@
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

Report: Iceland World’s Most Peaceful Nation

Iceland is the most peaceful country on the planet, according to this year’s Global Peace Index. It marks the second year in a row that the tiny island nation claimed the top spot, while a report from the Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP) also suggests that the world has got more peaceful as a whole.
    Read more: http://www.icenews.is/index.php/2012...#ixzz1yYYvJkJk

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    287 Posts
    Another article on it: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/06/18/...-the-world-is/

"Iceland is peaceful not so much because of intentional policy but rather because of that fact that it is so small that it can't project any power and chooses to support and seeks military protection from nations that often engage in warfare. You will also notice that size of population makes a noticeable difference to the level of crime."

Last Online
    Wednesday, June 27th, 2012 @ 08:58 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Iceland....worlds most peaceful....

Haiti....worlds most violent and backward.......

mmmmmmmm wonder why.....

Last Online
    Friday, August 10th, 2012 @ 11:36 PM
    Status
    On Holiday
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    English, German
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Artist/homemaker
    Politics
    Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I spent some time backpacking in Europe as a teenager (I'm a Canadian), and during my stay in Norway, I met a group of travelling young men who were a sports team of some kind. I have to say that I have never seen such good looking people in my life. These young men were very handsome, much more than any other people that I have met on my travels through many countries.

Last Online
    Saturday, July 20th, 2019 @ 03:51 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single adult
    Religion
    Nature
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Adalheid View Post
    I spent some time backpacking in Europe as a teenager (I'm a Canadian), and during my stay in Norway, I met a group of travelling young men who were a sports team of some kind. I have to say that I have never seen such good looking people in my life. These young men were very handsome, much more than any other people that I have met on my travels through many countries.
    Well ... what nationality were they ?

A lot of police departments in the USA I know are just under reporting minority crimes to make it look like there is less crime in their district.
    Til árs ok friðar

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

Diversity-Free Iceland Ranked Most Peaceful Nation on Earth

The Nordic island nation was designated the most peaceful nation on earth, according to the Institute for Economics & Peace’s latest Global Peace Index. Apparently there’s something about the Nordic countries that makes them prone to outbreaks of peace. Denmark was ranked second and Finland No. 6. The other two Nordic nations, Sweden and Norway, placed were No. 13 and 17, respectively.

The United States was way down on the Global Peace Index, placing at No. 94, but a definite improvement from last year’s 101. Part of the improvement came from the partial withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan and U.S. efforts to secure a nuclear deal with Iran. Canada placed seventh on the global list.

The authors of the report noted that “while the average level of global peacefulness was stable, a number of indicators and countries did deteriorate while others improved.”

Europe, North America, sub-Saharan Africa and Central America and the Caribbean “experienced an improvement in peace” while “the other five regions became less peaceful.”

The Middle East and North Africa was deemed “the least peaceful” region in the world due to several countries suffering “from an upsurge in violence related to sectarian strife and civil conflicts.”
    http://whiteresister.com/index.php/1...ation-on-earth

Last Online
    Friday, October 7th, 2016 @ 02:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Cape Province Cape Province
    Youth
    Religion
    none
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Screw it, I'll say it again, I love Iceland.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 7th, 2017 @ 12:29 AM
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Germanic and Celtic
    Ancestry
    British Isles & Scandinavia
    Subrace
    Borreby x Nordic
    Country
    Other Other
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Gondolier
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Screw it, I'll say it again, I love Iceland.
    Sadly the living costs are high indeed. I have been to Torshavn on a sail cruiser mind.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Iceland is the safest country in the world

According to the Global Peace Index Iceland is the safest country in the world, for the 5th time in a row. They first started releasing the list of the most peaceful countries in 2007, when Iceland was not taken into account since some reliable data was missing, according to Wikipedia. From 2011, Iceland has been number one at the list every single year! (In 2010 it was second, 2009 it was fourth and in 2008 it was number 1).

So what makes Iceland so safe?

This big country, with a small population of roughly 325 thousand people has no army, a murder rate of 0-1,5 per year, virtually no violent crimes, very small amount of petty crimes, police officers don't carry guns and probably most importantly, people are very equal, no matter what their sex, sexual orientation or belief is!

That means that there is no 'class system', some people may be richer than others but they all live side by side and go to the same schools, Iceland is also number 1 in gender equality, the LGBT community is respected and celebrated and religious clashes are few, as most people are not very actively religious, although most people are still a part of the Lutheran State Church (around 80%).

So if it's peace, safety and equality you're looking for, Iceland is the place to go!
    https://guidetoiceland.is/connect-wi...y-in-the-world

Why is violent crime so rare in Iceland?

Iceland is awash in guns, yet it has one of the lowest violent crime rates in the world. US law student Andrew Clark asks why.

Even though I grew up in New England, there was something novel about seeing an Icelandic blizzard. It was paralysing, with epic wind gusts that made snowflakes feel like razors.

As I dragged my bags along Reykjavik's snowy pavement, an older man in a Jeep pulled alongside me.

"You want to get in?" he asked.

It sounded crazy. Why would I ever get in a stranger's car?

Despite everything I was taught about riding in cars with strangers, I climbed in the backseat. And I knew nothing bad was going to happen to me.

After all, I was in Iceland for a week to study the nation's lack of crime, my second trip there in six months.

I had spent the last three years in Boston at Suffolk University Law School, where I was studying international law.

Before my first visit to Reykjavik in August 2012, my law school thesis was settled - a study of cyber warfare and the Geneva conventions.

But a week in Iceland changed my perspective. I was pleasantly flummoxed by what I saw.

Violent crime was virtually non-existent. People seemed relaxed about their safety and that of their children to the point where parents left their babies outside and unattended.

I'd spent time in Norway, Sweden, and Denmark, but those countries now appeared plagued with crime by comparison.

Once I got back to America, I changed my thesis topic.

I wanted to know what Iceland was doing right.

Frankly, there is no perfect answer as to why Iceland has one of the lowest violent crime rates in the world.

According to the 2011 Global Study on Homicide by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), Iceland's homicide rate between 1999-2009 never went above 1.8 per 100,000 population on any given year.

On the other hand, the US had homicide rates between 5.0 and 5.8 per 100,000 population during that same stretch.

After visits with professors, government officials, lawyers, journalists and citizens, the pie-chart breakdown became clear - though admittedly, it is impossible to determine how much each factor contributes.

First - and arguably foremost - there is virtually no difference among upper, middle and lower classes in Iceland. And with that, tension between economic classes is non-existent, a rare occurrence for any country.

A study of the Icelandic class system done by a University of Missouri master's student found only 1.1% of participants identified themselves as upper class, while 1.5% saw themselves as lower class.

The remaining 97% identified themselves as upper-middle class, lower-middle class, or working class.

On one of three visits to Althing, the Icelandic parliament, I met Bjorgvin Sigurdsson, former chairman of the parliamentary group of the Social Democratic Alliance. In his eyes - as well as those of many Icelanders I spoke with - equality was the biggest reason for the nation's relative lack of crime.

"Here you can have the tycoon's children go to school with everyone else," Sigurdsson says, adding that the country's social welfare and education systems promoted an egalitarian culture.

Crimes in Iceland - when they occur - usually do not involve firearms, though Icelanders own plenty of guns.

GunPolicy.org estimates there are approximately 90,000 guns in the country - in a country with just over 300,000 people.

The country ranks 15th in the world in terms of legal per capita gun ownership. However, acquiring a gun is not an easy process -steps to gun ownership include a medical examination and a written test.

Police are unarmed, too. The only officers permitted to carry firearms are on a special force called the Viking Squad, and they are seldom called out.
    In addition, there are, comparatively speaking, few hard drugs in Iceland.

According to a 2012 UNODC report, use among 15-64-year-olds in Iceland of cocaine was 0.9%, of ecstasy 0.5%, and of amphetamines 0.7%.

There is also a tradition in Iceland of pre-empting crime issues before they arise, or stopping issues at the nascent stages before they can get worse.

Right now, police are cracking down on organised crime while members of the Icelandic parliament, Althingi, are considering laws that will aid in dismantling these networks.

When drugs seemed to be a burgeoning issue in the country, the parliament established a separate drug police and drug court. That was in 1973.

In the first 10 years of the court, roughly 90% of all cases were settled with a fine.

There's an inimitable make-up of Iceland which, ostensibly and ideally, could provide guidelines for people in other nations who are looking for solutions to their crime issues.

As I climbed into the back of that man's Jeep that morning, he smiled and asked if I needed help with my luggage. And even though I knew nothing about him, I felt safe.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22288564