Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Mountain Will You Climb Next?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 08:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Englisc View Post
    Dunno, I probably didn't focus enough on the diet and went too cold-turkey on the sweet stuff leading to cravings.
    You don't have to cut the sweet stuff out completely, even fitness experts don't recommend doing that. They recommend eating small "cheat meals" of junk food a couple of days a week or when when cravings hit.

The key is to give in a little bit at the first sign of a craving while you still have plenty of self-control left. Then it's not a big deal to eat a small chocolate bar and leave it at that. But if you wait until your blood sugar has completely crashed and you are like a wild beast at the colosseum you'll just eat everything in sight. So try not to let yourself get to that point.

I'd recomend giving in to cravings as soon as they appear in a controlled way, and then immediately afterwards eat a load of fruit, 3 large apples say. The fruit will add some natural sugar and a lot of fibre which will slow the absorption of the simple carbs your after eating and prevent the cravings coming back for probably a few hours.

Some people would assume that if you eat 3 large apples after a bar of choclate you are just loading yourself with additional calories, but it doesn't work like that, what you are doing is greatly decreasing the average calorie density and rate of absorption of the "meal" by greatly increasing the fibre content of the "meal". That's the important thing. 3 pieces of fruit now will mean you won't be as hungry later because your blood sugar will be supported for a much longer time than on choclate or cake alone.

Just as an estimate if you got 20% of your daily calories from chocolate bars, cake, biscuits etc, you'd be slightly chubby maybe, but actually about average. 20% of your daily calories is 400 calories. That's like a bar or cadbury's dairy milk and a couple of chocolate hobnobs. In terms of bulk it's nothing, it won't fill you up. It'd represent nearly a quarter of your days calories yet you'd be craving sugar again half an hour later. That's why eating like that doesn't work if you want to lose weight. And the best way to ensure that you don't repeat a sugar binge too often during the day is to chase the junk food with a lot of bulky fibrous food like fruit. Try it and see if it works for you.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, July 12th, 2019 @ 02:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    English/German combo
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Sagittarius
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Which Mountain Will You Climb Next?
    K2, in my dreams!

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horned God View Post
    The story of some sort of atmospheric lensing making the view possible is interesting, but uncorroborated. Even if it happened it was most likely a one off event, since it has never been reported since.
    Well yes, but that's the thing we don't know. It's not even sure whether the claim is based on this one recorded sighting. Hence me phrasing the whole thing as "it is said", refering to the World Guinness Records. Anyway, I wouldn't go up there expecting to see Iceland.

*As a correction to my previous post, the Vatnajökull is over 2000 meters, not 1000.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
    *As a correction to my previous post, the Vatnajökull is over 2000 meters, not 1000.
    Even a 2500 meter elevation allows a line of sight of 178km so it doesn't change the calculation decisively. You still won't see Vatnajökull from the Faroes even on the clearest day under normal conditions.

The whole idea of being able to see Islands in the Atlantic that aren't there or at least are't where they appear to be (perhaps due to some sort of mirage) is an interesting one.

There may be an instance of a similar phenomenon in the legend of "Hy-Brasil".

"Brasil, also known as Hy-Brasil or several other variants,[1] is a phantom island said to lie in the Atlantic Ocean[2] west of Ireland. Irish myths described it as cloaked in mist except for one day every seven years, when it became visible but still could not be reached."
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingvaeonic View Post
    K2, in my dreams!
    In your nightmares more like. For every 4 people that successfully summit K2, 1 dies on the mountain.

You'd have a far lower chance of dying doing 3 or 4 tours of duty in Iraq or Afghanistan. Why would anyone want to risk their lives to that extent just to go and do something that hundreds of people have done before? I don't understand it.

I did attempt to climb mount Blanc a few years ago, I got pretty high but had to turn back because of bad weather. But the risk of dying on Mount Blanc is 1 in 500, not 1 in 4...

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    English/German combo
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Sagittarius
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    In your nightmares more like. For every 4 people that successfully summit K2, 1 dies on the mountain.

You'd have a far lower chance of dying doing 3 or 4 tours of duty in Iraq or Afghanistan. Why would anyone want to risk their lives to that extent just to go and do something that hundreds of people have done before? I don't understand it.

I did attempt to climb mount Blanc a few years ago, I got pretty high but had to turn back because of bad weather. But the risk of dying on Mount Blanc is 1 in 500, not 1 in 4...
    Yes, there is an element of truth in what you say.

K2 is clearly the most dangerous of the Eight-thousanders of the Himalayan and Karakoram mountain ranges. It has a death-rate percentage of 22.8%, according to the Wiki item on the subject, by far the highest death-rate percentage of all the Eight-thousander mountains.

Link: Eight-thousander

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingvaeonic View Post
    Yes, there is an element of truth in what you say.

K2 is clearly the most dangerous of the Eight-thousanders of the Himalayan and Karakoram mountain ranges. It has a death-rate percentage of 22.8%...[].

Link: Eight-thousander
    According to that page there is an 8000'er more dangerous even than K2. Annapurna has seen 191 successful assents and 61 deaths. Making a death rate of 25.1%. Most of the deaths are due to fluid on the lungs or brain. Other deaths are due to avalanche. All causes of death that the climbers have little or no control over.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    English/German combo
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Sagittarius
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    According to that page there is an 8000'er more dangerous even than K2. Annapurna has seen 191 successful assents and 61 deaths. Making a death rate of 25.1%. Most of the deaths are due to fluid on the lungs or brain. Other deaths are due to avalanche. All causes of death that the climbers have little or no control over.
    I must have missed that. I shall have another look.

Damn it! You're right. Annapurna I has a death-rate percentage of 25.1%.

Well, K2 has the second highest death rate of the eight thousanders.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, November 8th, 2016 @ 11:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The West Flank of the Eiger has been on my list for a couple of years now. It would be a sightseeing trip to see the famous north face close up! It is within my ability, I can climb grade 1 scrambles, but it would be wise to hire a guide.

It is a two day walk, with a bivouac halfway up:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flag-Soil View Post
    It is within my ability, I can climb grade 1 scrambles, but it would be wise to hire a guide.
    I would suggest to you that if you think you might need a guide for something like that, then you definitely need one! Suppose the weather closes in, as it can on the Eiger, would you trust yourself to find your way safely in zero visibility?

Also the route appears to be glaciated near the top. How experienced are you at distinguishing snow and ice that is sound enough to bare your weight from that which isn't? One stumble there and if you aren't roped to anyone you could be a gonner...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast