Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I really can't stress how much I appreciate it when men act like gentlemen and when women act like ladies. It's a topic I am always ready to talk (or in some cases argue) about. Absolutely, we should be taught these things from a young age. It makes me so happy when I see men holding doors or when I'm offered a coat. I can't stand to hear about these women who act ungrateful or upset about these things so I always make a point to smile and say thank you whenever a door is opened for me etc...

Unfortunately, these mannerisms are becoming rarer and rarer. It's really terrible. I'm going to make sure my future children are thoroughly familiar with these types of actions. Of course, girls should also be taught about these things. I'm seeing more and more women and girls act like complete slobs.

It's OK to "be yourself" around people you know really well of course. As long as you aren't making anyone uncomfortable. For example I have a friend who I absolutely adore but she will burp really loudly in front of just about anyone. I always want to wag my finger and tell her that that is not ladylike behavior

Last Online
    Monday, August 6th, 2012 @ 08:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    German/Irish
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Computer CAD/ Civil
    Politics
    Libertarian/Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfriede View Post
    I really can't stress how much I appreciate it when men act like gentlemen and when women act like ladies. It's a topic I am always ready to talk (or in some cases argue) about. Absolutely, we should be taught these things from a young age. It makes me so happy when I see men holding doors or when I'm offered a coat. I can't stand to hear about these women who act ungrateful or upset about these things so I always make a point to smile and say thank you whenever a door is opened for me etc...

Unfortunately, these mannerisms are becoming rarer and rarer. It's really terrible. I'm going to make sure my future children are thoroughly familiar with these types of actions. Of course, girls should also be taught about these things. I'm seeing more and more women and girls act like complete slobs.

It's OK to "be yourself" around people you know really well of course. As long as you aren't making anyone uncomfortable. For example I have a friend who I absolutely adore but she will burp really loudly in front of just about anyone. I always want to wag my finger and tell her that that is not ladylike behavior
    Obviously the flip side of "Being a Gentleman" is "Being a Lady".

But lets face the facts, Cultural Marxism has done a number on the current society, and as a rule they put emphasis on the LOWEST common denominator in behaviour.

In this society it does not pay to be a "Gentleman" or a "Lady" in society because of the other Marxist influenced lowlifes in the culture.

Also it does not stop you from practising such behaviour among the people you know and love. And let the Marxist Lowlifes fend for themselves.

Last Online
    Sunday, August 19th, 2012 @ 04:51 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English, French, German
    Subrace
    W.A.S.P.
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Maryland Maryland
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Baptist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I try and keep these formerly widely accepted male behavioral norms in mind whenever I'm out and about. I try and either let others in before me and open the door, especially for the elderly and women.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/Sabdude/Anglospheresig.jpg
    In hoc signo vinces
    "Get the blacks out of my country." - Queen Elizabeth I

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by renownedwolf View Post
    Ladies do you appreciate gentlemanly behaviour?
    I love men who act like a gentleman and show good manners. The problem is that Iīm too much of a rural woman to know about all the good manners to show them the men in reverse... Some rules I donīt know, some I tend to forget and some I think are overdone.

For example, Iīm quite clumsy and donīt know all rules of etiquette and Knigge. That doesnīt mean that me and my family act like tribal cavemen but I would be hopelessly lost and clueless on a business lunch or gala dinner! Which with fork or spoon on which side of the plate do I eat this or that? Whatīs with the napkin? And why does it matter so much anyway?
    Iīm also accustomed to talking while eating: A table where people donīt talk with each other while eating is unknown to me.

So yes, I appreciate men who respect women (like it was common in our old Germanic societies) and act like real gentlemen but they shouldnīt be so stuck-up and snobbish that itīs no fun anymore. Well, I think a "relaxed" or "lax" gentleman would be my ideal. I couldnīt handle a man with James Bond-like manners, that would be incompatible with my peasant-self. Chances are high that he would get on my nerves with his manners in less than 30 minutes.

(And if you have to burp while sitting on the table then donīt panic and just try to do it softly while holding your hand before your mouth, thatīs enough. We arenīt in Rome but in Germanic woodlands after all, rawr! )

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Eala Freia Fresena
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, July 29th, 2019 @ 12:24 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Friese
    Ancestry
    Friesland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married
    Occupation
    selfemployed
    Politics
    rightwing
    Religion
    none/pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    To be a gentlemen/lady is following middle upper class behaviour.

I gave it up as a learned behavior (though I still do some things habitually).

I do what I feel is the role of a men and what comes natural in regards to your woman.

That gentlemen behavior is nowadays pretty outdated and sometimes I do ot want to make myself into a clown. I also want the respect of other men and that pretty much means I don't do 'weird' things.

For sure it means that I do deal with the shortcomings of my woman in a calm and loving matter and the aim not to be aggressive or demeaning. I certainly have a strong input as what I want to do and in which direction I go into the future and take the input and wishes of m woman into that.

A basic behavior and some societal standards in a woman certainly helps. I understand that women operate differently and accept and deal with it.

It is more of a felt supportive and protective behavior and supplying a steadiness than a fixed code of behavior.

There are actually 64 rules given by Odin between men and women and I consider those to be more important.
    weel nich will dieken dej mot wieken

Last Online
    Saturday, December 29th, 2018 @ 04:55 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ancestry
    Northern European
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Orange Free State Orange Free State
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    teach, research
    Politics
    Radical Traditionalist
    Religion
    Gottgläubig
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    It's the way I was brought up and I the way I have taught my own children. It sits up there with not littering, stealing, etc., and cherishing the family and culture of your forbears.

Thusnelda - I'm with you on good chat and conversation whilst eating (and also the family sitting together at meal times around the table - no tv meals!!!). It's a time to come together and share the day.
    “unless they know, mystically, that beneath the concrete lies the earth which has nourished their race for a thousand years and ... that it is their own earth from which their blood is shed and renewed, then they are a lost people, and easy prey for those who have lacked roots for many centuries"
    A. K. Chesterton

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Utrecht Utrecht
    Family
    Single adult
    Religion
    Germanic Heathendom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by renownedwolf View Post
    She believed that I still had quite 'old fashioned' and ingrained mannerisms regarding this, such as opening doors,
    I think you mean holding the door open.

Which is outdated, today one is expected to slam the door in the face of the person behind you. Oke, that is not really expected. But I do witness that most people no longer take the trouble of holding the door open for people who are close behind and instead just walk straight on.

and walking on the right hand side along the street etc.
    Even if the road is on the left side? Because the purpose of that thing is to protect the female from splashing water caused by passing cars.

I personally believe that being a gentleman is an important thing for boys to be taught from a young age.
    One sees today the effects of no longer enforcing certain common courtesy rules in the young and what effect it has on society at large. Littering, trolling, the popularity of music styles that objectifies women, etc.

Do you? Or is it an outdated concept?
    One could say that certain outer forms of such behavior are outdated, however the basis of it is not.

Men, do you consider yourself a gentleman?
    A perfect one? No.

Quote Originally Posted by KingBritannia View Post
    of course letting ladies go first,
    There are situations where one is not supposed to let ladies go first. In these situations the guy is expected to act as a scout to see if it is a good place for the lady to enter and/or of there is a free place for them. Also you are the first one to climb and decent stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thusnelda View Post
    Which with fork or spoon on which side of the plate do I eat this or that?
    If the spoons, forks and knives are properly ordered there would little problems with that. Since one uses them from with the ones on the outside first.

Whatīs with the napkin?
    You lay it out on your pants.

And why does it matter so much anyway?
    I would have to look that up.

Iīm also accustomed to talking while eating:
    It is forbidden to talk during a meal? And not just no talking with food in your mouth (which also helps preventing food getting into your air pipe)? That is a new one for me. All I heard about that is that certain subjects might be considered taboo on the dinner table. Depending on which area of the world you are.
    The sense of honor is of so fine and delicate a nature that
    it is only to be met with in minds which are naturally noble or
    cultivated by good examples and a refined education.
    - Sir Richard Steele

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GroeneWolf For This Useful Post:

Anachronism "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Well, I was taught all the proper manners and reminded of them constantly as a child so they are pretty much ingrained now. This is the way to raise children in a culture.. just tell them what is expected of them, and repeat as needed. When they turn into teens, it will be a relief to have a grownup around instead of a thug.

This is also something of a test for me.. if a woman appreciates being treated properly and has good manners in her turn, it's a really good sign. If she just walks past without so much as a look when the door is opened for her, I know she's not worth my time.
    Most people think as they are trained to think, and most people make a majority.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Huginn ok Muninn For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Saturday, December 29th, 2018 @ 04:55 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ancestry
    Northern European
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Orange Free State Orange Free State
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    teach, research
    Politics
    Radical Traditionalist
    Religion
    Gottgläubig
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocko View Post
    To be a gentlemen/lady is following middle upper class behaviour.
    That gentlemen behavior is nowadays pretty outdated and sometimes I do ot want to make myself into a clown. I also want the respect of other men and that pretty much means I don't do 'weird' things.
    Sure, but in the working class background I come from it is nothing to do with 'class', rather it has to do with respect and, yes, what are considered 'old fashioned values' - which I see nothing wrong with. It was certainly something that I saw and experienced in a working class culture again and again - it is only a sad reflection of our degenerating times that such acts are considered less the norm.

For my part I make sure I do the gentlemanly thing because it is the right thing to do for me and in order to set an example to others - like giving up my seat on the bus/train for an elderly person or pregnant woman, parent with small child, etc. If other men don't think I deserve their respect for acting like a gentleman then they don't deserve my respect!
    Last edited by Thorbrand; Thursday, April 12th, 2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spelling
    “unless they know, mystically, that beneath the concrete lies the earth which has nourished their race for a thousand years and ... that it is their own earth from which their blood is shed and renewed, then they are a lost people, and easy prey for those who have lacked roots for many centuries"
    A. K. Chesterton

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GroeneWolf View Post
    If the spoons, forks and knives are properly ordered there would little problems with that. Since one uses them from with the ones on the outside first.
    But how should I know that they are used from the outside to the inside? Well, I doubt that Iīll ever have a business lunch and gala dinner, anyway. I prefer laid-back restaurants or typical Bavarian Wirtshäuser.

You lay it out on your pants.
    I always thought they are there to clean your mouth or hands.
    It is forbidden to talk during a meal? And not just no talking with food in your mouth (which also helps preventing food getting into your air pipe)?
    Well, I guess I canīt fully preclude the possibility that I talk some words with a few bits in the mouth but itīs not a general thing and it depends on the meal and the people around. If something is really tasty I canīt wait with my feedback until I swallowed it down. I guess itīs a matter of upbringing and I donīt think itīs icky when someone has to speak some words while eating. As long as the mouth isnīt completely full, as long as everything is understandable and as long as one doesnīt disgorge everything while trying to talk...

You people make me feel like a backwood barbarian now. Thatīs mean.

Wanna have a seat in our dining room?

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson