Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    318 Posts
    These actions are not something 6'2"(188cm) men could do. Size was everything in this ancient world of close up combat. These men had to be very big to intimidate these people the way they did.

Are there any archaeological finds at all to support this?

Nutrition was not the greatest, how could they grow so tall?

Last Online
    Sunday, July 29th, 2012 @ 04:18 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Subrace
    Homo sapians-sapians
    Country
    United States United States
    Single adult
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Dark Energy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Height

Quote Originally Posted by Hersir View Post
    Are there any archaeological finds at all to support this?

Nutrition was not the greatest, how could they grow so tall?
    I doubt if any archaeological finds of the Rus or the early Goths will ever be found, since they cremated their dead. They did have an adequate supply of red deer for protein and they made cheese out of goats milk for a calcium source.
    I have seen descriptions of the Germanic tribes being very tall from many sources. Julius Caesar described the Swabians as being extremely tall and heavily built. This can be seen on You-Tube, Barbarians against Rome. The Greek historians described the Alans as a tall and muscular people with a fair complexion and blond hair.
    I saw an ancient painting made by the Britons of the Saxons as they came ashore in 500 AD. If the tallest Briton was 6'(182cm) then the Saxons were 6'6"(2 meters). The only description of the Rus is by that Iraqi that said they were as tall as date palms. The closest thing we have to an actual measurement is by the Romans when they said the Goths were a head and a half taller than a Roman. If the Romans were 5'7"(170cm), then that would put the Goths at 6'10"(208cm).
    The height of people today has no relationship at all to the height of people 1500 to 2000 years ago. Like I said in my thread "Peoples", these people reproduced inside a closed biological group. The same switching genes that caused the mutations to blue eyes and pale skin could have played a part in their growth. The researchers who discovered the gene for pale skin said these people were rapidly evolving.
    I have seen these descriptions of being very tall over and over again. Their "actions" also have to be taken into account. How could the Goths have defeated the Roman army at Abrittus and killed the emperor Decius in 251 when they had never been in a battle before? How could the Rus attack Constantinople without being counter-attacked by the eastern Romans?
    In taking all the things into account the only conclusion one can come to is that they were vastly physically superior to the Mediterranian and Slavic peoples. There are too many references to them as being extremely tall by ancient sources to say they were not tall.

Pining for a Mythical Past
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, May 16th, 2016 @ 03:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, Welsh, Scottish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Nationalism, Pro Brexit
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

A date palm height is as accurate a measurement as...well...as long as a piece of string. Some people like to exaggerate to.

And I'm interested in this Briton painting. Any idea how to find it?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Subrace
    Homo sapians-sapians
    Country
    Single adult
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Dark Energy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

painting

Quote Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post

A date palm height is as accurate a measurement as...well...as long as a piece of string. Some people like to exaggerate to.

And I'm interested in this Briton painting. Any idea how to find it?
    A date palm is pretty tall, no question about that. That Iraqi ambassador is the one who made that statement. You have to look at it from his point of view. I would be willing to bet he was around 5'10" or 5'11"(180cm). I am 6'(183cm), I would not even think of calling someone who was 6'5"(195cm) "tall as a date palm". These men are fairly common in the US. He would have to get up around 6'9" or 6'10"(208cm) before I would call him "tall as a date palm". You have to take his statement as true, otherwise many pieces of archeological evidence could be discredited.
    That book with the painting was on the main display table at Barnes and Noble bookstore. I saw it about 15 years ago. It was about ancient Celtic and Norse artifacts. On the cover was an exquisitely carved Thor's hammer. It was made of silver and had about 60 tiny feathers and figures carved into it. I looked through the whole book and the only 2 things I remember was the cover and the painting in the middle of the book, covering 2 pages. The way the Saxons were painted just burned into my memory. Every Saxon was identical. They had short blond hair and a short cropped blond beard with a reddish tinge. Every Saxon was the same height and if the tallest Briton was 6'(183cm), then the Saxons were at least 6" taller(2 meters).
    I have since looked for that book on Amazon.com and E-bay, but did not find it.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Subrace
    Homo sapians-sapians
    Country
    Single adult
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Dark Energy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cniva

I have one piece of info I would like to share on how the Goths were able to defeat the Romans at the battle of Abrittus in 251 AD. They had a brilliant leader by the name of Cniva. He was smart and crafty. His leadership played a major role in the Romans defeat. He was so good that he probably would have been an outstanding battlefield commander in WWII. After that battle, the Romans were well aware of who he was. It is rare to find a leader of his ability. At the battle of Strasbourg in 357, Caesar Julian led an army of about 13,000 against the Allemanni, who numbered around 35,000. Roman discipline and command structure gave them an advantage over the Allemanni. But historians say the biggest reason the Allemanni were defeated was the incompetent and inept leaders they had.

Pining for a Mythical Past
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, May 16th, 2016 @ 03:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, Welsh, Scottish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Nationalism, Pro Brexit
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    From the 10th century through to the 19th, the average height of adult men was 5ft 7in or 170cm - just 2in below today's average.
    From a study on Northern European skeletons. Now if the food and water situation was worse in the Middle East they would be shorter.

The Arab/Middle Eastern nations are usually couple of inches shorter than the average European male in the present day.

A 7ft tall Northern European man is certainly possible, but a large group? Vikings probably where generally on the taller side of the average, as I would imagine it has some physical fighting advantages... but large groups of 7ft tall men is very unlikely.

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 06:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Also of interest is that "Rus" (which originally meant roughly "rowers") became a term for all Swedish Vikings who sailed eastwards. Even today, Swedish people are called "Ruotsi" and "Roosi" by our Finno-Ugric neighbors.

The Arab/Middle Eastern nations are usually couple of inches shorter than the average European male in the present day.
    Middle-Easterners are usually small and runtish compared to Europeans, and especially in Northern Europe the contrast is striking. Even though the Rus were above average in height, the description of them shouldn't be taken literally - no doubt, the shock factor of an Arab who sees Vikings for the first time would've magnified them in his imagination ("as tall as date palms", and so on).

Aka TheDashingRogue GewaltigeAufgabe's Avatar
    Last Online
    Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 @ 05:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Germany/Norway/?
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I too pose the question of how these North men could have arrived at such a great physical stature. As someone stated, the nutrition and eating was not the best it could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Halldorr View Post
    I have watched your posts over the past 6 mo. and virtually every single one has the facts twisted or completely wrong. Most of it is pure BS! I think that was you a few months ago that was trying to say that Gengkis Kahn's Mongols had blond hair and blue eyes. Nothing could be farther from the truth. You either have a very limited knowledge of these ancient peoples or you are deliberately doing this on purpose to confuse the facts presented. It sounds almost like you are a federal agent planted on this site by some US spy agency to disseminate false information. This is a typical tactic they use to try to discredit a site. If you are not a fed, prove it by following the main stream opinion on this site. Right now you have 0 credibility with me.
    Follow the main-stream opinion of this site to prove you are not a fed? You've got to be joking. What interest would a fed have on a peaceful forum like Skadi, in a thread like this Even then, wouldn't an agent try to blend in, and try as hard as possible not to blunder through the site? Wouldn't he avoid making potentially false claims that upset everyone, which further focuses the spotlight on him? Your logic needs re-thinking, friend.

Even then, I do not like the "follow the main-stream opinion" attitude. This attitude has caused critical thinking and objectivity to become extremely rare things in all manners of life. How can we use our minds against our oppressors when we are following their generally-believed falsities? Trying to be like their ghetto minions and hordes of liberals spouting vitriolic equality speeches? No, the greatest tool we have is our brain. And just because something is widely believed here on Skadi, that doesn't make it the truth. We may be intelligent, but we are not all-knowing, and every now and again we have slip ups. This is fine, we learn from mistakes, but the only way we are going to learn is if we question these theories and recognize the mistakes if there are any.

I do agree on the note that people should seriously consider their crackpot theories before posting them (as they could be taken as truth). These threads should stay clean, and full of objective, useful information. And if someone is going to post about important subjects like the origins of our ancestors, or if they refute generally accepted theories, they should conduct themselves properly and explain their reasoning calmly and precisely.

Decent sources and peer reviewed studies are all a conspiracy against whitey? Get real.
    No, decent sources and peer-reviewed studies are not a conspiracy against whites. But, It just so happens that much of American media is against Europeans. And many decent sources in American media simply aren't decent. One cannot honestly call a holocaust "survivor" as a decent source. I am sure we all know what their agenda is. Even so, there is too much political sway, lying and deceit in commonly accepted "history" for it to be of any real historical value. If you want the truth about the world, you will not get it from any major media outlet or even from many western educational institutions.

If you want the truth, you're going to have to go through hell to get it. And even then, the sad reality is that many people simply do not care.

You sound like the weird black nationalists
    No.. he doesn't. He is no Federal agent. He is no Black Nationalist. He has been unclear in many statements in this thread, but what he mentioned above about mainstream media corruption rings true.
    Ich liebe das Vaterland!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12