View Poll Results: How important is nature to you?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is of utmost importance. Nature is not only enjoyable, but it brings about spiritual experiences for me.

27 64.29%
  • I love nature. I spend time outdoors on a daily basis.

7 16.67%
  • It is important. I enjoy it from time to time.

7 16.67%
  • I am not that interested in nature really...

1 2.38%
  • Nature is scary. I would rather stay inside.

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Important is Nature to You in Your Life?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 03:45 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Canadian
    Ancestry
    Friesland, Norway, Denmark
    Subrace
    Trønder
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Carpenter/ Craftsman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

How Important is Nature to You in Your Life?

I am just curious to hear people's opinions. Most of the folk who live around me spend much time in the outdoors as possible....Myself included. We all come from beautiful countries around the globe.

Please share what you think of nature and what sort of activities you enjoy in the forest, field, and coast....

I spend my time in these places:

Last Online
    Monday, July 30th, 2012 @ 07:17 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Prussia
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Alberta Alberta
    Single adult
    Occupation
    self
    Politics
    Libertarian - conservative
    Religion
    Nature based spirituality
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well, I can't vote as I don't have enough posts, but nature is the root of my spirituality.

Most people do not understand nor have the expedienced true wilderness... I have. What is true wilderness?

My definition means that there is no settlement of any sort with in 160 km (100 miles). No city, no town, no farm and no industrial activity, including oil or mining.

Once you have been out in that environment for some time (I am talking at least a week), you get to understand the interaction of the various plant and animal lifeforms, the weather, and appreciate and wonder the cycles that the sun and moon impact us here on earth.

Then look beyond. Look at the greater solar system, the greater galaxy, the greater universe, and perhaps even beyond that.

Get to feel, inside yourself world around you, by hearing and smelling. Smell the earth, the water. Get close enough to smell bears or ungulates. Not just see them, smell them. Hear the reaction of the birds, the mice or voles, and the squirrels of you being in their territory. Let them settle and feel. In time, you will they will tell you when a bigger animal is in the area... you need to know how to listen.

This is how our ancestors learned their spirituality. We are many generations removed from most of us experiencing it ourselves. Instead, we rely on "holy books" or writings that someone else has produced about ancient practices, but we have not really and truly experienced it ourselves.

I have, and nature means that I know we need it to continue to be a part of the world. Not from books or TV, but from living and being part of it.

Love Conquers All
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I absolutely love spending time outside. It is far too hot for me at the moment, unfortunately. Summer in South Carolina is extremely oppressive and not much can be done outside without serious health risks.

I really love the mountains, the forest, and the beach. I don't really care for the beach during the day though as it gets too hot and bright. I think my favorite thing to do is visit the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina. Appalachia is a very interesting and beautiful place to visit.

I also like camping in Autumn and Winter and I like going foraging for edible mushrooms and plants in the Autumn and spring. Autumn, Winter, and Spring are great for having bonfires! I have also been barefoot hiking quite a bit and as uncomfortable as it is at first, it makes you feel much more in tune with nature and your environment.
    Im Holderstrauch, im Holderstrauch.
    Der blühte schön im Mai,
    Da sang ein kleines Vögelein
    Ein Lied von Lieb und Treu...

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Canadian
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Trønder
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Carpenter/ Craftsman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Most people do not understand nor have the expedienced true wilderness... I have. What is true wilderness?

My definition means that there is no settlement of any sort with in 160 km (100 miles). No city, no town, no farm and no industrial activity, including oil or mining.

Once you have been out in that environment for some time (I am talking at least a week), you get to understand the interaction of the various plant and animal lifeforms, the weather, and appreciate and wonder the cycles that the sun and moon impact us here on earth.
    I have visited Alberta and I love that part of the country. Here in northern Ontario, we have a different landscape. Mixed forests, rolling rocky hills, and endless lakes and rivers. I know that sense of solitude and connection to the natural world when I have undertaken lengthy canoe trips deep into the wild lake areas.

We are lucky to live in such a huge and vibrant land.

Thank you for your excellent post.

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago @ 04:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ancestry
    British Isles, Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    Married
    Politics
    Third Position
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Nature is overrated. Who needs stupid trees and green crap when we have PS3s and Xboxs? Not me! We're better than animals, that's why we destroy stupid weak mother nature..... kidding.

I sure do envy those North American landscapes. I often fantasise about how much I would enjoy retiring near one of those scenic landscapes, away from the city, with a sustainable way of living in the scene, like catching fish everyday to eat etc.

I live in middle class suburbia, but at the end of my street there is a great river, on the other side there is nothing but farmland. I love sitting there on a hill down from the medium traffic road, and being able to look out and see almost pure rural country just 50 metres on the other side. I can here the cows mooing sometimes at night, stark contrast to the sounds of cars driving up the road. I love walking along the river at about 8pm, when there's a full moon and you can see so clearly. Wonderful feeling.

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 07:21 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian/German
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia/Germany
    Country
    Single adult
    Politics
    Right-wing conspirator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I live in the country and love it. I love the mountains, the lakes, streams, trees, etc. My friends tell me I get positively psychotic if I'm in a city too long.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 03:05 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany, Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I swear this thread is a day older than the board says it is, because I remember reading it before I went to bed the other day, and I had the most wonderful dream about seeing the aurora borealis (undoubtedly influenced by your picture).

In fact, most of my dreams involve nature. Obviously because my soul yearns for the adventure and openness that cannot be found while living in a town.

I'm glad you mentioned the spiritual aspect in the poll. A few years ago, I went to a bonfire by a small lake on my friend's rural property. We shared stories as the sun went down and continued late into the night as the stars came up; being surrounded by the sounds and calmness of nature and staring into the fire gave me the best meditative feeling I've ever experienced.

I do not even want to begin to contemplate how dull and meaningless living in a smoggy concrete jungle where man-made steel atrocities block out the sun would be.
    All that is necessary for Evil to triumph is for good Men to do Nothing. ~ Edmund Burke

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Canadian
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Trønder
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Carpenter/ Craftsman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I do not even want to begin to contemplate how dull and meaningless living in a smoggy concrete jungle where man-made steel atrocities block out the sun would be.
    Surprisingly many people do enjoy fast-paced life in a big city. I have spoken to many people who say they love the lights, noise, crowds, and the 'excitement.'

I myself start feeling anxious when I am in a large city for too long.

Last Online
    Saturday, July 21st, 2012 @ 06:19 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Ostpreußen & Hamburg
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid Nordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    East Prussia East Prussia
    Occupation
    Sozialpädagogin B.A.
    Politics
    Das Herz am rechten Fleck
    Religion
    Hoffnung
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nature and time outdoors is crucial to my well-being. You can't live in a large city like Hamburg all the time. You whither like a flower when you don't change your scene at regular intervals. The coast is near and I'd imagine that I leave Hamburg for a cozy house at the North Sea coast when I have more money at my disposal and when I'm more set in life.

Die Wahrheit ist vorhanden für den Weisen, die Schönheit nur für ein fühlendes Herz.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 18th, 2012 @ 04:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic American
    Ancestry
    German, Austrian &Swiss
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Grand + Great Grandparent
    Occupation
    Retired Auto worker-QC
    Politics
    Middle of the Road Conservative
    Religion
    Asatru/ Northern Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Nature is all around us, where we live. It's very spiritual out here. We are buying 13 mostly wooded, very hilly acres, about 5 miles from the nearest small town, about 50 miles from the nearest city. One side of our place is adjacent to a State Forest.
    There is a little wet-weather stream that runs down from the State Forest, across our Place. It's beautiful, out here. We bought it when I retired. It's a good long walk around the perimeter of our Place with several nice spots to stop for a beautiful view. The Spirit of Nature is evident, everywhere.

We have numerous wild critters, out here, white tail deer, raccoons, possums, coyotes and hundreds of wild birds. I put out feeders and keep them full for the wild birds in Winter.The raccoons love to clean out the feeders.
    And, when the snow ocassionally lays heavy on the ground, I put out shelled corn/maize for the deer. We sometimes have close to twenty deer feeding at a time.
    In the summer time, in the mornings, we have blue jays and phoebes that sit on the front edge of the garage roof, look down, and flit down, to catch bugs that sit on the front of the garage, around where the big light on the front shines.
    We have a couple benches, out overlooking our 1 acre pond. It's a quiet, convenient place to sit, meditate and commune with the Spirit of Nature.

We are so glad to live away from the City, even though we'd had a cool, suburban home with a nice secluded yard.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast