Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Test to Try Out for a First-Timer (Sweden)?

Last Online
    Thursday, February 14th, 2019 @ 09:33 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Which Test to Try Out for a First-Timer (Sweden)?

Hey,

I've been considering trying one of these DNA genealogy tests for a long time. I've heard of several different organizations like 23andme, Family Tree DNA and so on, and I need some help determining which one to go for. My main intent is to see how far back in time my Swedish or Scandinavian ancestry goes, so a company with a good database for the Nordic countries would be great. Budget is maybe 300 USD. Also, it's important to note that I live in Sweden, so a reliable shipping procedure is preferred. Feedback from other people living in the Nordic countries is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Welcome to the forum! I'd recommend 23andme, you can find a lot of info on it here on skadi via search function.

Myself and many others here have taken the test can be helpful with questions regarding to results etc.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hersir View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I'd recommend 23andme, you can find a lot of info on it here on skadi via search function.

Myself and many others here have taken the test can be helpful with questions regarding to results etc.
    Thank you! I've been reading about here every now and then. I see you're Norwegian, did you find out anything about your Nordic ancestry?

This is all I found by searching:

Thanks for the help! I have now a very long txt file, what do I do with it now?

23andme tells me:
    Maternal Haplogroup: J2a1a1b
    Paternal Haplogroup: I2b1
    2,7% of my genes are from the neandertals, more than the 2,6% European average.
    By the way, does 23andme research both mtDNA and YDNA? The reason why I'm asking this is because you apparently found out both your maternal and paternal haplogroups.

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Järnsida
    Thank you! I've been reading about here every now and then. I see you're Norwegian, did you find out anything about your Nordic ancestry?
    Found nothing surprising.

23andMe has family finder also, I found that I have many distant cousins in USA that I was not aware of. 23andme also gives you health information.

This is all I found by searching
    Just search for 23andme, you'll find lots of info.
    Here are some threads:
    http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=140458
    http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=140142
    http://forums.skadi.net/showpost.php...48&postcount=3

By the way, does 23andme research both mtDNA and YDNA?
    Yes.

Took a few screenshots so you can get a peek:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ancestry painting.PNG 
Views:	61 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	110904

Name:	decreased risk.PNG 
Views:	53 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	110905

Name:	elevated risk.PNG 
Views:	49 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	110906

Name:	maternal haplogroup.PNG 
Views:	53 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	110908

Name:	paternal haplogroup.PNG 
Views:	66 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	110909

If you take the test, you can submit data here: http://dodecad.blogspot.no/ (submission closed at the moment)

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes, I've tried the demo account to see what I'll get access to. 23andme seems like a good place to start. Getting information about diseases is only a good thing in my opinion, so you can do what you can to take measures against it if possible.
    Out of the information you receive, do you know any good sites or ways to found out what nationalities (not nation as in state, but as in biological people) your ancestors had? Is there any way to know my ancestors' nationalities e.g. 3000 years ago? Also, I'm dying to find out if I had ancestors in Scandinavia in ancient times From what I've seen, 23andme don't seem very specific in that regard.

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Järnsida View Post
    Is there any way to know my ancestors' nationalities e.g. 3000 years ago? Also, I'm dying to find out if I had ancestors in Scandinavia in ancient times From what I've seen, 23andme don't seem very specific in that regard.
    Like I said, there are sites like decodeme. I agree that 23andme isn't that great in that regard. Maybe other members know about other sites.

You get an calculator and submit your data files for results.

Hammer of Thor is very knowledgeable, I would bet he can help you out.

Last Online
    Sunday, September 8th, 2019 @ 04:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Prussia/Flandern
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Art Director
    Politics
    Right Wing
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes, I've tried the demo account to see what I'll get access to. 23andme seems like a good place to start. Getting information about diseases is only a good thing in my opinion, so you can do what you can to take measures against it if possible.
    Out of the information you receive, do you know any good sites or ways to found out what nationalities (not nation as in state, but as in biological people) your ancestors had? Is there any way to know my ancestors' nationalities e.g. 3000 years ago? Also, I'm dying to find out if I had ancestors in Scandinavia in ancient times From what I've seen, 23andme don't seem very specific in that regard.
    You may check this out as well:
    http://www.eupedia.com/forum/forumdi...ting-companies

A lot of debates of which way to go.
    Välkommen till skadi

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 04:38 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian-Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    My known ancestry is Norwegian
    State
    Nordic Union Nordic Union
    Politics
    Identitarian
    Religion
    Germanic & Indo-European Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hi there. I've taken the 23andMe genetic test, and I'm satisfied with the product. 23andMe is definitely one of the best companies out there if you want a rather broad genetic analysis for ancestry and a number of other traits (including health-factors). deCODEme are also good from what I've heard, but they are more expensive. FamilyTreeDna are popular for haplogroup-results, but you don't get much more than that, really. If I once again was to buy only one genetic test (having my present knowledge about it), I would have chosen 23andMe.

As for your question about the possibility of finding out the nationality of ones ancestors, in a biological (ethnic) sense... 23andMe's genetic interpretation is not very detailed in this area. I'll sum it up:

Haplogroups - maternal (mtDNA) and paternal (Y-DNA). This only shows a tiny part of your total ancestry. A person who is entirely white/European in a racial sense, can have a distant Negroid ancestor who left a genetic print in the Y-DNA-haplogroup many generations ago, with time making its racial impact in your DNA very minimal. Moreover, it doesn't really exist one single haplogroup for each ethnic/national group, but a pattern of haplogroups with some being much more common than others. So you can't say that THIS is the Swedish haplogroup, and THAT is the Italien one. Some haplogroups and haplogroup-variants are more typical in a certain part of Europe, but we still talk about various haplogroups existing at certain frequencies in different populations/ethnicities, and being assimilated as a part of that ethnic groups genetic heritage. The oldest Scandinavian Y-DNA haplogroup is I1 (and some less common variants of I if I remember it right). This haplogroup is derived from old Northern European hunter-gatherers, probably the first people to repopulate Northern Europe when the Ice retreated, and today it's found at a frequency of almost 40% for the entire Scandinavian population... The second most common Y-DNA haplogroups in Scandinavia are R1a and R1b (I belong to the latter, as can be seen in my signature), the former of which came to Scandinavia and brought with them an Indo-European language, probably with the Battle-Axe people (or Stridsøkskulturen). Some researchers actually think R1b also participated in bringing Indo-European language and culture to Western Europe (this theory can be found on Eupedia's section on European genetics), but there exist some controversy around this theory. What is sure, is that both I1 and different variants of R1a and R1b have been a part of the Germanic-speaking tribes from its earliest days, so neither can be classified as an "alien influence" in our gene pool just because Y-DNA I is the oldest influence in Scandinavia.
    As for my own haplogroups: mtDNA H3 is found in many different parts of Europe, from south to north, and is the second most common variation of mother-group H, which is the most common mtDNA haplogroup among native Europeans (the continental frequency is almost 50%). H has been in Europe from the early days of the post-ice age repopulation of the continent, according to experts. H3 is not uncommon in Scandinavia, but you can't really classify it as exclusively being a genetic signature for one ethnic group, as the genetic mutation is too old, and precedes the forming of groups such as Celts or Germanics. My variant of R1b, however (defined by the L21-mutation), was according to what I've read originally present among the early continental Celts (probably spreading from Hallstatt-culture), before it spread to the British isles (among other places) where it is highly distributed among the males today. I simply can't know for sure how early it came to Scandinavia, but it must be a long time ago, since no foreign surnames that I know about is to be found in my family-history. R1b-L21 is not among the variants of R1b that are most characteristic for Germanics (R1b-S21 could be mentioned here), but it is a closely related cousin. Germanic-speaking and Celtic-speaking tribes have had contact for a long time...
    Looking at ones haplogroups is not the best way to get a picture of ones entire ancestry, but when studying which haplotypes are present among whole populations or ethnic groups, you will get a picture of the ancient migrations that formed this particular group, and how they relate to other populations.

Ancestry Painting: this is a bit of a rough, general picture of your overall ancestry from the 3 great races, you could probably say, mainly: European (more precisely Caucasoid), Asian (Mongoloid + amerindian) and African (Negroid). I'm not sure where they would place ancestry from Australian aborigines in this scheme, since they are not really related to neither sub-Saharan Africans or Mongoloid Asians. My results for this was 100% European, anyway.

Global Similarity: This shows your genetic distance to these world-wide reference populations:

Northern Europeans
    Southern Europeans
    Near Easterners
    Central Asians
    Northern Africans
    North Americans
    Siberians
    South Americans
    Eastern Asians
    Oceanians
    Eastern Africans
    Southern Africans
    Central Africans
    Western Africans

My highest similarity is to Northern Europeans, according to this test, and what is to be expected for a Scandinavian, of course. This doesn't say much about your intra-European ancestry, though, as these results tend to be rather similar whether you are Swedish, German, English, Irish or Polish...
    They also have an "advanced view" where you can look at a genetic "map" and see how you cluster with different populations. My "marker" is in Northern Europe on that map. If you zoom in, they also offer a closer view of Northern Europe with different "boxes" such as Norwegian, German, Irish, French... You get some impression of which of these reference-groups you are closest to genetically, but it is a quite limited view. Still interesting of course.

Relative Finder: Basically a list of persons participating on 23andMe who you are related to, more often than not quite distant cousins. You are allowed to ask these individuals if they accept your contact - if they do, you can exchange information about your family-history.

They also have a little function called "Ancestry Finder". This function looks at your relative-matches on 23andMe, if they have used this function and stated in which country their grandparent were born. It then illustrates which countries most of your relatives are from, and what part of your genome you share with these individuals. For myself, Norway is at the top, followed by Sweden, Finland and Denmark.

By the way: I am 2.6% Neanderthal, which is more or less average for a Northern European, according to 23andMe. Yes, they do indeed have a tool trying to calculate your Neanderthal-admixture.

If you want more detailed, deep ancestry results, you should definitely submit your genetic raw data (which can be downloaded from your 23andMe online-account) to these genetic projects:

Eurogenes Genetic Ancestry Project

Dodecad Ancestry Project

This is all very interesting. Some of their analysis-tools can be used if you submit your genetic raw-data to this site:

http://gedmatch.com/

Direct link to the Dodecad and Eurogenes-tools:

http://ww2.gedmatch.com:8006/autosomal/ap_mix1_gen.php

In the projects I mentioned, you will receive admixture-results of varying complexity, and see how you cluster with the other nationalities...
    "Man evolved in cooperating groups united by common cultural and genetic ties, and it is only in such a setting that the individual can feel truly free, and truly protected. Men cannot live happily alone and without values or any sense of identity…" - Alain de Benoist
    Motpol.nu - Alternative Right - Arktos.com
    Click here for a sound-track to my posts.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olavsson View Post
    Thanks a lot for the very elaborate post!

Quote Originally Posted by Salsa View Post
    You may check this out as well:
    http://www.eupedia.com/forum/forumdi...ting-companies
    Välkommen till skadi
    Tackar!

By the way, I found that 23andme give you access to your raw data: https://customercare.23andme.com/ent...rowse-raw-data. I'm wondering if this means you can send this data to other services, meaning you can get more sources and companies to investigate your DNA but not need to pay for another test kit?

I'd also like to add that 23andme's customer service told me that the extra cost (shipping, customs, taxes, VAT, everything) to ship to Sweden is 94 USD, should anyone else wonder.

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    By the way, I found that 23andme give you access to your raw data: https://customercare.23andme.com/ent...rowse-raw-data. I'm wondering if this means you can send this data to other services, meaning you can get more sources and companies to investigate your DNA but not need to pay for another test kit?]
    Yes, you can use different calculators with the raw data.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast