View Poll Results: Who will win Euro 2012?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Poland

0 0%
  • Greece

0 0%
  • Russia

2 4.17%
  • Czech Republic

0 0%
  • Germany

23 47.92%
  • Netherlands

5 10.42%
  • Denmark

2 4.17%
  • Portugal

0 0%
  • Italy

2 4.17%
  • Spain

8 16.67%
  • Croatia

0 0%
  • Ireland

2 4.17%
  • England

3 6.25%
  • France

0 0%
  • Sweden

0 0%
  • Ukraine

1 2.08%
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2012

Last Online
    Saturday, August 4th, 2018 @ 03:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid/Atlantid
    Country
    Dominion of Canada Dominion of Canada
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Traditionalist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Germany () and Portugal () through to face Greece and the Czech Republic, respectively. Germany will have an easier time of the quarter finals than the Portuguese, but it is probably safe to say the semis in that stage of the tournament will be another Germany v. Portugal encounter. Germany's getting the job done, but not as decisively as I thought coming into this. I think Löw should start Klose in place of Gomez, who was out of form today, Schürrle in place of Podolski, and keep Bender on even though Boateng will be available (can't see that one happening, though). Also, I'm sick of this Özil worship; he's been mediocre all three games. Bring Götze on in his place - there's no way a player like that shouldn't be seen. Greece will "park the bus" and play anti-football, which is what Denmark did today, nearly frustrating Germany, so they need a more offensive lineup to break it down.

As for England, start with Rooney and Welbeck against Ukraine, and bring Carroll on if Rooney isn't performing. Otherwise, England's defence is solid and should shut down Shevchenko.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    5 Days Ago @ 08:36 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loyalist View Post
    Germany () and Portugal () through to face Greece and the Czech Republic, respectively. Germany will have an easier time of the quarter finals than the Portuguese, but it is probably safe to say the semis in that stage of the tournament will be another Germany v. Portugal encounter.
    The format of the competition has been changed back from last time to its traditional bracket system (rather than the "two halves of the tournament" that we had four years ago): Germany and Portugal can only meet again in the finals, and to be honest, the Portuguese squad did not convince me enough to think they'll stand a chance of making it that far.

My conservative bets at this stage are that they'll meet with Spain (provided they win Group C, which needs at least a draw against Croatia) in the semi-finals and that we'll see another episode of Germany vs. Spain in the finals; the Spaniards are expected to kick out whoever comes second in Group D, bound to be England or Ukraine.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid/Atlantid
    Country
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Traditionalist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    The format of the competition has been changed back from last time to its traditional bracket system (rather than the "two halves of the tournament" that we had four years ago): Germany and Portugal can only meet again in the finals, and to be honest, the Portuguese squad did not convince me enough to think they'll stand a chance of making it that far.
    Really? I had no idea - I know UEFA screwed around with the goal difference rule when it comes to the group stage, which is rather nonsensical - but I hadn't paid any attention to the new format. Lots of speculation about a Germany v. Portugal semi-final on some of the football fora I post on. If only they knew.

My conservative bets at this stage are that they'll meet with Spain (provided they win Group C, which needs at least a draw against Croatia) in the semi-finals and that we'll see another episode of Germany vs. Spain in the finals; the Spaniards are expected to kick out whoever comes second in Group D, bound to be England or Ukraine.
    Probably, unless England hammers Ukraine and tops the group on goal difference (given that they're equal with France on the head-to-head), which I'm hoping for both the sake of England and Germany. If France finishes second they will have a decent shot at sinking Spain. Croatia tomorrow will be a better indicator of which Spain has shown up at this tournament. If the result is more reflective of their opener against Italy then I really don't think Germany would have a problem with them. And there's no way Germany can exit three straight tournaments at Spanish hands...

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    5 Days Ago @ 08:36 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loyalist View Post
    Probably, unless England hammers Ukraine and tops the group on goal difference (given that they're equal with France on the head-to-head), which I'm hoping for both the sake of England and Germany.
    It depends. If I truly believed England were strong enough to beat Spain, then definitely not what I'd be hoping for, because England topping the group would rob us the chance of having the classic final of Germany vs. England, which would otherwise more likely befall us in the semi-final.

It is an interesting situation for the English team no matter what. They either get a chance to play the reigning title holder in both major competitions to then encounter the Portuguese in a rematch of the 2004 and 2006 quarter-finals en route to set up the most classic finals of all.

Or they get a chance to defeat Croatia should they come second (provided they draw with Spain 2-2 or higher, or 1-1 with Italy beating Ireland by but one goal difference) in a re-match of the painful defeat that ruled them out of the last competition to then play Germany in another semi-final to possibly --- should they progress to that stage --- have the Portugal re-match for the final.

Both routes would be exciting, actually.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Mein Glaube ist die Liebe zu meinem Volk. Juthunge's Avatar
    Last Online
    56 Minutes Ago @ 10:42 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordid-CM
    Religion of the Blood
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    243 Posts
    Moderator's note: Please stay on topic, this thread is dedicated to the sports aspect of the Euro 2012 only.
    The racial and political aspect thereof is certainly important but for the sake of clarity and comprehensibility it warrants a thread on its own.
    And the day they sold us out, Our hearts grew cold
    'Cause we were never asked, No brother, we were told!
    What do they know of Europe, Who only Europe know?

Ancient DNA: List of All Studies analyzing DNA of Ancient Tribes and Ethnicities(post-2010)

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 04:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juthunge View Post
    Moderator's note: Please stay on topic, this thread is dedicated to the sports aspect of the Euro 2012 only.
    The racial and political aspect thereof is certainly important but for the sake of clarity and comprehensibility it warrants a thread on its own.
    In that case it would be possible for you, as is often done, to simply make a new thread and put the posts in question there, no? Instead of completely removing them. That seems a little overboard for a site purporting to hold free speech in such a high regard.

Since the issue is directly related to the topic here it is hardly possible to totally ignore the fact that our national teams are being more and more filled with people who don't belong in the countries they are representing, or in our national teams.

Last Online
    Saturday, July 7th, 2018 @ 07:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    none
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freja_se View Post
    In that case it would be possible for you, as is often done, to simply make a new thread and put the posts in question there, no? Instead of completely removing them. That seems a little overboard for a site purporting to hold free speech in such a high regard.

Since the issue is directly related to the topic here it is hardly possible to totally ignore the fact that our national teams are being more and more filled with people who don't belong in the countries they are representing, or in our national teams.
    I moved the posts which mainly dealt with the ethnic/racial issue into this new thread (I may have overlooked some and some were of mixed content):

http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=150335
    "Euro 2012 - Ethnicity of the players"

Those who just want to discuss the games and the competitive/entertainment aspects can do so here. Those who also want to discuss the racial/ethnic issue can do so in the other thread.

Grand Member
    Last Online
    Thursday, October 31st, 2019 @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,393 Posts
    Those who just want to discuss the games and the competitive/entertainment aspects can do so here.
    And, on this note, could someone please explain to me all the complexities of the qualification criteria?

I'm currently reading that if Spain vs. Croatia ends in a 2-2 draw this evening then both of them go through. In the same group, Italy apparently have to win by a 3-goal margin against the Republic Of Ireland to stand any chance, assuming that the other match does not produce a 2-2 result.

I'm finding all of this a bit confusing TBH and I'm someone who follows football quite avidly, so I'm not sure what the general public will make of it all

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid/Atlantid
    Country
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Traditionalist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godwinson View Post
    And, on this note, could someone please explain to me all the complexities of the qualification criteria?

I'm currently reading that if Spain vs. Croatia ends in a 2-2 draw this evening then both of them go through. In the same group, Italy apparently have to win by a 3-goal margin against the Republic Of Ireland to have a chance (assuming that the other match does not produce a 2-2 result).

I'm finding all of this a bit confusing and I'm someone who follows football quite avidly so I'm not sure what the general public will make of it all
    Instead of deciding on goal difference who goes through if teams are on level points at the end of the group stage, UEFA is using head-to-head results; ie. if Italy and Croatia are tied for second place, the winner of the match when those two played will advance. However, since the Italy/Croatia match ended in a draw, then goal difference is the alternative decider. This group is particularly complicated because Italy and Spain also drew in their match, so it's coming down to a really complicated goal difference battle.

Things were so much simpler (and efficient) before. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Last Online
    Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 @ 09:55 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Fell of the tree
    Country
    German Fraternity German Fraternity
    Widowed
    Politics
    Antimoslemic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    With the Eurocrisis and the problems caused by it the game Germany vs. Greece will be much more than an ordinary soccer game.

In a lot of interviews the normal greek people showed an enormous hate vs. germans ( their money ) and the german team.

The greek team stands no chance vs. the german team so I fear it will be a game ruined by total passivenes on the greek side paired with unnessary fouls. It´ll surely become not a very decent game to see.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast