English
    Country
    England England
    reality
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I eat mainly traditional English cooking with some Scottish, Scandinavian and German influences. My first breakfast comprises cups of traditional English breakfast tea and a pipe of traditional English early morning tobacco mixture. Thats followed by second breakfast, which is the proper English 'full monty'; sausages, bacon, poached egg, baked beans, meat balls, potato pieces, mushrooms and chopped tomato all served on toasted bread and with another cup of breakfast tea. Thats followed by a pipe of traditional noon tobacco mixture and more breakfast tea, followed by various traditional teas and pipes of a traditional afternoon mixture throughout the day. Dinner is usually a soup and then a main course of meat, either chicken, beef, lamb or pork with potatoes and vegetables in various traditional dinners. I try to have as many different vegetables as possible in the vegetable dish, so we have two freezers and I stuff three drawers with frozen vegetables from the supermarket; with each evening meal I will have peas, green beans, sweet corn, broad beans, baby brussel sprouts, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, baby spinach, baby carrots, onions, mushrooms, red and yellow sweet peppers, courgette, aubergine and asparagus all in small amounts and seasoned. Pudding is usually custard, fruit and crumble based. More tea and pipes. Supper is usually fish, either cod, haddock or salmon, smoked or battered, with a small amount of potatoes with butter and chopped tomato and onions. After that its traditional nightcap pipes, lager, port wine, more tea and possibly some soup. My weight and my health are good.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, April 14th, 2012 @ 09:59 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norman
    Ancestry
    Huguenot
    Subrace
    N/A
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Massachusetts Massachusetts
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Spartacus
    Politics
    Warlord
    Religion
    CI/DI & Absolute Totemism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Germania Magna View Post
    I eat mainly traditional English cooking with some Scottish, Scandinavian and German influences. My first breakfast comprises cups of traditional English breakfast tea and a pipe of traditional English early morning tobacco mixture. Thats followed by second breakfast, which is the proper English 'full monty'; sausages, bacon, poached egg, baked beans, meat balls, potato pieces, mushrooms and chopped tomato all served on toasted bread and with another cup of breakfast tea. Thats followed by a pipe of traditional noon tobacco mixture and more breakfast tea, followed by various traditional teas and pipes of a traditional afternoon mixture throughout the day. Dinner is usually a soup and then a main course of meat, either chicken, beef, lamb or pork with potatoes and vegetables in various traditional dinners. I try to have as many different vegetables as possible in the vegetable dish, so we have two freezers and I stuff three drawers with frozen vegetables from the supermarket; with each evening meal I will have peas, green beans, sweet corn, broad beans, baby brussel sprouts, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, baby spinach, baby carrots, onions, mushrooms, red and yellow sweet peppers, courgette, aubergine and asparagus all in small amounts and seasoned. Pudding is usually custard, fruit and crumble based. More tea and pipes. Supper is usually fish, either cod, haddock or salmon, smoked or battered, with a small amount of potatoes with butter and chopped tomato and onions. After that its traditional nightcap pipes, lager, port wine, more tea and possibly some soup. My weight and my health are good.

Now that is Old School. I feel like I just read that from a good novel.

Whats interesting is how the English menu resembles that of Sweden. There were really no mixed or "made" food that required alot of ingredients (like cake). London Broil, Fish & Chips, ect... very solid meals, but there was variety in the table.

Everything was baked or grilled and kept how they got it from the field. Of course there are a few exceptions (Shepperds pie - my fav).

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago @ 08:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    556 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvergr View Post
    I got to thinking that a truly Germanic diet would consist of only consuming plants which originate in the traditional Germanic areas.
    Why? Even the original Germanics themselves didn't originate in the 'traditional Germanic areas'.

I can agree that adopting diets that involves extremely alien recipes and ingredients should be avoided, either to preserve the essence of our own culture or to avoid of foods that are detrimental to our health. But commonplace food sources like to ones mentioned in the list of the OP, surely poses no threat in either of these regards.
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

Last Online
    Saturday, July 20th, 2019 @ 03:51 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Country
    Family
    Single adult
    Religion
    Nature
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrioten View Post
    The potato saved alot of northern Swedes (as well as other Swedes I imagine, as it was the crop of the poor) from starvation due to the ease of cultivation and its tolerance for varying types of soils, where crops such as wheat wouldn't grow.
    How do you starve when every forest and field is abundant with wild edibles ? That's the point of the traditional Germanic diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Žoreišar View Post
    Why? Even the original Germanics themselves didn't originate in the 'traditional Germanic areas'.
    Sure, if you think humans are only 10,000 years old and we all came from Africa I guess they didn't. Anyhow, prior to farming they were eating a wide variety of non-foreign reliance foods.
    Til įrs ok frišar

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 02:47 PM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Ancestry
    Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Unemployed
    Politics
    Nationalist, conservative
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    How do you starve when every forest and field is abundant with wild edibles ? That's the point of the traditional Germanic diet.
    You starve because there are considerably more people around now then there were when Germanics were hunter-gatherers. We do not know with certainty why our forefathers abandoned this way of life in favour of agriculture, but a good bet could be that they needed the much larger amounts of food available from agriculture to feed a growing population with food from stable sources.

If we all abandoned agriculture tomorrow and returned to living of the forests and the fields we would quickly deplete them of resources and quite possibly damage them for a long while as well. And a lot of people would starve because they would not have the skills to find these wild edibles, especially when they become very scarce after a few months.

I am not saying that agriculture or a diet based on agricultural products is perfect and I have been toying with paleo-ish recipes every now and then, but the way our world is now it simply will not work on a large scale.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Country
    Family
    Single adult
    Religion
    Nature
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sindig_og_stoisk View Post
    You starve because there are considerably more people around now then there were when Germanics were hunter-gatherers. We do not know with certainty why our forefathers abandoned this way of life in favour of agriculture, but a good bet could be that they needed the much larger amounts of food available from agriculture to feed a growing population with food from stable sources.

If we all abandoned agriculture tomorrow and returned to living of the forests and the fields we would quickly deplete them of resources and quite possibly damage them for a long while as well. And a lot of people would starve because they would not have the skills to find these wild edibles, especially when they become very scarce after a few months.

I am not saying that agriculture or a diet based on agricultural products is perfect and I have been toying with paleo-ish recipes every now and then, but the way our world is now it simply will not work on a large scale.
    When you eat foods with less nutrition you need more frequently. The potato saved people from feeling hungry, it didn't save them from much else. If you live on Potatoes and Bread you will just die a slowly deteriorating life. If you view ancient diets (see Weston Price's work) which involved local plant life, you will see they lived very healthy long lives because they had a varied diet. Anyone will tell you that you need a wide variety to survive healthy.

If we abandoned agriculture the fields would then turn into natural permaculture / food forests. Half the shit earth produces on farms is wheat, potatoes and corn. If those fields grew over and you ate what was available on them you would for one stop gambling with droughts, because ecosystems naturally control themselves to support life. safety in numbers, not by division (vegetable row farming). A lot of people would starve because they would not know what to eat but you know what, if a CME C-class flare directly hits us tomorrow or some other type of EMP, when the power goes out for good a ridiculous amount of people are going to starve anyhow. Or maybe another asteroid over Siberia this time will hit NYC or worse, the ocean. Or maybe a major volcano will erupt and put the earth under darkness for years, mini Ice Age, you name it. The population is eventually going to be naturally controlled. Sure it wont work, but eventually if we aimed towards that method and taught enough people we might be able to transition into a healthier and more sustainable / population controlling / eco-friendly way of living, the way of the ancients. Are indigenous people in New Guinea or Peru out of control populations, starving with deteriorating eco-systems ? No, because they didn't adopt foreign vegetables to grow in pretty little rows.

Agriculture was the beginning of controlling the population and at the same time un-sustainably expanding it. That is not the traditional Germanic diet I see, whether I follow it closely or not.
    Til įrs ok frišar

Last Online
    Friday, June 15th, 2012 @ 06:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ethnic Nationalism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I tend to prefer a simple Paleo diet without any of those fattening grains, and it's a perfect diet for those who exercise and want to get into shape. However, I agree that a modern-sized population cannot sustain itself on solely hunter-gatherer food sources. We are beyond that evolutionary stage.

When you eat foods with less nutrition you need more frequently. The potato saved people from feeling hungry, it didn't save them from much else.
    Well, it did save many peasants from starving to death. It was an easy food source for a large agricultural population that didn't have many opportunities to hunt and gather. To use the example of the Irish potato famine - it wasn't so much that they didn't know what to eat after their potatoes were gone, but that many of them didn't have anything else to eat. The idea that a peasantry can easily become hunter-gatherers and adequately feed themselves, in a depleted environment that doesn't support that lifestyle for large groups, is rather naive.

Agriculture was the beginning of controlling the population and at the same time un-sustainably expanding it.
    Well, it was agriculture that made the population growth and eventual rise of large civilizations sustainable in the first place. Otherwise, I agree that the large-scale use of agriculture and losing the organic connection with natural living was the first step towards modern society, urbanization, and the domestication of humans. This was, however, an inevitable step in the growth of human civilization.

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 06:21 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian/German
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia/Germany
    Country
    Single adult
    Politics
    Right-wing conspirator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We simply cannot go on as a population without agriculture. Sorry, unless a massive number of people die off, hunting/gathering is not going to cut it.

HOWEVER, that does not mean you can't live a healthy lifestyle.
    I know city dwellers that have gardens in 5 gal buckets of soil. If you have a yard, grow a garden. The further north you live, the more land you need to produce enough to be self-sustaining. Southern climes can get 2-3 harvests a year, rather than one.

That's one way to eat better.

Another is to buy "organic foods" (a misnomer if there ever was one). Foods not injected with steroids, brines, pesticides, etc are better for you. They cost more, but you don't need to eat as much.

Now, if you want a "traditional Germanic diet" and will pay for the foods at the store, great. However a lot of the "forest foods" won't be found in a store.

Rather, I'd advocate learning to eat the foods that grow wild in your area. Learn the wild edibles, learn their nutritional and medicinal uses. Base your garden on them. While most people worry about having perfect grass for a lawn, my "lawn" is various weeds -- edible ones, like dandelion, etc. First, they grow naturally, so I don't have to use soil additives. To keep them growing, I just keep unwanted plants (like GRASS) from choking them out. Second, they feel better on your feet than grass. Third, they are pretty maintenance free -- you don't mow your food down, you just harvest when it's ready.

I transplanted wild blackberry bushes to my yard (I live in a very rural area, BTW). So not only do I have berries that just grow because they are used to the soil here, I planted them around the perimeter just inside the hedges. So, if someone wants to jump the hedges into my yard, they land in nature's razor wire.

So it may be well worth your while to learn your local wild edibles and cultivate them, than try to maintain what may be a foreign ecosystem to your area. If you live in Germany, then cultivating a German wild diet is easy. If you live in Arizona, not so much.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Country
    Family
    Single adult
    Religion
    Nature
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfadur View Post
    Well, it did save many peasants from starving to death. It was an easy food source for a large agricultural population that didn't have many opportunities to hunt and gather. To use the example of the Irish potato famine - it wasn't so much that they didn't know what to eat after their potatoes were gone, but that many of them didn't have anything else to eat.
    My argument is simply that the reason this happened is because they destroyed all the vast amounts of nutrient rich local plants, trees, mushrooms, etc. and replaced them with just potatoes.

The US is 3.79 million square miles. To be generous I'll remove Alaska and Nevada (even though people traditionally lived there) and say only 3,016,000 million square miles has widely obtainable food. To take it even further to avoid complaints of various landscapes in other states, I'll cut it to 2.5 millions square miles. 640 acres are in a square mile, that's 1.6 billion square acres of forage-able land. The US population is 314 million. That's appx. 5.10 acres of forageable land per person. If you include the nutritional benefits of foraging and remember that a ridiculous amount of farm food is wasted each year do to storage problems and just general tossing out of food in super markets and such, I think it could work.
    Til įrs ok frišar

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 02:47 PM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Ancestry
    Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Unemployed
    Politics
    Nationalist, conservative
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    When you eat foods with less nutrition you need more frequently. The potato saved people from feeling hungry, it didn't save them from much else. If you live on Potatoes and Bread you will just die a slowly deteriorating life. If you view ancient diets (see Weston Price's work) which involved local plant life, you will see they lived very healthy long lives because they had a varied diet. Anyone will tell you that you need a wide variety to survive healthy.
    If you live on potatoes and bread EXCLUSIVELY then yes, that would not work, yet a lot of paupers have historically got through life on just that. They were not healthy, but they survived.
    A lot of people use terms like a 'balanced diet', 'varied diet' and so forth but does anyone really have a definition of what this actually means? I haven't come across a useful, scientific definition. And don't get me started on Weston Price, who did not by any means prove that the supposed superiority of indigenous people were caused by a 'varied' diet.

If we abandoned agriculture the fields would then turn into natural permaculture / food forests. Half the shit earth produces on farms is wheat, potatoes and corn. If those fields grew over and you ate what was available on them you would for one stop gambling with droughts, because ecosystems naturally control themselves to support life. safety in numbers, not by division (vegetable row farming). A lot of people would starve because they would not know what to eat but you know what, if a CME C-class flare directly hits us tomorrow or some other type of EMP, when the power goes out for good a ridiculous amount of people are going to starve anyhow. Or maybe another asteroid over Siberia this time will hit NYC or worse, the ocean. Or maybe a major volcano will erupt and put the earth under darkness for years, mini Ice Age, you name it. The population is eventually going to be naturally controlled. Sure it wont work, but eventually if we aimed towards that method and taught enough people we might be able to transition into a healthier and more sustainable / population controlling / eco-friendly way of living, the way of the ancients. Are indigenous people in New Guinea or Peru out of control populations, starving with deteriorating eco-systems ? No, because they didn't adopt foreign vegetables to grow in pretty little rows.

One does not 'gamble with drought' given the advanced use of irrigation available today and the global market for food. When was the last time that someone starved because the crops had failed anywhere in the West?

I really don't know what to do with your extensive list of plots for Roland Emmerich movies.

'Indigenous people' might not have some of the diseases of affluence found in industrialised countries, but they also lack the basic material comforts of life that we take for granted. They also live in very basic tribal communities, completely devoid of any concepts of nation states or sophisticated culture. Is this the perfect life that we should strive to emulate? And what prevents these marvellous peoples from having population going 'out of control'? Certainly not contraceptives or abstinence. What method can keep population levels down in these societies? Infanticide? A heavy price to pay!
    Agriculture was the beginning of controlling the population and at the same time un-sustainably expanding it. That is not the traditional Germanic diet I see, whether I follow it closely or not.
    So we should let an utterly random, intangible and perhaps even unquantifiable entity like 'Mother Nature' decide the population level of Germanic lands? Can't we do this better ourselves?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast