Translator’s Note:

The terrorism trial of Norwegian revolutionary nationalist Anders Behring Breivik, 33, began in Oslo District Court in Norway on April 16, 2012, and concluded on June 22, 2012, a month earlier than planned.

On the second day of the trial the defendant read a statement to the court setting forth his rationale for the attacks. (See translation of Opening Statement.)

Breivik was accused of “destabilizing or destroying basic functions of society” and “creating serious fear in the population” by bombing a key government building in Oslo and conducting a shooting spree on the island of Utøya at a gathering of the Workers’ Youth League (AUF, Arbeidernes ungdomsfylking), the youth auxiliary of Norway’s Left-wing, anti-white Labor Party. His July 22, 2011 crime, in which a total of 77 people died, has been described as the worst act of terrorism in Norway since World War II. Among Norwegians, the date “July 22″ is like “September 11″ in the US. Literally everyone knows what it means.

Breivik freely admitted committing the offenses, but denied culpability on the grounds that he was acting out of “necessity” (nødrett). The purpose of the trial was to determine whether he will be classified as a criminal or treated as mentally ill. A decision is expected on August 24, 2012. Either way, he will spend the rest of his life in detention.

On the final day of the trial the defendant read his closing statement to the court, a translation of which follows. Recording and broadcasting of both statements was prohibited, so reporters swiftly took manual notes. Parenthetical ellipses indicating missing material—( . . . )—are in the original transcript.

“The compendium” referred to by Breivik is his 1,518-page, Web-published 2083: A European Declaration of Independence (2011), which he released immediately prior to the attacks.

Hyperlinks and annotations within square brackets have been added by me to clarify remarks and supply background information. I have likewise added my own boldfaced subheadings to break up the text and serve as a rough guide to subject matter.

To my knowledge, Breivik’s courtroom statements have not been published by any major media outlet in any European language outside Norway.

I wish to thank a Norwegian reader for providing a transcript and suggesting this translation.

Anders Behring Breivik reentered the Oslo courtroom after the break.

Representatives of the Central Committee of the Worker’s Youth League (AUF), in attendance prior to the break, did not return to hear Breivik’s closing statement.

Some hostile observers who did return, by prearrangement rose and silently exited the courtroom as Breivik took the stand. They did not look in his direction.

“For a long time before beginning, Breivik studied his notes.”
Continues here