Traditionalist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Results of my Ancestry.com DNA Test

I had a DNA test done through Ancestry.com this past Christmas. The results were interesting:

The definitive regions were about what I'd expect, but would have turned them on their head. I'm more "Western European" than the average native-born Western European (they tend to around 45%), despite only having a handful of German and French ancestors. I'm overwhelmingly English, so the minuscule "Great Britain" component was surprising. I'm wondering if Anglo-Saxon and such DNA might register as Western European due to historical links. Their "Ireland" category also includes Scotland, and at a third of my ancestry that's dead on. I was surprised to see no discernible Scandinavian or Iberian given historical migrations.

I cannot account for the other three - they're certainly not in my lineage, and the test says they're "trace regions" which likely appear by chance and aren't actually part of my genetic composition.

Eala Freia Fresena
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, July 29th, 2019 @ 12:24 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Friese
    Ancestry
    Friesland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married
    Occupation
    selfemployed
    Politics
    rightwing
    Religion
    none/pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Is Jew a race? What is the particular jewish gene?

For sure they have genes from everyone in the world, mostly negro, but there isn't a real jewish gene as far as I know. Jew is a mental sickness of heavily racemixed people.

It is most likely a thing from Ancestry.com being jewish or at least heavily influenced.
    weel nich will dieken dej mot wieken

Freethinker "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, November 2nd, 2019 @ 03:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Europid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    In a steady relationship
    Politics
    Reason, Freedom, Justice
    Religion
    Truth, Greatness, Beauty
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Whom do they consider to be „European Jews”? The Sephardim?

How Ashkenazi Jewish Are You?
    This is a placeholder for a signature.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 4th, 2018 @ 03:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid/Atlantid
    Country
    Dominion of Canada Dominion of Canada
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Traditionalist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocko View Post

For sure they have genes from everyone in the world, mostly negro, but there isn't a real jewish gene as far as I know. Jew is a mental sickness of heavily racemixed people.

It is most likely a thing from Ancestry.com being jewish or at least heavily influenced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorburn View Post
    Whom do they consider to be „European Jews”? The Sephardim?

How Ashkenazi Jewish Are You?
    Their European Jewish category encompasses the Pale of Settlement and a wider part of Eastern Europe - you can see a vague outline around the geographical area on the map - and seems to point only to the Ashkenazim. Ancestry.com's own method for gathering the sample populations used to construct their genetic categories wouldn't work in the case of European Jewry due to historic dispersal. A very strange and nebulous category indeed.

Last Online
    Friday, June 22nd, 2018 @ 10:47 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Lowland Scots, Pennsylvania German
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Washington Washington
    Married
    Occupation
    Pixels
    Politics
    Public Lands Libertarian
    Religion
    Gnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loyalist View Post
    I had a DNA test done through Ancestry.com this past Christmas. The results were interesting:
    My Opinion: Do not trust Ancestry.com DNA test for Race of Ancestry.

As near as I can tell ancestry.com started out pretty basic, but changed their algorithm based on user surveys.

In other words, they polled the users as to what they thought they where and adjusted the results accordingly.

I say this after having taken 3 DNA tests, one from ancestry, one from 23andme.com and one from FTDNA.

At first all the results matched, for me about 70% GB/Irish, the rest undefined Northern European.

Then after Ancestry sent out the user surveys, my ancestry results turned on its head, it became around 30% Irish, 60% Western European and 11% Iberian.

23andme and FTDNA have held to the original results for over 4 years now.

So take the Ancestry results with a grain of salt.

Just my opinion based on my experience.

Good luck

Pining for a Mythical Past
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, May 16th, 2016 @ 03:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, Welsh, Scottish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Nationalism, Pro Brexit
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The definitive regions were about what I'd expect, but would have turned them on their head. I'm more "Western European" than the average native-born Western European (they tend to around 45%), despite only having a handful of German and French ancestors. I'm overwhelmingly English, so the minuscule "Great Britain" component was surprising. I'm wondering if Anglo-Saxon and such DNA might register as Western European due to historical links. Their "Ireland" category also includes Scotland, and at a third of my ancestry that's dead on. I was surprised to see no discernible Scandinavian or Iberian given historical migrations.

I cannot account for the other three - they're certainly not in my lineage, and the test says they're "trace regions" which likely appear by chance and aren't actually part of my genetic composition.
    Kind of odd to split off the Celtic fringes and Ireland off from the Britain cluster really. I don't know how they've figured out their reference population/whatever. I guess they went with defining their Great Britain category as what isn't "Irish" or Western European in those clusters.

23andMe puts British & Irish together and has broadly Southern and broadly Northern categories.

Oh, and on ancient Iberian migration - that was on Oppenheimer and I don't know if his theory of the Basques being the closest to the R1b source in Europe, and Ice Age expansion into British Isles spread it. A large amount of the Basque country is within the marked Europe West area on that map.

I'm not sure how well Oppenheimer's work holds up to the current research because...well... it is a hell of a lot to read up on.

This quote from a question and answer article might help you with understanding it:
    Q—Regarding your statement that 75-95 per cent of paternal genes in Britain are of Iberian origin, is this genetic material distinct and specific only among Basque-type peoples, or does some of it share features with other, non-Basque Europeans? If the latter is true, why is it omitted from your findings?

Timothy Burton

A—I do discuss the questions you raise, but in chapters 3 and 4 of my book The Origins of the British, not in the more condensed Prospect article. Part of the answer to your query is in my answer to Douglas Forbes above, but allow me to expand a little more here.

As you suggest, the re-expansion of paternal group R1b and maternal group H from the Basque Ice Age refuge spread up the coasts of all the countries facing the Atlantic, after the ice melted. The British Isles retained higher rates than the other countries, for several reasons related specifically to early movements directly from the Basque country rather than from general diffusion from western Europe. First, as a result of lower sea levels, the British Isles, in particular Ireland, were connected and at the furthest edge of the extended Ice Age European continent, and thus received the bulk of early coastal migration. Then, as sea levels rose, first Ireland then Britain became islands, relatively insulated from further migration from elsewhere in Europe, thus preserving their high rates of R1b and similarity to the initial settlements.

The means by which I could separate the R1b types in the British Isles from those on the other side of the channel is by the use of “Founder Analysis.” That is, looking at the detail of their gene types (so-called STR haplotypes). These revealed 21 founding clusters, which could only have arrived direct from the Basque country. Their descendant twigs are unique to the British Isles. Furthermore I was able to date the arrival of these individual clusters using their diversity.

Stephen Oppenheimer
    http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/ma...estryrevisited

Hope this puts you in the right direction of figuring it all out, I've not been focused enough to get too clued up.

Their European Jewish category encompasses the Pale of Settlement and a wider part of Eastern Europe - you can see a vague outline around the geographical area on the map - and seems to point only to the Ashkenazim. Ancestry.com's own method for gathering the sample populations used to construct their genetic categories wouldn't work in the case of European Jewry due to historic dispersal. A very strange and nebulous category indeed.
    Most likely the DNA of a sample group of Ashkenazi Jews was compared to the other European populations and the genes only expressed in this group and throughout this group are put in the category.

. "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Religion
    +
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Post ...Too Much To Write...

There is a hell of a lot of stuff I could write and say about all of this; but I do want to stress quickly with this post that the tiny percentages aren't even worth mentioning (i. m. o.). It's the big percentages that mean a lot. E. g., I've adopted the view that any % under 5% isn't worth the time telling anyone about, because such figures aren't all that relevant; but a figure in the 30% range, for example, is something worthy of bringing up with others for the sake of discussion(s), because there is actually some 'weight' and meaning to it.

It amazes me how so many folks 'out there' go straight to discussing the tiny figures at the expense of the bigger ones (I've seen this time and time again); and very often it will involve persons 'trying' or wanting to be something that they're not; like, e. g., those certain modern-day White-/Europid-Americans who are hell bent on being called and considered 'AmerIndian' with a % of 3%! Such obsessions and attitudes are absurd, but they do indeed exist with certain persons 'out there.'

. "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Religion
    +
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Thumbs Up GEDmatch...

Also, quickly, for those of you who haven't done it: go upload your RAW-data files from either 23&Me, Ancestry, and/or Fam.TreeDNA into GEDmatch; located here: https://www.gedmatch.com/login1.php . The tools, reports, etc. therein will be quite an eye-opener for you. For example, if you want to see how genetically-close you are to European-Basques (just to use one example); you can actually investigate that therein, whereas the aforementioned major DNA testing services won't show that to you. So, it's not like you're 'enslaved' to what the major testing services tell and show you. All three of these major services will sequence your personal genome to reasonable and comparable degrees; for this reason alone these services are worthy of praise (and they are under peer review, mind you). Remember, it really wasn't that long ago that nobody could get their genome sequenced.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 08:14 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I am not convinced about the ownership of those sites. If someone can prove to me they are owned by a serious geneticist whose best interest lies with Germanics, that's where my next bonus is going.

Since that's not the case, or indeed since I've heard that some of these sites are owned by people who can only be considered friendly to Germanics and/or Germanicism by a very generous margin and thus I'm not supporting the motion to put out my inheritable material on the internet.

Not to mention that in some countries where Free Speech is not so cherished, posting your DNA profile on a forum like these could essentially establish the missing link from that inciteful account and the glass of water you drank whilst they heard you out.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 05:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Celtic
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Vagrant
    Politics
    Nativism/Nationalism
    Religion
    Summum bonum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocko View Post

"European" Jews are absolutely an ethnic group, even if you factor in the small Sephardic presence - one large genetic cluster with the subgroups having considerable overlap.

I would ignore anything that is 1% or less on these tests, it's probably just noise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast