Elvish monarch
    Religion
    Norse Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Circuses Will Be Banned from Keeping Wild Animals

Circuses will be banned from keeping wild animals within two years.
    Ministers will today announce the U-turn after coming under intense pressure from MPs and celebrities to implement the crackdown.
    The Department for the Environment will confirm plans to introduce a law within this Parliament.
    Last year, MPs inflicted a humiliating defeat on the Government by backing a backbench motion by Tory MP Mark Pritchard, which called for a ban.
    Until this is introduced, ministers will bring in a tough licensing regime for the few circus owners still using wild animals.
    An estimated 150 to 200 animals are currently held in circuses, 37 of which are wild. They include zebras, lions, tigers, camels, a kangaroo and crocodiles.
    Sir Paul McCartney, comedian Ricky Gervais and actor Brian Blessed are among the celebrities who have called for a ban, which 94 per cent of the public supports.
    The Daily Mail has been at the forefront of the campaign after highlighting the plight of Anne, Britain’s last circus elephant.
    Former owners Moira and Bobby Roberts have been charged with causing Anne suffering by failing to prevent her groom beating her.
    The 59-year-old elephant now lives at Longleat safari park in Wiltshire thanks to our readers, who donated £340,000 for her care.
    The prosecution is believed to be the first of a circus owner for animal cruelty under the Animal Welfare Act 2006.
    An estimated 150-200 animals are currently held in cricus, and an estimated 37 of these are wild animals. These include zebras, lions, snakes, tigers, camels, a kangaroo and crocodiles.
    Sir Paul McCartney, Comedian Ricky Gervais and actor Brian Blessed are among the celebrities who have called on the Government to bring in a ban.
    Surveys show that 94 per cent of the public also support a ban.
    Animal campaigners say that circus animals are subjected to regular transportation, cramped and bare temporary housing, forced training, loud noises and large crowds of people.
    Mr Pritchard caused a storm last year by claiming that he had been bullied by Downing Street into dropping his Commons motion calling for a ban. He told MPs that No10 had offered him a job if he fell into line.
    The Tory MP welcomed the news but said: 'I will not believe it until I see it. I suspect the Government will try and extend the licensing regime which will give a green light to a new generation of wild animals in circumstances.'
    Prime Minister David Cameron has previously signalled his support for the crackdown by acknowledging that it was 'not right' to still have lions and tigers performing in the big top.
    A Defra spokesman said: 'We always said we were minded to ban wild animals performing in travelling circus, the only issue being that we have to be sure that it cannot be overturned legally.
    'Therefore in the meantime we are proposing a tough new licensing regime which can be introduced quickly, to ensure high welfare standards.'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...crackdown.html

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 02:03 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Excellent news! Thank you for posting this!

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    312 Posts
    Good, long overdue. Circus animals have been put through so much cruelty to fill our need for entertaiment. I have a positive memory from the circus when I was a kid, I was allowed to ride a camel. But I could in no way know how badly the animals were treated, and adults just view it as entertainment.

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 01:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Another pathetic political/celebrity stunt.

"Hey...our country's economy is in shambles and crime is rampant, but in good news...we have set free Bob the boa constrictor from the circus. I hope you'll reelect me and/or buy a ticket to my show"

It's not like they couldn't just wait a few years for the circuses to go bankrupt and die a natural death what with kids now having TV, ipads, and all sorts of other things to do instead of go to the circus.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 02:03 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfTheVistula View Post

"Hey...our country's economy is in shambles and crime is rampant, but in good news...we have set free Bob the boa constrictor from the circus. I hope you'll reelect me and/or buy a ticket to my show"

It's not like they couldn't just wait a few years for the circuses to go bankrupt and die a natural death what with kids now having TV, ipads, and all sorts of other things to do instead of go to the circus.
    No one wants circuses to go bankrupt, simply to evolve - modern circuses do not use animals. This has been set to happen for a long time.

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    312 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfTheVistula View Post

A lot can be judged from how we treat animals

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    901 Posts
    If human attention whores feel inclined to put themselves on display by performing 'tricks' for other humans, let them. The Cirque du Soleil is a prime example of humans entertaining other humans without abusing animals in the process.

http://www.cirquetribune.com/wiki/in...rque_du_Soleil

Additionally, I think the 'infernal' combustion engine was indeed one of the greatest inventions ever developed, because it took the horse off of battlefields. If men choose to maim and kill one another in the state of madness that is war, let them.

Frankly, since American football only teases the barely restrained blood-lust of those who spend so much time and money sensationalizing it, gladiatorial combat solely between humans should be revived. There is no doubt in my mind this 'spectator sport' would provide the ultimate titillation for Joe Sixpack and kin. They could enjoy watching limbs being severed, and screaming participants being disemboweled while shoving junk food down their fat necks... And the Jewish sponsors would be laughing all the way to the bank.

Whatever humans choose to do, let them do it only to themselves or other humans. Let other living creatures live the normal lives the Good Lord prescribed for them.

Last Online
    Saturday, December 29th, 2018 @ 04:55 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ancestry
    Northern European
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Orange Free State Orange Free State
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    teach, research
    Politics
    Radical Traditionalist
    Religion
    Gottgläubig
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Well about time. I once participated in a leafletting outside a circus handing out 'anti' leaflets. The circus in question was using an old chained elephant. The sheeple going in were bemused and sometimes interested in my protest - it was as if they had never really considered that there was an issue. However, the circus 'folk' were predictably vocally abusive, yet it was only the wives and girlfriends who came out and said anything. I guess the strongman was busy that day. And yes, these women were stereotypical trashy types.
    “unless they know, mystically, that beneath the concrete lies the earth which has nourished their race for a thousand years and ... that it is their own earth from which their blood is shed and renewed, then they are a lost people, and easy prey for those who have lacked roots for many centuries"
    A. K. Chesterton

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 01:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Lee Hunter View Post
    Frankly, since American football only teases the barely restrained blood-lust of those who spend so much time and money sensationalizing it, gladiatorial combat solely between humans should be revived. There is no doubt in my mind this 'spectator sport' would provide the ultimate titillation for Joe Sixpack and kin. They could enjoy watching limbs being severed, and screaming participants being disemboweled while shoving junk food down their fat necks
    That's actually a good idea

We could send all the criminals to this (real criminals like rapists, muggers and burglars, not BS victimless crimes drug possession and tax evasion), and the welfare recipients as well
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin