State
    New South Wales New South Wales
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Runic Tattoo

*If you don't like tattoos please do not comment about it please*

Hello everyone, I am just curious to know, what are some good Runic tattoo ideas?
    I would like to get a runic tattoo down my forearm but I am not sure what to get? I was thinking of the Wolfshook but I am also thinking of getting my last name aswell.. I don't know. Any help? a motto ?
    Cheers

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 11th, 2012 @ 03:31 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Married parent
    Occupation
    healthcare
    Politics
    middle of the road, rational
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

tatoo

It depends on what you want to bring into your life and/or what you are trying to surround yourself with. Just be careful. The runes when applied will not only affect the physical aspect of your life but will have more a toll on your astral and subconscious.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 07:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-German
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    New South Wales New South Wales
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ansuz crowning View Post
    It depends on what you want to bring into your life and/or what you are trying to surround yourself with. Just be careful. The runes when applied will not only affect the physical aspect of your life but will have more a toll on your astral and subconscious.
    Thank you, I understand that alot. I love Tyr, and I love my Family. I am thinking of getting Tyrs runic symbol and inside that have "Family" in runes.

The Power belongs to those who Dare
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 05:48 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germanic
    Country
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Germanic Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have a wolfs hook on my left arm, raven foot prints on my shoulders and other tattoos. Get what affects you personally. Never get a runic tattoo without a reason that moves you.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 04:52 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Vest-Agder Vest-Agder
    In a steady relationship
    Politics
    Nationalist, yet hater of none
    Religion
    Love for Åsatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would stay clear of a wolfshook, seeing as it is not a proper rune. It is one of the so-called "armanen runes"
    Please don't confuse the terms "nordid" and "nordic".

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 9th, 2012 @ 02:36 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    unknown
    Ancestry
    unknown
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    State
    California California
    Married
    Occupation
    Actor/Blue-Collar worker
    Politics
    none
    Religion
    Sudo-Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question On another Note.

so instead of starting a new post i figured that i would ask here.
    now i would prefer the answer to come from someone who studies (professionally) the elder futhark but basically i'm looking at getting a tattoo with the symbols: ansuz, isa, eihwaz, algiz, teiwaz, and ehwaz. i'm using it for the meanings of the rune not the romanized translation. the tattoo is supposed to end up being a protection ward however i don't know if the order matters in such a thing. if it does how and if someone would be so kind as to tell me what order it is supposed to be in it would be much appreciated. (i have googled the elder futhark etymology and come up with diddly in that area)

thank you again for any assistence that anyone can render.

UH.

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 06:21 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian/German
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia/Germany
    Country
    Single adult
    Politics
    Right-wing conspirator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd first suggest that you take each one and meditate on it. Meditate on the order, to find what feels right to you.

You might also want to look up bindrunes, and make them into a bindrune. There, the final design is more about what speaks to you, and there is no hard and fast way to do it.

Or, if you just want a protection ward, you could have the aegishjalmur stav tattooed over your heart in red.

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 15th, 2012 @ 06:31 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ansuz crowning View Post
    I was wondering if the runes really bare a power, it's intriguing I was reading about the Valnott or death knot as its known to some. On the website the description said "the triple triangle shown below, is one of Odin's symbols. Odin's followers have a tendancy to die violently, so wear this symbol at your own risk! I do not recommend this symbol as a tattoo and include it here primarily as a warning."

What do you all think about that?

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 06:21 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian/German
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia/Germany
    Country
    Single adult
    Politics
    Right-wing conspirator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWkid View Post
    I was wondering if the runes really bare a power, it's intriguing I was reading about the Valnott or death knot as its known to some. On the website the description said "the triple triangle shown below, is one of Odin's symbols. Odin's followers have a tendancy to die violently, so wear this symbol at your own risk! I do not recommend this symbol as a tattoo and include it here primarily as a warning."

What do you all think about that?

Valknut = death knot
    Val = death
    Knut = knot

Regarding wearers of the Valknut being prone to violent death, you must understand the times and culture being spoken of. The valknut was mostly worn by those dedicated to Odin, and most often by the berserkr -- men given to fits of rage in battle where anything less than an instantly fatal blow could not stop them, and they would go so far as to not be able to tell friend from foe, and cut down everyone they saw. They would often be used by Jarls as their corps of shock troops -- sent into the teeth of the enemy to break formations and kill as many as they could. So yes, they tended toward violent deaths.

These days, the Valknut is a symbol for those dedicated to Odin. Not every one of them will be (or has to be) a berserkr, nor does it mean they will die a violent death (though they may seek out dangerous professions in order to be battle-slain and go to Valhalla as an Einherjar).

I'm rather partial to the style of valknut surrounded by the futhark. For me, the three triangles represent the three "frenzies" given by Odin -- the berserkrgang (battle frenzy), the altered state of the inspired poet and the altered state of the shaman or world-wanderer. The nine points are the nine worlds which Odin walks at will, and his shamanic wanderers can follow. The furthark or course representing the runes that Odin sacrificed himself for on Yggdrasil.

Runes, in and of themselves have no power. They are "charged" by the creator of the rune (often with their blood) and are used as a focus for the will. We discussed this is another thread where we talked about using all of the brain, not just the logic center. The right side of the brain is more effective in encountering and conversing with the gods and wights, and Otherworld travels, the left brain tends to override and block this.

So you give the left brain something concrete to deal with (runes, ritual tools, etc) to essentially occupy it while the right brain is allowed to work. You'll often hear long-time practitioners say that you really don't need such tools beyond a certain level, which is true, once you are able to control your mind such that the logic doesn't override the imaginative side, you no longer need a physical focus.

Along these lines, let's look at the aegishjalmur above:

In The Saga of the Volsungs, where the aegishjalmur is directly mentioned. Fafnir tells that he protected himself and his treasure with the aegishjalmur "sending poison in every direction" (which could literally be poison, or a magical reference to curses or another offensive guard). Sigurd replies, or warns, that few men are able to truly wield and protect themselves with the aegishjalmur, suggesting that it requires great skill and power to be able to wield its true power, and that the power of the aegishjalmur may also only be as strong as the magician is able to handle it's power....a stronger man may be able to breach that barrier.

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 01:03 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If you have to consult people on a forum about a tattoo, it is probably a bad idea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast