No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drusilla View Post
    Yes, "Asterix and the Normans" is one of the funniest and one of the best Asterix stories.

It's simply one of the most accomplished albums in the integration of the dialogues between the characters and the drawing. Almost every panel (frame) is a pure reading joy.

I still have my copy. Reading Asterix was part of my childhood.
    Yes, when I was kid and sick .... my father used to bring me either Asterix or Lucky Luke albums. Even if those were translated to Swedish....the text became much worse after Goscinny era. Oh, I just can wonder how good they are with original language.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Finnish Swede For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Swiss German
    Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Direct democracy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    May I ask that people thinks about these kind of eyes with blonde? Light gray eyes. Are those ugly ?

I have light blue eyes, but some of my Finnish Swede relatives have those. I might carry that gene too (as a passive) ...
    It is not a Germanic trait, or?
    There is no such thing as a "Germanic trait", Germanics can be of any eye colors from light grey to dark brown. As to whether grey eyes are ugly or not, it's subjective, purely a matter of taste. Grey eyes that tend more towards grey than blue (like in the past photo you posted, or like in the following photo) aren't really my top choice, as they can appear a bit colorless/bland.

I'm more a fan of brighter, prominent colors, such as this blue:

Or this light blue:

Anyway, like I said, that's subjective. Opinions may differ.

As for naturally blonde hair and brown eyes, it is possible. I've seen it in Switzerland and Germany. Some children have light blonde hair and brown eyes, then the hair darkens to a darker blonde.

Blonde/brown can look cute, although it has also to do with the facial features. I find the latter most impotant. There is more to someone than their eye or hair color. And yes, tone, shade and skin color also matter to how harmonious the combination will be.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 06:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Finland Swede Community Finland Swede Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winkelried View Post
    There is no such thing as a "Germanic trait", Germanics can be of any eye colors from light grey to dark brown.
    Sure, today (Europeans are quite mixed). I just wondered originally .... or purest form.

Light grey eyes are very close to blue eyes ... this is what one member wrote to me in Apricity forum.

''Grey and blue eyes are very similar and it isn't even clear about the difference in genes involved. Like everything though if it is in your family genetics you have the chance of carrying the genes and of course passing it on to your children. They think the difference between blue and grey eyes could be due to the amount or size of protein in the stroma which possibly could be larger in grey eyes. Not sure how much you understand about eye colour but it all depends on how much pigment you carry in the clear front of the iris so blue eyes aren't really blue but the colour is caused by light hitting the back of the eyes and reflecting back through the collagen protein in the stroma (it is more an allusion). This is called Rayleigh scattering. Brown eyes absorb light because there is pigment at the front of the eyes so the light isn't reflected back. Anyway I don't want to go into too much detail but even though blue eyes have low pigment, grey eyes might have even less and also have possibly different amount or size of collagen in the stroma, which causes the wavelengths of light to be reflected back more equally instead of the scattering making the colour look grey. All the different eye colours and the pigments involved especially between the difference in blue and grey eyes haven't been studied in depth yet so it is difficult to say regarding the dominance of these traits.

I agree with people though that the more vivid blue eyes appear to be a more Northwestern Euro trait and the more grey eye colour Northeastern so there is obviously more genes involved. It is just not well understood as of yet''

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Finnish Swede For This Useful Post:

Mein Glaube ist die Liebe zu meinem Volk. Juthunge's Avatar
    Last Online
    2 Hours Ago @ 05:44 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordid-CM
    Religion of the Blood
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winkelried View Post
    There is no such thing as a "Germanic trait", Germanics can be of any eye colors from light grey to dark brown.
    True but there are still patterns. Germanic populations, some quite recently mostly only culturally Germanised populations(as for example, parts of your Swiss canton of Graubünden) excepted, are predominantly light-eyed with much of the rest being mixed eyes of some sort(hazel, for example), rather than pure (light) brown(Although that's obviously not entirely uncommon either. Dark brown eyes are very uncommon though, in my opinion).
    Among the light eyes, blue eyes seem far more common than gray eyes, which in turn are more common among Slavs and Balts. Although I'm not sure if they reach predominance among them, they're at least a strong minority of the light eyes.
    "Man kann sich heute nicht in Gesellschaft um Deutschland bemühen; man muss es einsam tun wie ein Mensch, der mit seinem Buschmesser im Urwald Bresche schlägt und den nur die Hoffnung erhält, dass irgendwo im Dickicht andere an der gleichen Arbeit sind." - Ernst Jünger

Ancient DNA: List of All Studies analyzing DNA of Ancient Tribes and Ethnicities(post-2010)

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 06:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Finland Swede Community Finland Swede Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juthunge View Post
    Among the light eyes, blue eyes seem far more common than gray eyes, which in turn are more common among Slavs and Balts. Although I'm not sure if they reach predominance among them, they're at least a strong minority of the light eyes.
    Still I doubt strongly that there would be any ethnics in world which has more light grey eyes people than blue eyes people .... some just have those too, some others not at all.

I might carry that light grey eye genes (recessive) ... and I would like to know how it might transport/be passed on through to next generation? For example between grey eyes mother and blue eyes father?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Finnish Swede For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    It is good to keep in minds, that hair dyeing is very common nowadays ....and especially to lighter shade.
    Yep, though all blondes do this, even those with light eyes. I'm dark/dirty blonde and I've got at least 7 shades of color in my hair... I dye my hair a more uniform shade sometimes. In fact I'd wager that a lot of them folks with blonde/blue are actually bottles. Not that there's anything wrong with hair dying, us women like to experiment with it just as we do with makeup and nail polish.

There's a big reason folks dye their hair lighter... light hair adds youthfulness and innocence, no matter the eye color.

Compare Brigitte Bardot, brown vs. blonde (she's a natural brown)

Or Leighton Meester (she's a natural blonde - as Resist said, she had to dye her hair for Gossip Girl, probably cause the blonde hair made her too innocent for the role)

Kristen Stewart is also a natural blonde.

[Staff note: discussion on hair dying split. Please continue discussion here.]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234