Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    287 Posts

White Males Now Classed As a 'Minority Group' at University

Women now dominate Britain’s universities and professions to such an extent that a leading institution has launched a campaign to recruit more “white males”.

The move by the Royal Veterinary College, where more than three-quarters of the intake are female, marks the first time that white men have been included in a strategy to help under-represented groups.

While the college is an extreme case, it reflects a wider trend of women overtaking men in education. Of the 24 leading universities in the Russell Group, only three have a majority of male students.

Across UK universities, 984,000 female undergraduates are studying for degrees, compared to 713,000 male. The gap is expected to widen in future years as new government rules make it easier for universities to recruit students with A-level grades of AAB or better, more of whom are female.
    While last week’s A-level results showed boys narrowly outperforming girls at the A* grade for the first time, girls remained significantly more likely than boys to achieve grades in the upper range of A* to B.

According to Mary Curnock Cook, the chief executive of the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service, the “very worrying gap” between male and female performance at school and university is leading to “fundamental shifts” in society.

Figures from professions which were traditionally male bastions reveal the workplace gender revolution.

In law, women made up 60 per cent of individuals qualifying to practise and admitted on to the roll of solicitors in 2010.
    In the same year, 56 per cent of places in UK medical schools went to women, compared to less than a quarter in the 1960s, and it is predicted that by 2017 female doctors will be in a majority.

Yet while women account for 62 per cent of trainee GPs they make up less than a third of hospital consultants. A reluctance among female doctors to take on more demanding specialties, such as cardiology, has led to fears of shortages in key areas.

Women’s domination in veterinary science is also causing concern. About three-quarters of newly qualified vets are now female. By 2015, it is estimated that 90 per cent of those qualifying will be women.

The huge imbalance has prompted the Royal Veterinary College, with campuses in north London and Hertfordshire, to launch a campaign, outlined in its annual report to the admissions regulator Offa, to attract “white males”, among other under-represented groups such as pupils from poor backgrounds and ethnic minorities.

White males are defined as under-represented because while they make up about 45 per cent of the UK population, according to the last census, they account for only 20 per cent of the college’s intake.
    Prospectuses and publicity materials have been redesigned to feature photographs and quotes from white male students. Visits to schools and college roadshows specifically target boys.

The college also targets other under-represented groups including ethnic minorities of both genders, who together make up about 10 per cent of the UK population but only 6 per cent of the students at the college.
    They are sought out through schemes such as a science Saturday school for pupils from inner London.

By contrast, white women are overrepresented among the students, and are not being targeted for recruitment.
    Professor Stephen May, vice-principal for teaching at the college, said: “Our concern is that just in terms of the professional community, having a good gender mix is healthy.

“It may be that in recent years, good quality male candidates have been attracted to more lucrative careers, such as banking.
    "The decline in agriculture versus small animal practise could also be a factor. We are not in the business of quotas, that would be discriminatory, but we hope in the long term we will see progress with white males.”

This year, 84,000 more women applied to higher education than men. The only Russell Group universities where male students are in a majority are Cambridge, the London School of Economics and Imperial College, London.
    Women outnumber men in the vast majority, including King’s College, London, where 67 per cent of students are female, and Cardiff University, where the figure is 60 per cent.

Mrs Curnock Cook said: “If you look at educational achievement through primary and secondary school and then university outcomes there is a very worrying gap between males and females.

“Somebody needs to address what it is about our education system that is allowing females to perform overall so much better than males. If this trend continues it will start to underpin quite a fundamental sociological change.”
    While women are forging successful careers on the back of superior performances in school and university exams, some fear boys are being left on the scrap heap by an education system which disadvantages them.
    Coursework and modular exams, less emphasis on the physical, outdoor curriculum and the lack of male teachers have all been blamed for boys’ underachievement. White working class boys now do worse at school than any other group.

Diane Houston, a psychology professor and graduate school dean at Kent University, said that whilst boys may be disadvantaged at school, women still faced a glass ceiling in the workplace.

“There are issues about the way in which schools have become feminised,” she said. “There is a culture in some schools which can be quite difficult for boys, the sitting still and being neat and organised.

"Some can be put off education at a critical point.
    “But I’m not sure that at this point we should be screaming about percentage differences in attainment given the way in which women’s careers atrophy through their reproductive lives. There may be more women training to be solicitors, but the judges are men.”
    Source http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...niversity.html

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 02:21 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Austria
    Subrace
    Nordic-Alpine mix I believe
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Student
    Politics
    Radical Traditionalist
    Religion
    Transcendental Naturalism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    All the "critical-theory"education is really paying off, it seems....
    Let truth and falsehood grapple...truth is strong-
    John Milton

Last Online
    Sunday, June 17th, 2018 @ 06:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Just as I don't think certain minority groups should be given preferential treatment to remedy their apparent inability to perform, I really don't think we need to take action just because there are more women in higher education than men. I and many other men have done very well in school without any problems.

"Coursework and modular exams, less emphasis on the physical, outdoor curriculum and the lack of male teachers have all been blamed for boys’ underachievement."
    I don't know how it's been historically in the British education system, but in America school teachers have always been predominantly female, especially at the younger age groups. Is that not the case over there?

“There are issues about the way in which schools have become feminised,” she said. “There is a culture in some schools which can be quite difficult for boys, the sitting still and being neat and organised.
    I think this notion is just completely off. If anything, "sitting still and being neat and organised" was much more a part of the education system in the past than it is today. You won't see modern students get a ruler across the knuckles for squirming around in their chair or losing their homework. I think females might just be more attuned to this kind of environment and have gotten ahead now that we allow women the same opportunities to advance in education.

Much like with race, we don't need each gender to be represented 50/50 in every facet of life. If girls are better at school, so be it.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus.
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 09:25 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Albion.
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    'anti-semite'
    Politics
    Republicanism, traditionalism, .
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Lol, there is a girl in the bottom row (third from the right) who looks like she's doing a facepalm. She probably saw the title of the story and this is her reaction.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 12:59 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    liberal in spirit not politics
    Religion
    Questioning
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think part of the problem is that girls and boys DO develop at different rates (girls faster at first, boys catch up later). So if they have co-ed classrooms, ironically especially at the younger ages when you'd think the "sexual" aspect doesn't matter, it can undermine the boys confidence.

Boys and girls schools or at least classes being separate is actually a good idea.
    Denn das Schöne ist nichts
 als des Schrecklichen Anfang, den wir noch grade ertragen,
 und wir bewundern es so, weil es gelassen verschmäht, uns zu zerstören.

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 05:52 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Nordish Preservationist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    'White working class boys now do worse at school than any other group'.

With the promotion of multiculturalism, queer studies, feminism and dead white male bashing in the academic world (which is a bastion of cultural Marxism in contemporary society) it was always on the cards. Curriculum is continually critical of the ‘whiteness’ and ‘heterosexual males’.

It would also be amiss not to mention the use of affirmative action in the academic world in the first place to the disadvantage of white males.

I recently read this:

The University of California, Berkeley, once a WASP stronghold, has changed radically: only 30% of its undergraduates in 2007 were of European origin (including WASPs and all other Europeans), and 63% of undergraduates at the University were from immigrant families (where at least one parent was an immigrant), especially Asian.
    Our beauty is our power, our strength. We can’t allow them to change us, to lessen us. I will never grant them that satisfaction, and neither should you!

White Oleander

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 12:59 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    liberal in spirit not politics
    Religion
    Questioning
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think that affirmative action in the sense they have it in the USA is not allowed according to UK anti-discrimination law (specifically the only time you can pick a candidate BECAUSE they are from a protected group is if there are two identically qualified candidates and one is from the "oppressed" group or whatever and the other isn't).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_emp...ositive_action
    Denn das Schöne ist nichts
 als des Schrecklichen Anfang, den wir noch grade ertragen,
 und wir bewundern es so, weil es gelassen verschmäht, uns zu zerstören.

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 05:52 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Nordish Preservationist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    The "oppressed" group would be black not white.

No wonder black women are earning more than white women in Britain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nterparts.html

After the London race riots last year I read an article that said the police force were targeting blacks for recruitment through advertisement etc.
    Our beauty is our power, our strength. We can’t allow them to change us, to lessen us. I will never grant them that satisfaction, and neither should you!

White Oleander

Pining for a Mythical Past
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, May 16th, 2016 @ 02:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, Welsh, Scottish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Nationalism, Pro Brexit
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The key quote in the article:
    The gap is expected to widen in future years as new government rules make it easier for universities to recruit students with A-level grades of AAB or better, more of whom are female.

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Lol, there is a girl in the bottom row (third from the right) who looks like she's doing a facepalm. She probably saw the title of the story and this is her reaction.
    Pre-emptive facepalm at the people who moan about how equality is bad but then complain at the fact women are just academically better.

Pining for a Mythical Past
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, May 16th, 2016 @ 02:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, Welsh, Scottish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Nationalism, Pro Brexit
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SaxonCeorl View Post
    I don't know how it's been historically in the British education system, but in America school teachers have always been predominantly female, especially at the younger age groups. Is that not the case over there?
    Seems fairly balanced, and many of the teachers that taught well where women. From my experience in school, which may not be true as a whole, is that boys often played up and would show off. Doing well was a bad thing. I was in the top sets at school for Maths/English/Science which were always predominately female. A majority of males did seem to be less intelligent to, but maybe that was a bit of arrogance of mine showing through.

And what is the proof of less physical education? I don't think it has changed for a long time now.

I think this notion is just completely off. If anything, "sitting still and being neat and organised" was much more a part of the education system in the past than it is today. You won't see modern students get a ruler across the knuckles for squirming around in their chair or losing their homework. I think females might just be more attuned to this kind of environment and have gotten ahead now that we allow women the same opportunities to advance in education.
    Aye, especially in Victorian times. The old style education is very academic. This is the kind conservative types always cry for us to go back to in the UK. I do agree with them to some extent. After primary school I was taught very little about grammar for example.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast