Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    287 Posts

Anxiety Linked to High IQ

Excessive worry might not be such a bad thing after all — a new small study suggests that such anxiety may have evolved in people along with intelligence.

The results show, among people diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder, high IQ scores were associated with high levels of worry.

In addition, those with anxiety disorder tended to have higher IQ scores than healthy people, as well as higher levels of activity in regions of the brain that aid in communication between parts of the brain. These regions are thought to have contributed to the evolutionary success of humans, the researchers say.

Although we tend to view anxiety as not being good for us, it is linked with intelligence — a highly adaptive trait, said Dr. Jeremy Coplan, study researcher and professor of psychiatry at State University of New York Downstate Medical Center.

High levels of anxiety can be disabling, and patients' worries are often irrational, Coplan said. But "every so often there's a wild-card danger. Then, that excessive worry becomes highly adaptive," Coplan said.

"People who act on the signals of that wild-card danger are likely to preserve their lives and the lives of their offspring," Coplan said.

Because the study was small, more research is needed to confirm the findings.

Anxiety and intelligence

In the study, 26 patients with anxiety disorder and 18 healthy people completed an IQ test, along with a questionnaire to assess their level of worry.

Among the participants with anxiety disorders, the higher their worry level, the greater their IQ score was.

Interestingly, the opposite was seen in healthy patients: those with high IQ scores tended to have low levels of worry, and those with low IQ scores tended to have high levels of worry — a finding that agrees with earlier research.

Not enough worry

Too little worry can be problematic for individuals and society, Coplan said. Some people are "incapable of seeing any danger, even when danger is imminent, he said.

"If these folks are in positions as leaders, they are going to indicate to the general populace that there's no need to worry," Coplan said. In some situations, like the recent real estate bubble, that lack of worry can have societal consequences, he said.

The study was published Feb. 1 in the journal Frontiers in Evolutionary Neuroscience.

Pass it on: In some situations, excessive worrying is advantageous, and the trait may have co-evolved with intelligence.
    Source http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/245...d-high-iq.html

Like nobody else
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 03:50 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Swedish and Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    NS
    Religion
    NS
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Sometimes I wish I was unintelligent, everything would've been so much easier then. I wouldn't be smart enough to understand what's going on in the world today, I wouldn't be intelligent enough to realise we're at war and have been for a very long time. I wouldn't have to worry, I wouldn't have to feel depressed about our situation, I wouldn't have to care. Because I wouldn't know any better.

But in the end, I'm glad I do. I'm glad I know all these things, I'm glad I have a chance to play my part trying to give my people a good future.

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Sometimes I wish I was unintelligent, everything would've been so much easier then. I wouldn't be smart enough to understand what's going on in the world today, I wouldn't be intelligent enough to realise we're at war and have been for a very long time. I wouldn't have to worry, I wouldn't have to feel depressed about our situation, I wouldn't have to care. Because I wouldn't know any better.

But in the end, I'm glad I do. I'm glad I know all these things, I'm glad I have a chance to play my part trying to give my people a good future.
    "To each his sufferings: all are men,

Condemned alike to groan;

The tender for another's pain,

The unfeeling for his own.

Yet ah! why should they know their fate?

Since sorrow never comes too late,

And happiness too swiftly flies.

Thought would destroy their paradise.

No more; where ignorance is bliss,

'Tis folly to be wise
    " -Thomas Gray.

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 02:21 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Austria
    Subrace
    Nordic-Alpine mix I believe
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Student
    Politics
    Radical Traditionalist
    Religion
    Transcendental Naturalism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I can say on an anecdote that this is 100% true of me and many other people, yet not enough. I've had anxiety all my life, and in school, was always labeled 'gifted' or 'highly gifted'. Anyone who actually follows what's going on in the world from a serious perspective is bound to get pretty stressed out, but most people would sacrifice reality for comfort and a false sense of happiness, rather than to actually realize that there is something greater than themselves out there. Above all, the reason why anxiety is linked to high IQ is a consequence of our consumerist, me-me-me society.
    Let truth and falsehood grapple...truth is strong-
    John Milton

Senior Member Sågverksarbetaren's Avatar
    Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 02:18 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    State
    Smaland Smaland
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post

I agree. My friend has a brother with downs syndrome, and he is one of the happiest persons i know. In my darkest hours i almost wish i was born like that, just to get rid of my anxiety.