the last part to the summit, so it's my wish to return someday to complete this. It is said that with perfect weather you have the furthest view on earth, where you can (very rarely) even see Iceland.

Perhaps this summer I will climb the 2344 m Ellmauer Halt in Austria, highest peak of the Kaiser mountains.

Anachronism "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    350 Posts
    Holy crap. I get dizzy on top of an 8 foot ladder.

Alright, I'll be ambitious and say I'd hike to the top of this:

Most people think as they are trained to think, and most people make a majority.

Last Online
    Friday, October 7th, 2016 @ 02:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Cape Province Cape Province
    Youth
    Religion
    none
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Huginn ok Muninn View Post
    Holy crap. I get dizzy on top of an 8 foot ladder.

Alright, I'll be ambitious and say I'd hike to the top of this:

I'm with you. I climbed into a car and drove to the top of Mona Loa which was over 14,000 ft.

Last Online
    Friday, October 14th, 2016 @ 12:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Celt
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Youth
    Occupation
    Law student
    Politics
    Conservative, Nationalist
    Religion
    Lapsed Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Uhm...Can Valserberg, the highest point in the Netherlands, count? I've been there. https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaalserberg

Seriously, I wish I was fit enough to climb a mountain. Something I'd love to be able to do, but I've never found the willpower to get the weight off (I'm somewhat overweight) or to get fit enough. One of my greatest personal failings.

My uncle does a lot of fell running though. He has run up Snowdon and Ben Nevis, among other smaller mountains.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 08:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post

I once started climbing the Slættaratindur, the highest mountain of the Faroe islands with 880 meteres. We made it up until the ridge, but the weather was too bad to continue the last part to the summit, so it's my wish to return someday to complete this. It is said that with perfect weather you have the furthest view on earth, where you can (very rarely) even see Iceland.
    You definitely wouldn't be able to see Iceland from the top of Slættaratindur. From a height of 880m your horizon would be 106km away assuming an unobstructed view. This page does the calculation; http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm

106km is not nearly far enough to be able see Iceland which is over 500km away from the Faroes.

And Slættaratindur certainly doesn't afford the farthest line of sight on earth. Any taller mountain with a view of the ocean to the horizon would allow you to see farther. Mauna Kea in Hawaii at over 4000m would be one example and there are many others.

However if you can see the top of another tall mountain from the summit of one you are on, then you might be able to see even beyound the ground-level horizon.

According to google the farthest line of sight on earth is from the top of Mt. Killimanjaro to the top of Mount Kenya 325km away.

The next mountain I'll be climbing will be BenBulben in County Sligo. I might do it next Monday if the weather is good. At 550m it not a particularly high mountain, even by Irish standards, but there we are, you take whats available.

Benbulben.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horned God
    You definitely wouldn't be able to see Iceland from the top of Slættaratindur. From a height of 880m your horizon would be 106km away assuming an unobstructed view. This page does the calculation; http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm
    What one would be able to see is the Vatnajökull, which rises over a 1000 meter above sealevel. But there are other variables at work here. At least, that's what the Guinness World Records say.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    According to Guinness World Records Slættaratindur is the object of the world's longest sight line, 550 km from Vatnajökull, the largest glacier in Iceland. GWR state that "owing to the light bending effects of atmospheric refraction, Vatnajökull (2119m), Iceland, can sometimes be seen from the Faroe Islands, 340 miles (550km) away". This may be based on a claimed sighting of Vatnajökull by a British sailor in 1939, during the British occupation of the Faroe Islands in World War II when they were used to monitor German shipping and U-boat movements. The validity of this record is analysed/undermined in mathematical and atmospheric detail by J.C. Ferranti.
    Source

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Englisc View Post
    Seriously, I wish I was fit enough to climb a mountain. Something I'd love to be able to do, but I've never found the willpower to get the weight off (I'm somewhat overweight) or to get fit enough. One of my greatest personal failings.
    It's not a question of willpower or the ability to resist hunger. You're just eating the wrong food. Namely too much simple carbohydrates and not enough fruit and vegtables.

If you want to lose weight to be able to climb mountains then you need to make a priority of eating as much fruit and vegetables as you possibly can every day.

If you commit to doing that you'll never be hungry, and won't have room in your stomach for all the cakes and biscuits etc, that are making you fat now.

Start off slowly with foods you like. Do you like apples? Eat a bag a day. Do you like pears or bananas or peaches? Same policy. You don't need to limit those kinds of foods. Boiled or baked Potatoes are also fine as are beans and peas and any type of vegetable. You can eat any of those foods in unlimited quantities and you'll almost certainly lose weight and be healthier, and never be hungry.

Have a look at this video about calorie restriction. I'm not suggesting you start practicing calorie restriction but the example is instructive. The man in the clip is a poker-thin 9 and a half stone at 5'9" inches tall. The average man his height is 12 stone. The reason he is so thin is he only consumes 1900 calories a day.

Difficult to maintain you might think, as that's fewer calories than the average woman consumes, but look at how bulky and full of fiber the food he eats is.

He couldn't be eating that weight of food everyday and be hungry, no one could, that is why he has maintained such a low calorie consumption;

Calorie Restriction

His dinner weighs 3 pounds or about 1.5kg in vegetables! And because it's all fiber it takes all day to digest so he's never hungry. Take a leaf out of his book (or salad) and you'll be amazed at the amount of weight you lose without needing to feel hungry at any time.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
    What one would be able to see is the Vatnajökull, which rises over a 1000 meter above sealevel. But there are other variables at work here. At least, that's what the Guinness World Records say.
    A 1000m elevation still only allows you to see 112km. Add that to the 106km that the 880m elevation of Slættaratindur allows you to see and you have a combined line of sight of 218km, still no where near to closing the 550km distance between those two points.

The story of some sort of atmospheric lensing making the view possible is interesting, but uncorroborated. Even if it happened it was most likely a one off event, since it has never been reported since.

So assuming it happened, it may be the longest line of sight that ever took place but it wouldn't be true to say it is the longest line of sight that currently exists, as it doesn't currently exist in any physical sense. Nor is it strictly accurate to say that it is a rare event. An event that only happened once can't be said to be rare, it is unique.

Last Online
    Friday, October 14th, 2016 @ 12:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Celt
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Youth
    Occupation
    Law student
    Politics
    Conservative, Nationalist
    Religion
    Lapsed Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horned God View Post
    It's not a question of willpower or the ability to resist hunger. You're just eating the wrong food. Namely too much simple carbohydrates and not enough fruit and vegtables.

If you want to lose weight to be able to climb mountains then you need to make a priority of eating as much fruit and vegetables as you possibly can every day.

If you commit to doing that you'll never be hungry, and won't have room in your stomach for all the cakes and biscuits etc, that are making you fat now.

Start off slowly with foods you like. Do you like apples? Eat a bag a day. Do you like pears or bananas or peaches? Same policy. You don't need to limit those kinds of foods. Boiled or baked Potatoes are also fine as are beans and peas and any type of vegetable. You can eat any of those foods in unlimited quantities and you'll almost certainly lose weight and be healthier, and never be hungry.

Have a look at this video about calorie restriction. I'm not suggesting you start practicing calorie restriction but the example is instructive. The man in the clip is a poker-thin 9 and a half stone at 5'9" inches tall. The average man his height is 12 stone. The reason he is so thin is he only consumes 1900 calories a day.

Difficult to maintain you might think, as that's fewer calories than the average woman consumes, but look at how bulky and full of fiber the food he eats is.

He couldn't be eating that weight of food everyday and be hungry, no one could, that is why he has maintained such a low calorie consumption;

Calorie Restriction

His dinner weighs 3 pounds or about 1.5kg in vegetables! And because it's all fiber it takes all day to digest so he's never hungry. Take a leaf out of his book (or salad) and you'll be amazed at the amount of weight you lose without needing to feel hungry at any time.
    I'm aware of the low-carb diet - and that it's not a good idea to focus on calorie restriction as that can lead to you actually gaining weight over time. I tried going low-carb for a while and I think I did start to get some weight off, along with generally consuming fewer calories per day than I had before, but I didn't manage to keep it up.

Dunno, I probably didn't focus enough on the diet and went too cold-turkey on the sweet stuff leading to cravings. I think I'll have another go at it considering the lessons I learned from last time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast