Politics
    Ethnocentrism
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Post Re: Question : Is Scotland Germanic?

It's quite rediculous that Celts are in a different grouping than Germanic people. All Celtic people are Germanic. There is no racial difference whatsoever.

Of course Scotland is germanic. So is England. I'm not so sure about Ireland and Wales though....

The Scots are the most nordo-germanic looking in the whole british isles, from what I've seen anyway.

Only good things to the Scots. A very great people!

Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 09:35 PM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NordicPower88
    It's quite rediculous that Celts are in a different grouping than Germanic people. All Celtic people are Germanic. There is no racial difference whatsoever.
    Of course Scotland is germanic. So is England. I'm not so sure about Ireland and Wales though....

I don't dubt Scotland being phenotypically very nordic ; this is true. But i have many dubt that Celtic and Germanic pop. being the same thing : imo, they're different between them like Germanic and Slavic populations are.
    If Celtic pop. are Germanic, then Ireland too should be Germanic (this hasn't any sense, i think); Again, if you consider "Celtic" in it's wider sense, then France and North-Italy should be added too. Honestly, i find all that questionable.

Last Online
    Thursday, July 28th, 2011 @ 06:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish (basically)
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Post Re: Question :

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfarer
    The general consensus among historians is that the dialect of Gaelic spoken in Galloway is Gaelg. Just do any google search with Galloway Gaelic or Galloway Gaelg and you will find not one site that says they spoke Dalriadan Gaelic. Like even you claimed earlier in the thread the last speaker died in the 17th century. I would like to know what evidence you have that Dalriadan Gaelic was spoken there since it is you who disagrees with the general view that Gaelg was spoken.
    Most of the websites say that Manx is closely related to the Galloway and Ulster varieties of Gaelic. I'm not sure if that is just conjecture though.

But the question is whether or not there was an influx of Gaelic speakers from Man or anywhere for that matter. I haven't seen any evidence for that.

Gaels, Britons, Picts. I thought you were claiming they were Dalriadan Scots. Which is it now?
    Speaking the language of Dalriada does'nt make you a Dalriadan Scot. However, I didn't actually claim that they adopted the Dalriadan variety; merely that Gaelic spread in Galloway through Dalriadan political dominance, in much the same way that Inglis spread in Scotland through the dominance of England.

Caledonia is from a Pictish tribe who were from much further to the north.
    That's true but they seem to have been, at least largely, the dominant tribe. I would assume that the authors of the hypothesis think that 'Caledonian' was sometimes used generically to mean all Picts, as is often the case with dominant tribes.

Gaelg like all Gaelic dialects naturally comes from Ireland originally. Gaelg was spoken originally in Ireland spreading to the Isle of Man and Galloway. The Gaelg dialect exists today only on the Isle of Man.
    I don't think I've heard the Galloway dialect referred to as 'Gaelg'. I haven't heard of a written form of it either, so as I said it'd be difficult to know what it was like. But have you heard of a written form of it?

If you have some new evidence that suggests otherwise
    Otherwise than what?

"more freshly Irish aspect" qo he. WTF does that mean. You do talk alot of pish sometimes.
    Well, perhaps my terminology isn't quite up to scratch, but even so, surely the context made it clear what I meant. What I'm saying is that the Vikings had come 'freshly' (i.e. directly) from Ireland, and if their leaders could speak Gaelic, it would obviously have been an Irish variety, and could be partly responsible for differences between the Galloway and Dalriada dialects, the latter of which was well established in Scotland and so had not 'freshly' arrived from Ireland.

But as for 'qo he', 'WTF' and 'pish', maybe we both need some touching up on our skills of expression

Last Online
    Thursday, July 28th, 2011 @ 06:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish (basically)
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfarer
    Always the same with the damn Irish. Separatism
    Divide and conquer tactic

Quote Originally Posted by KULL
    But i have many dubt that Celtic and Germanic pop. being the same thing : imo, they're different between them like Germanic and Slavic populations are.
    Indeed the Slavic and Germanic groups are probably closer to one another than the latter is to the Celtic group.

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 25th, 2006 @ 12:24 PM
    Subrace
    Arya/Paleoeuropeidal (norda) :D
    Country
    Fairness
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NordicPower88

Why, I'm confused... Aren't all Celtic people Germanic?
    "slavic" languages are absolutely arteficial (Read "slawenlegende"). The "glagolica", invented by a bunch of monks, is nothing but an ancient esperanto, creating new words, definitions and alphabet out of regional slangs.

The craddle of European Civilization comes from the North. All blond people originate from the north. So if you see a blond-blue eyed Slovene, Russian, Czech, Polak ect., you can be 100% sure that his ancient ancestors originated from "Germanics" (Germanic = Nordic).
    "slovenja" was the settelment of the Langobards = Germanics/Teutons. "Poland" of the Goths and East-Vandals ect. ect. What do "slavs" tell us about their origin?
    Some silly story that they originate from some swamps in the east and popped out of no where into history.

So you see my dear "Gorostan" [=Triglav], you are in reality a "Germanic" indoctrinated with panslav propaganda and historic fantasy stories. ~Dr. Brandt, former TNP and Skadi member

Last Online
    Country
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Triglav
    Why, I'm confused... Aren't all Celtic people Germanic?

Are you joking right ?

Last Online
    Wednesday, March 19th, 2008 @ 08:46 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I see Celts and Germanics as two sides of a very thin coin. Beyond linguistics there is little that seperates the two. Which is as it should be. Both represent the Northern European race at its finest.
    Wita sceal ge■yldig, ne sceal no to hatheort ne to hrŠdwyrde, ne to wac wiga ne to wanhydig, ne to forht ne to fŠgen, ne to feohgifre ne nŠfre gielpes to georn, Šr he geare cunne. Beorn sceal gebidan, ■onne he beot sprice­, o■■Št collenfer­ cunne gearwe hwider hre■ra gehygd hweorfan wille.

http://www.odinic-rite.org/index2.html
    http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Celtic and Germanic peoples split rather late and have intermingled a great deal, but I disagree all Celts should be considered Germanic. I do think the gap between the two groups is so small and blurred we can speak of a Celto-Germanic ethnic complex in northwestern Europe, though.

Last Online
    Country
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Siegfried
    I disagree all Celts should be considered Germanic. I do think the gap between the two groups is so small and blurred we can speak of a Celto-Germanic ethnic complex in northwestern Europe, though.

I agree. Celtic and Germanic are two different populations. In the british isles these two component are so mixed each other that we can use the term Celto-Germanic

Last Online
    Country
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crux Gammata
    Yes

Ireland too ?

Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast