patriotic
    Religion
    there is but one
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hello, ANZACs !

For sure it is worthwhile to commemorate the fallen soldiers of the past without any interference by some dagos and golliwogs.

But what may be asked in a Germanic Online Community is the sense behind a commemorative day that is held for victims of a war of inter-Germanic races.

The Britishers in this forum may object as the true losers of the Great War, but the ANZACs were just canon-fodder for the Britons in their efforts to fight Germany and the Axis-forces. During my prolonged stays in GB I came across a lot of antipathy for the people "down-under", especially in East Anglia where ANZACs obviously left a trace, especially in WW II., that is not that commemorative with the local populace.

At first, Australia was misused as a continental dump for the criminal and / or politically incorrect Britishers. After 2 hundred years of deportation the GB parliament remembered the continent as a source of involuntary conscription as the two public opinion polls on Octobre 1915 and the referendum of 21st Dec.1917 were living proof of Australian denial of British supremacy in their own country.

With no intention to inflict any misapprehension,

Pless
    "Ein Volk, das keine Waffen trägt, wird Ketten tragen!"
    (A populace not carrying arms will carry chains)

Last Online
    1 Minute Ago @ 09:17 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ancestry
    British Isles, Germany
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Judaist
    Religion
    Logos
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pless View Post
    Hello, ANZACs !

For sure it is worthwhile to commemorate the fallen soldiers of the past without any interference by some dagos and golliwogs.

But what may be asked in a Germanic Online Community is the sense behind a commemorative day that is held for victims of a war of inter-Germanic races.
    I say because these men and women show that they don't shy away from duty. They did what they thought they had to, and they did it with courage, for better or worse. All of our people were involved in a fratricidal war, including Germans, yet I still believe all of these heroes of both sides deserve respect and commemoration.

On ANZAC day in particular, it is considered the birth of Australia, a 'baptism of fire'. The first time en masse we had to band together as a country, so we celebrate it, because a certain spirit pervaded in that war that defines the Australian character.

The Britishers in this forum may object as the true losers of the Great War, but the ANZACs were just canon-fodder for the Britons in their efforts to fight Germany and the Axis-forces. During my prolonged stays in GB I came across a lot of antipathy for the people "down-under", especially in East Anglia where ANZACs obviously left a trace, especially in WW II., that is not that commemorative with the local populace.
    I am sorry to here that there is disrespect for us over in East Anglia. But to be fair we're pretty jocular in making fun of the English in turn.

I don't subscribe to the cannon-fodder theory, because one has to remember that those Englishmen who were born in England were cannon-fodder too, as were everyone else who fought in that war from the British Isles. The government here educated me that that's what we were, but it goes in hand in glove with trying to convince us of a heavier Celtic heritage and distancing ourselves from our real English heritage.

At first, Australia was misused as a continental dump for the criminal and / or politically incorrect Britishers. After 2 hundred years of deportation the GB parliament remembered the continent as a source of involuntary conscription as the two public opinion polls on Octobre 1915 and the referendum of 21st Dec.1917 were living proof of Australian denial of British supremacy in their own country.

With no intention to inflict any misapprehension,

Pless
    Again I think it was more the British command rather than the British/English in general. I like this quote from the memoirs of Fahrettin Altay, a Turkish commander in WWI, inquiring about some Australians:
    When we asked 'Are you English?' they replied 'No! We're not English, We're Australians and New Zealanders.' 'Why are you fighting?' 'The English are our brothers. Our language and culture are the same.'
    Also, another thing to note is that the 'convicts' were people who a lot of the time, deliberately stole something as measly as a loaf of bread, so that they could be deported out of the overcrowded and industrialised England to seek their fortune elsewhere. It worked the same as the 'indentured servant' system in the colonies of North America. When a man wished to go to North America but had no money, he would sell himself to the captain of a ship, who would then transport him to North America and sell him to someone there (mostly farmers), then he would work for no pay (but receive accommodation and necessities) for about 5 years, then was given his freedom. Essentially what happened here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12