Fascist
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,004 Posts

Hitler's Own Opinion of His 'Mein Kampf' Book

I'm currently reading "Adolf Hitler" by John Toland and thought this was an interesting piece, worthy of sharing ...

Hitler himself had second thoughts about the entire book and admitted to (Hans) Frank that he was no author. "Thoughts run away from me when I write". Mein Kampf, he admitted, was merely a collection of lead articles for the Völkischer Beobachter. "Of one thing I am sure, if I had known in 1924 that I would become Chancellor, I would not have written the book".

I'd have to say that I broadly agree with what he is saying here, although from a historical and political perspective I'm glad that the book is available.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus.
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 08:49 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Albion.
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    'anti-semite'
    Politics
    Republicanism, traditionalism, .
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Hitler and Hess didn't do a good job of editing it. There're some good parts of it, usually the political theory, but the rest of it is, as I've said, one giant run-on sentence.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Hitler and Hess didn't do a good job of editing it. There're some good parts of it, usually the political theory, but the rest of it is, as I've said, one giant run-on sentence.
    One should be careful when judging the writing style of a book that was written in a different language. It is pretty typical for German authors to write lengthier sentences compared to other languages, so it's not necessarily a bad style. Just some days ago, reading in a book with selections of Schopenhauer's works, I came across a one and a half page sentence.
    Personally I find it hard to judge the style of Mein Kampf. I read it in German and I think that leaves a better impression than to read a translation. To be fully able to judge its stylistic quality I should be more familiar with German works from that era. I do think that sometimes it is hard to follow his thoughts, since he jumps from one topic to another, but this is also expectable considering the fact that the book is mostly an autobiography and not an ideological manifest. Furthermore the content is historical and many political events that are discussed are unknown to a present day reader. On the other hand, there were parts of the book in which I easily read about thirty pages in one row and enjoyed reading it, which is pretty much considering the fact that German is my fourth language.

Last Online
    1 Minute Ago @ 09:23 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Fascist
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,004 Posts
    From a literary point of view, MK is certainly no masterpiece but when you consider the conditions in which the book was dictated this is really no great surprise. Bernhard, I've never read it in German because I doubt that I could cope with all that Gothic script but, as you say, the language in which it's written will indeed have a major impact on the style.

However, moving on to the reasons why Hitler should perhaps not have written it, it goes without saying that exposing your plans for such things as 'Lebensraum' is not the wisest move as it gives your enemies a glimpse of your future ambitions. I'm sure that the Nuremberg prosecutors would have had all the evidence they required (which would have spared them the trouble of fabricating it!) because, in Hitler's case, this book would have almost constituted a signed confession in its own right

A lot of the autobiographical stuff is very interesting though and provides an invaluable source of information about the man himself, in his own words. Unfortunately, 1924 is still a bit early in Hitler's career and it's a shame he didn't write another book around a decade or so later, presenting his own take on the events from this era.

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 10:06 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Buskerud Buskerud
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks for the information. Here's an interesting and relevant passage from the memoirs of Alfred Rosenberg:

"Hjalmar Schacht once said that Hitler's book was written in the worst possible German, but neglected to explain why he constantly kept on offering his services to him. This remark touches upon something that, more than anything else, enables the observer to watch Hitler's growth. In his youth he had been deprived of a thorough schooling, and no amount of self-education can possibly make up for that. Besides, his work in Vienna took up practically all of his time, nor did four and one-half years of war among real soldiers tend to improve his style. Hitler wrote and dictated, furthermore, as a speaker, and it was often difficult to untangle his sentences and pour them into a more permanent mould. I still remember how Stolzing-Cerny, the editor of the Folkish Observer, sweated over the galleys of Mein Kampf after Hitler had asked him to proof read. Naturally, certain questionable lines were discovered and corrected, but they simply couldn't be rewritten into entirely new sentences. In the meantime, however, Hitler's language and style improved so remarkably that some of the speeches he later made before cultural rallies were absolutely outstanding examples of German linguistic art."

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 05:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    My impression is also that Mein Kampf is a horribly written book. It's rather turgid and dull, with rambling sentences that run on forever. I haven't read the whole book, nor in the original German - I read some chapters of that English translation with the intro by Abraham Foxman, which seems to be very accurate. I don't know if I'll bother to read the entire thing.

To be fair, the terrible prose is not just Hitler's fault. That was generally the style of journalism in the Weimar Republic era, lots of overly-long sentences and "purple prose". That era was probably the lowest point of German literature, nothing that can compare to Goethe or Schiller.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godwinson View Post
    Bernhard, I've never read it in German because I doubt that I could cope with all that Gothic script
    I must say it is worth trying. Mein Kampf was the first book I read in that script and after some pages of putting some extra effort into it, you get used to it pretty fast. The two books I have in the same script I read after Mein Kampf were almost like reading the regular Latin script.
    And reading Fraktur at night by candle light gives reading an extra archaic dimension worth the effort.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 04:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England England
    reality
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godwinson View Post
    I'm currently reading "Adolf Hitler" by John Toland and thought this was an interesting piece, worthy of sharing ...

Hitler himself had second thoughts about the entire book and admitted to (Hans) Frank that he was no author. "Thoughts run away from me when I write". Mein Kampf, he admitted, was merely a collection of lead articles for the Völkischer Beobachter. "Of one thing I am sure, if I had known in 1924 that I would become Chancellor, I would not have written the book".

I'd have to say that I broadly agree with what he is saying here, although from a historical and political perspective I'm glad that the book is available.
    I dont see any sources for these claims.

MK is a masterpiece of historical observation and ideological formulation. It is also a rivoting read.

I am skocked and dismayed at how shallow some of the comments are on this thread.

Is this because a couple of Germans told you that you cant be NS?

Last Online
    Saturday, February 23rd, 2019 @ 06:46 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Germania Magna View Post
    From what has been written so far there's really no reason too look for "external" reasons, especially if somewhat talking away people's sovereignty in making aesthetic judgements.

From a stylistic point of view I can clearly say I enjoyed reading Spengler, Jünger, Mann or even Rosenberg and Möller van den Bruck (sometimes much) more, so what?

Be a hitlerite or not, one doesn't have to make him outstanding in every single regard.
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

- T. E. Lawrence

Last Online
    1 Minute Ago @ 09:23 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Fascist
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,004 Posts
    I dont see any sources for these claims.

MK is a masterpiece of historical observation and ideological formulation. It is also a rivoting read.

I am skocked and dismayed at how shallow some of the comments are on this thread.

Germania Magna, I have emboldened the words that you have incorrectly typed in your disrespectful message above and I think you should seriously ask yourself ... does someone who has made 4 mistakes in 4 lines of writing really possess the necessary skills to judge the literary value of a book such as Mein Kampf?

I may or may not address the other issues you raise at some later stage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast