Single adult
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Cool Hygiene: Where is the Line?

What does hygiene mean to you, at what point is it too much and becomes an unhealthy rejection of your own body and natural self?

For example, I understand in the USA it is considered basic hygiene for women to remove all their leg and armpit hair, tweeze their eyebrows, and tear out every other stray hair. Somehow, in that culture, having hair is associated with not being clean. For men this is mostly limited to shaving unibrows and neckbeards, though I have known some American men to shave their legs.

In Europe it is heading that direction as well among younger people.

Personally, I think hygiene can include things like plucking random beard/moustache/mole hairs if you're a woman. Facial hair is pretty distracting in a bad way on women imo. I'm not opposed to scaping a severe unibrow either. That's pretty much all I particularly care for though. What are your thoughts? I'm interested to see how this varies from place to place.
    Apfelstrudel mit Vanillesoße, yeah I said it, what are you gonna do?

Anachronism
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts
    I don't think it has anything to do with hygiene, although some will use that excuse to sell razor blades, and others will repeat it to deny the real reason they do it. This real reason is pure vanity, heavily influenced by the pictures of models and actors who are seen as ideal people by the masses.
    Most people think as they are trained to think, and most people make a majority.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 02:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Single adult
    Religion
    Germanic Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I saw a really irritating Nivea shaving cream advert this morning, you know, the little sponsoring ones that they put on just before the show comes on.

Well it has three men, including the obligatory African, in a changing room, shaving. One white man is shaving his chest and they look and laugh at him as if it was something really effeminate to do (Which it is IMO) but I could not help but notice that the other two had no chest hair of their own.

Dunno what the heck we are supposed to make of that?

Are they mocking the feminized male beauty regime whilst at the same time promoting the same look? Mocking him because he has chest hair and has to shave it, unlike these 'naturally hairless' and obviously more macho individuals?

The Persian King Cyrus asked the Lydian King Croesus what he must do in order not to have to fear the Greeks in his kingdom rising up against him. Croesus replied:
    "To make sure of their never rebelling against you, or alarming you more, send and forbid them to keep any weapons of war, command them to wear tunics under their cloaks, and to put laced shoes upon their feet, and make them bring up their sons to lyre-playing, harping, and shop-keeping. So you will soon see them become women instead of men, and there will be no more fear of their revolting against you." Herodotus.

Last Online
    Thursday, October 4th, 2018 @ 05:11 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Alemannisch
    Subrace
    Schwäbisch
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Single adult
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I have a feeling the inventors and promoters of the liberal arts were politicians who read Heroditus.
    Apfelstrudel mit Vanillesoße, yeah I said it, what are you gonna do?

Last Online
    Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 @ 08:55 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Fell of the tree
    Country
    German Fraternity German Fraternity
    Widowed
    Politics
    Antimoslemic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A male wearing no bodyhair except on the head is considered by most people as an gay dolphin.

It´s not a matter hygenie to shave all hair. If these people start to sweat they´ll stink to, if they don´t shower. At least the guys attending the same fitnesscenter like me do that.

I see no reason to remove hair on my legs or my arms or my chest. I´m a grown man - not a child. It´s the same when it comes to women shaving their intimate zones - I prefer women not girls.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    There is something about hygiene. Prisoners and army men get their heads shaven. Hair is a favorite breeding place for bacteria and infections. But if you take care of your body and shower often hair doesn't have to be removed. It's up to you if you want to keep it or shave it off. It's more aesthetics than real hygiene. Dark and thick hair leaves a mental impression of being dirty. Unibrows, same thing, it reminds me of Middle Easterners.

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 06:21 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian/German
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia/Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    Single adult
    Politics
    Right-wing conspirator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Huginn ok Muninn View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with hygiene, although some will use that excuse to sell razor blades, and others will repeat it to deny the real reason they do it. This real reason is pure vanity, heavily influenced by the pictures of models and actors who are seen as ideal people by the masses.
    ^^ This ^^
    At least here in the States, I don't ever hear tof the excessive shaving (in men)( being promoted as hygiene, nor any of the shaving for women (except for the occasional attempted obfuscation of the matter concerning pubic hair). It's for pure vainglory.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiehunter View Post
    A male wearing no bodyhair except on the head is considered by most people as an gay dolphin.
    I wish that were the case here. The all-over shave is the rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiehunter View Post
    I see no reason to remove hair on my legs or my arms or my chest. I´m a grown man - not a child. It´s the same when it comes to women shaving their intimate zones - I prefer women not girls.
    I absolutely refuse to shave anything but my head or beard (if I want to). Nor do I ask women to shave anything. I don't hang out with women with beards or mustaches, so....

Hell, I don't even care if they shave their armpits.

Hygiene isn't about removing any sign of adulthood, it's about being clean and not going around stinking. Hair has nothing to do with it.

Lost in Melancholia
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siđr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    What does hygiene mean to you, at what point is it too much and becomes an unhealthy rejection of your own body and natural self?
    Hygiene, that means the regular washing of the body with natural soap or shower gel to me. Taking a shower or a bath every second day is enough for most time of the year, except on hot summer days or after heavy sweating (subsequently to sports, for example). Too much showering and bathing harms the natural skin flora and skin layer.

I don´t consider applying make-up as a form of hygiene, and I don´t use make-up products anymore.

For example, I understand in the USA it is considered basic hygiene for women to remove all their leg and armpit hair, tweeze their eyebrows, and tear out every other stray hair. Somehow, in that culture, having hair is associated with not being clean.
    We had a lengthy debate about female body hair and imposed shaving trends in following thread (-> http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=132784) and I´m sure you´ll find some interesting answers in it. You can also find my view on the matter in that thread, so I´m not going to repeat it here again. I would only copy myself.
    For men this is mostly limited to shaving unibrows and neckbeards, though I have known some American men to shave their legs.

In Europe it is heading that direction as well among younger people.
    Men who shave their legs appear strange to me, "metrosexual" at best, "gay" at worst. The mainstream trend that both genders need to shave everything everywhere is quite bothersome. Who can profit from it, and why do as good as all media portray that trend as the only acceptable habit?

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last Online
    Sunday, September 15th, 2019 @ 03:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Flandern, Wallonie
    Country
    Belgium Belgium
    State
    Flemish Brabant Flemish Brabant
    Occupation
    Librarian
    Politics
    NS
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I shave my chest with a clipper and shave my armpits, the places where i sweat the most. But its for my own safety, i'm allergic to my own sweat, so the less i produce sweat, the less riscs there is that i can die. I find all those things not manly when you shave them as a man, but in my case i need to do it.

Last Online
    Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 @ 08:55 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Fell of the tree
    Country
    German Fraternity German Fraternity
    Widowed
    Politics
    Antimoslemic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    @olympia: The amount of sweat is reduced with a shaven body? I don´t believe that.

The amount of perspiratory glands will not differ just because the hair is removed.

Hygiene isn't about removing any sign of adulthood, it's about being clean and not going around stinking. Hair has nothing to do with it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast