Politics
    Generally Conservative
    Religion
    Cathar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    I've been through many denominations within the Christian world (both as Catholic and Protestant), as well as exploring various non-Christian faiths and religions. In my personal experience Catholics are Catholics no matter where you go, while Protestants seem to place more emphasis on what church they attend rather than faith itself. (This is a total generalization and gross oversimplification, granted, but there it is.) Aside from the technicalities of Catholic law there's really no 'official' downside in going to this or that church, but among Protestants your choice of church may make or break you in the community.

As for Islam, if you go from Sunni to Shi'a or Sufi, or any combination of moves, you're just wrong and you might as well just go ahead and kill yourself. From my own experience once you hook up with a faction you don't change teams, period. As an apostate from Islam I'm sure there are those in the world who'd love nothing more than for me to be pointed out so I could enjoy the view from having my head put on a stake. Others, thankfully, don't care.

As it stands, I've been said to be a 'religious tourist', just testing the waters here and there. And it's true- I have studied and sometimes hooked up with this or that outfit trying to find where I 'fit'. Sometimes I think I've found it and get that warm fuzzy feeling... and then the old doubts and questions come flooding right back in and it all goes to crap.

I wish I could believe in something with the surety and intensity that some have displayed over the years, but I simply can't suspend the rational, logical side of my brain that throws up those huge red flags when faced with committing 100% to a faith or specific religion. Whatever I'm doing at any given time is because it's what I choose to do, and not because I have that 'fire in the soul' for it. All my adult life I have searched for, and literally begged for, that knowledge and intensity of faith but it remains as elusive as ever.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Goodman John For This Useful Post:

Grand Member
    Last Online
    Thursday, October 31st, 2019 @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,392 Posts
    As it stands, I've been said to be a 'religious tourist', just testing the waters here and there. And it's true- I have studied and sometimes hooked up with this or that outfit trying to find where I 'fit'. Sometimes I think I've found it and get that warm fuzzy feeling... and then the old doubts and questions come flooding right back in and it all goes to crap.

I wish I could believe in something with the surety and intensity that some have displayed over the years, but I simply can't suspend the rational, logical side of my brain that throws up those huge red flags when faced with committing 100% to a faith or specific religion. Whatever I'm doing at any given time is because it's what I choose to do, and not because I have that 'fire in the soul' for it. All my adult life I have searched for, and literally begged for, that knowledge and intensity of faith but it remains as elusive as ever.
    Hahaha!!! You'll probably be a Buddhist this time next month, Johan.

Oh well, it will at least make for another interesting thread

aka Johan the Blind Goodman John's Avatar
    Last Online
    Friday, September 13th, 2019 @ 04:52 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Scotland
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Hospital Administration
    Politics
    Generally Conservative
    Religion
    Cathar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SaxonPagan View Post
    Hahaha!!! You'll probably be a Buddhist this time next month, Johan.

Oh well, it will at least make for another interesting thread
    Attachment 114794
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12