Moderate
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Lab-Grown Burgers 'Will Be on the Menu by 2020'

Dutch scientists have used stem cells to create strips of muscle tissue with the aim of producing the first lab-grown hamburger later this year.

The aim of the research is to develop a more efficient way of producing meat than rearing animals.

At a major science meeting in Canada, Prof Mark Post said synthetic meat could reduce the environmental footprint of meat by up to 60%.

More at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16972761

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 09:55 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Englisc/Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Married
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    English Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I thought that artificial strips of meat were already in the Public domain, AKA the Milliband Brothers.

Last Online
    Thursday, October 12th, 2017 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    Pan Germanic
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    Other Other
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lab-Grown Burgers 'Will Be on the Menu by 2020'

As an assumed carnivore, I'm curious as how it would impact the current system of the meat market.

Scientists set up company to make stem cell meat an affordable reality Lab-grown burger from bovine stem cells could be on sale within 5 years. In 2013, the team cooked and ate a burger that cost £215,000 to produce The 142g 'cultured beef' patty, developed at Maastricht University, was lightly fried in a butter and oil and took three months to grow.

Sources:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...e-reality.html

http://www.futurefood.org/in-vitro-meat/index_en.php

And here's an interesting video:

https://www.facebook.com/humansofthe...6218415535841/

Last Online
    Friday, October 7th, 2016 @ 02:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Cape Province Cape Province
    Youth
    Religion
    none
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Humans have evolved to eat a mixed diet which includes meat. But killing to get meat when other foods are available is objectionable to some people. Still, those same people seem to eat meat as the craving for meat becomes too strong. Meat supplies fat and protein as well as iron which we need to feel strong.

This idea of lab grown burgers does appeal to me as there will be no moral conflicts about satisfying meat cravings and fulfilling nutrient requirements because nothing is being killed.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 02:31 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    686 Posts
    Humans are meant to eat meat, meat is a natural product. I understand that meat now is raised on an industrial level, but I think this goes too far.

Killing your own meat is a natural act, we are more and more removing ourselves from nature. When we remove ourselves too far from nature we become weak and even possible lose our respect for nature and life.

If you don't like meat, don't eat it. If you don't like hunting don't hunt. But, never try and enforce your will on others when it comes to killing animals and hunting.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 08:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    I'm not against this in theory. I don't see it as being any different in principle than eating an omelette.

I wouldn't however, pay a premium for "vat grown" meat. In fact it would need to be cheaper than regular meat to tempt me and I would need to be absolutely sure it was healthy and, it might take some years to convince myself of that.

One advantage of vat-grown meat might be that it could reduce the environmental footprint of meat production. Atm the earths available pasture land is just about maxed-out and yet the demand for meat continues to increase.

The way things are going the worlds remaining rain forests will be the price of the insatiable demand for meat. If a vat-grown alternative that was healthy and safe to eat was developed and led to a slowing of the process of deforestation then so much the better.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    5 Days Ago @ 01:23 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Germanic Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    I'm with SB on this I think it is too far, it removes us from nature even more. I'm against massive factory farming for the same reasons, it only exists via our artificially exploded population.. I'm also of the opinion that unless you've killed, prepared and eaten an animal yourself at least once you really can't understand that essential part of being human and perhaps you should, or just abstain from eating meat entirely.(again a ridiculous thing mainly enabled by modern industrial society..)

„Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horned God View Post

One advantage of vat-grown meat might be that it could reduce the environmental footprint of meat production. Atm the earths available pasture land is just about maxed-out and yet the demand for meat continues to increase.

The way things are going the worlds remaining rain forests will be the price of the insatiable demand for meat. If a vat-grown alternative that was healthy and safe to eat was developed and led to a slowing of the process of deforestation then so much the better.
    I disagree with our pasture lands being maxed out. Livestock is being farmed on an industrial scale because of economic reasons ( higher profit yields ). If you look at North America as an example before European settlement there were mass herds of animals on the plains of the US and Canada. So mass in fact that a single herd might run past you for days, this was reported on many cases by the explorers.

There is still an abundance of un-used land here. While I'm totally against modern industrial style farming, there is still a lot of land to be used yet. IMHO at least here in America and Canada we need to get back to small farms and quit trying to feed the whole world with just a few grain crops.

Vat grown meat is just weird science looking for making a profit. I shudder to think of the chemicals used in this. I think the taste would be very bland, when eating an animal the taste of the meat is affected by diet. Slow grown grass fed beef in much better than grain fed beef in both texture and taste. Industrial raised hogs ( something I know a lot about ) have less fat and less taste than traditional raised hogs. I don't want a dry pork chop, I want something juicy and full of flavor and texture. I like to see and taste the blood coming out of my beef steak.

I think overall we need to stop feeding these third world countries that are overpopulating at an alarming rate. This would also stop the immigration of these useless populations into our lands.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 08:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpearBrave View Post
    I disagree with our pasture lands being maxed out. Livestock is being farmed on an industrial scale because of economic reasons ( higher profit yields ). If you look at North America as an example before European settlement there were mass herds of animals on the plains of the US and Canada. So mass in fact that a single herd might run past you for days, this was reported on many cases by the explorers.
    Today in the U.S alone there are 90 million head of cattle.

By comparison, it is estimated that the population of wild Bison in the U.S and Canada reached a peak of about 60 million animals.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_bison

And that was before they had to share space with millions of Hogs, Chickens and 300 million humans...

I'm pretty sure that if you went from modern industrial farming back to pasture raising cattle you would see the herd numbers dropping sharply and the price of beef rise sharply as a result.

There is still an abundance of un-used land here. While I'm totally against modern industrial style farming, there is still a lot of land to be used yet.
    Is there really though? I think you'll find that most of the apparently empty grassland you may be thinking of is being used for something. Usually either for hay or corn to feed the animals in the feed lots. If potential agricultural land really is going unused it is almost always because it is too dry to support grass, livestock or much of anything else.

IMHO at least here in America and Canada we need to get back to small farms and quit trying to feed the whole world with just a few grain crops.
    The meat produced from small farms is ok for those who can afford to buy "grass-fed" beef. While it is good stuff and I prefer it myself, not everyone can afford to buy it, least of all working people with young families. I think they should have the option of buying cheaper factory raised beef if they want to, assuming the animals are not being too badly treated.

Vat grown meat is just weird science looking for making a profit. I shudder to think of the chemicals used in this.
    "Vat-grown meat" does sound weird but the only important question to me is "will it be healthy?"And that remains to be seen.

As for vat-grown meat separating us from nature, well unless you're a professional hunter it seems to me that just about every aspect of the modern way of life separates you from nature already. If you want to feel connected with nature just go on a fishing or hunting trip once in a while.

Industrial raised hogs ( something I know a lot about ) have less fat and less taste than traditional raised hogs. I don't want a dry pork chop, I want something juicy and full of flavor and texture. I like to see and taste the blood coming out of my beef steak.
    I have nothing to disagree with you about here. Certainly grass fed beef or traditionally raised pork is tasty and will almost certainly be more tasty than vat grown meat.

However, I still think that if a food is cheap, relatively healthy, and not damaging the environment then it should be an option for people to avail of if they wish, no matter how "weird" it might seem at first glance.

I think overall we need to stop feeding these third world countries that are overpopulating at an alarming rate. This would also stop the immigration of these useless populations into our lands.
    Some way has to be found to limit population growth in the 3rd world. I grant you that, but banning the export of grain to those countries isn't the way. It just wouldn't be a politically viable option.

For a start, the grain producers would go nuts. The price of their product would plummet and half of them would go out of business. Not even Trump would suggest that as a policy.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

„Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horned God View Post
    Today in the U.S alone there are 90 million head of cattle.

By comparison, it is estimated that the population of wild Bison in the U.S and Canada reached a peak of about 60 million animals.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_bison

And that was before they had to share space with millions of Hogs, Chickens and 300 million humans...

I'm pretty sure that if you went from modern industrial farming back to pasture raising cattle you would see the herd numbers dropping sharply and the price of beef rise sharply as a result.

Is there really though? I think you'll find that most of the apparently empty grassland you may be thinking of is being used for something. Usually either for hay or corn to feed the animals in the feed lots. If potential agricultural land really is going unused it is almost always because it is too dry to support grass, livestock or much of anything else.

The meat produced from small farms is ok for those who can afford to buy "grass-fed" beef. While it is good stuff and I prefer it myself, not everyone can afford to buy it, least of all working people with young families. I think they should have the option of buying cheaper factory raised beef if they want to, assuming the animals are not being too badly treated.

"Vat-grown meat" does sound weird but the only important question to me is "will it be healthy?"And that remains to be seen.

As for vat-grown meat separating us from nature, well unless you're a professional hunter it seems to me that just about every aspect of the modern way of life separates you from nature already. If you want to feel connected with nature just go on a fishing or hunting trip once in a while.

I have nothing to disagree with you about here. Certainly grass fed beef or traditionally raised pork is tasty and will almost certainly be more tasty than vat grown meat.

However, I still think that if a food is cheap, relatively healthy, and not damaging the environment then it should be an option for people to avail of if they wish, no matter how "weird" it might seem at first glance.

Some way has to be found to limit population growth in the 3rd world. I grant you that, but banning the export of grain to those countries isn't the way. It just wouldn't be a politically viable option.

For a start, the grain producers would go nuts. The price of their product would plummet and half of them would go out of business. Not even Trump would suggest that as a policy.
    Well to most of what you posted....... No.

I live in rural America and I farm, I travel across the country at least once a year there are millions and millions of un-used prime farm land acres in America. I come from a farming family who still farms. My education is in agriculture. I raise hogs and cattle as a pass time and for extra cash.

The big grain producers in North America are not even farmers they are banks working of government handouts. There has been many studies on micro/small farming and it is very successful and "green" compared to these waste lands of just row crop farming.

These third world countries that get grain from the US and Canada don't actually pay for the grain our governments actually just give it to them. We produce so much food here that the US government actually pays farmers not to grow food. If we would actually think about small farms and the employment of people on small farms instead of going so industrial urban the market would actually stabilize itself very quickly.

In the 1980s Ronald Reagan stopped giving grain to our then biggest "customer" the USSR. It did not effect the farm market that much. In fact it raised the cost of tillable land.

I can in fact grow enough food on just what I mow for my lawn to feed at least 20 families of four. My lawn is not even that big compared to others in rural America....how's that for wasted land. Just sitting there growing grass that has to be mowed once or twice a week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast