Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gym Removed from Many School to Make More Time for Academics, but Physical Activity Can Improve Thinking and Reasoning Skills in Children

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 30th, 2019 @ 08:33 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I appreciate the place of physical activity for the young -especially in the age where obesity runs rampant.

That being said, I am not a fan of institutionalized physical education in schools. American public schools are already too enamored with organized sports at the expense of academics. And the same meathead jocks who get all the glory from playing on some ball field are the ones that relish gym class.

I'll admit when I was an adolescent I was out of shape and a little overweight. I hated the fact that I was graded on my physical prowess (or lack thereof) in gym class. Getting a "B" in gym class ruined my otherwise straight A average and counted against the Honor Roll. I don't see why not being able to 200 push ups should be a concern for official rankings.

There should be local youth groups sponsored by the community for physical education and organized athletics. But I really don't see their place in a school system. School is to teach academic or vocational knowledge so they can further their education or get a job someday.

Last Online
    Monday, June 25th, 2012 @ 07:36 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    How is academic knowledge more important then your physical well being? That attitude is exactly why gym is being taken out of school and is directly related to obesity and diabetes epidemics that are killing people around the world... especially in America.

Would doing 200 pushups really kill you? No...

Not being physically fit might...

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 01:52 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Austria
    Subrace
    Nordic-Alpine mix I believe
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Student
    Politics
    Radical Traditionalist
    Religion
    Transcendental Naturalism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo View Post
    No physical fitness at school is the last thing Americans need; the number of fat and out-of-shape folks in the U.S. is out of contol, especially the kids. I can imagine what they'll be like within 10 years and it isn't good.
    As if we don't already have enough fat kids. Oh but of course, they shouldn't lose weight, they should just be accepted for who they are, just like everyone, right??
    Let truth and falsehood grapple...truth is strong-
    John Milton

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 02:03 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOvGermania View Post
    As if we don't already have enough fat kids. Oh but of course, they shouldn't lose weight, they should just be accepted for who they are, just like everyone, right??
    It is criminal to let children get fat...

of course, the parents are to blame

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 01:52 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Austria
    Subrace
    Nordic-Alpine mix I believe
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Student
    Politics
    Radical Traditionalist
    Religion
    Transcendental Naturalism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unity Mitford View Post
    It is criminal to let children get fat...

of course, the parents are to blame
    Of course, it's never bad parenting, it's solely the school systems letting them get fat with putting soda in the lunchrooms, etc... now I do not like the public school system at all, in fact, I can write a book as to why it's evil and needs to be abolished, but that's for another day, and my point is that even though the schools DO, say, put unhealthy foods in the lunchroom, its the parents fault ultimately for letting them eat like pigs. That, and as many McDonalds and Burger Kings as there are, there are also plenty of health-food restaurants and gyms available, so losing weight is NOT some impossible feat. Than again, eating burgers and pizza every day and sitting on your ass all day is even easier, I guess.
    Let truth and falsehood grapple...truth is strong-
    John Milton

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    17 Minutes Ago @ 07:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Y-DNA
    I1a1
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    636 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sefo View Post
    How is academic knowledge more important then your physical well being?
    It is not, but they are two completely different fields within a healthy human development, and should be designated to their own separate arenas. I also don't think it's a good idea to take all responsibility of the child's wellbeing and healthy development away from the parents and leave it for the schools other institutions to take care of. The current obesity epidemic is first and foremost to be blamed on parental neglegence and inability, not too little gym classes and free, healthy food in schools.
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Country
    State
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Žoreišar View Post
    It is not, but they are two completely different fields within a healthy human development, and should be designated to their own separate arenas. I also don't think it's a good idea to take all responsibility of the child's wellbeing and healthy development away from the parents and leave it for the schools other institutions to take care of. The current obesity epidemic is first and foremost to be blamed on parental neglegence and inability, not too little gym classes and free, healthy food in schools.
    I disagree completely. I don't think they should be two separate fields at all. Academics and learning are for the betterment of our future. What is more important then our physical health? The two should not be separated at all. Physical fitness and athletics, with education should be one in the same. There should be even time split between the two. One should not be more important then the other.

In our society, education is billed as the number one priority over everything else really. Which is completely retarded. Physical fitness is your well being, it directly relates to whether you live a long healthy life. What could be more important then that?

And parents are certainly to blame for the kids being fat and out of shape... but society and schools are just as much to blame. If kids are indoctrinated with REAL physical fitness (not just some shitty recess for 30 minutes of play) as well as REAL nutritional eating habits, from the time they start school, to the time they reach adult hood, the obesity epidemic would probably be unheard of as it was 200 years ago. You can not expect parents to be sole responsible for this. Why? Because most parents are fat and out of shape themselves and eat like shit. They are going to do what easiest to shut their kid up. They are going to stuff a McDonald's big mac in their kids mouth to keep him happy so they don't have deal with any difficulties.... such as eating real food themselves and conditioning their body's for real physical fitness. With Burger king and McDonald's on every corner, its never going to happen. society's as a whole and schools have to change from the bottom up before you will see any change in parents.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In our society, education is billed as the number one priority over everything else really. Which is completely retarded. Physical fitness is your well being, it directly relates to whether you live a long healthy life. What could be more important then that?
    We pay taxes to public schools so people can get the academic and vocational training and have an educated work force. We don't pay taxes so kids can be perfect physical specimens.

And I only wish education really was billed as a number one priority. I don't know where you're from, from I'd love to live in a culture where education was actually respected rather than being a front for local team sports.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Country
    State
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorwald View Post
    We pay taxes to public schools so people can get the academic and vocational training and have an educated work force. We don't pay taxes so kids can be perfect physical specimens.
    Yea, and thats exactly the problem. Much much more of our tax money should be going to increasing the physical well being of our people. What good is your education if your going to die at 40 of a heart attack.

Diabetes and obesity are epidemic. I think its time to look more into physical fitness then setting on ones ass all day reading books or studying. Not like that is not important, no doubt, but it is not more important then our body's. No way.

And I only wish education really was billed as a number one priority. I don't know where you're from, from I'd love to live in a culture where education was actually respected rather than being a front for local team sports.
    Thats a huge exageration. How many people who go to college in the US are going to be playing competitive sports?

Education in the media and society's view is billed as the number one thing a teenager can do with his time. Invest in the future and all that.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yea, and thats exactly the problem. Much much more of our tax money should be going to increasing the physical well being of our people. What good is your education if your going to die at 40 of a heart attack.
    How precisely are you going to spend money to do this? What people do (or not do) with their bodies is ultimately their choice. It comes down to a combination of individual proclivity and upbringing.

Education in the media and society's view is billed as the number one thing a teenager can do with his time. Invest in the future and all that.
    Are you opposed to such a message? You'd rather have a bunch of meathead jocks running about showing off their muscles than people who can fill good paying jobs in a post industrial society ...? If so i have nothing more to say.

As far as who society sincerely appreciates though, it always seemed to me the star quarterback or basketball player gets the real press, while the Honor Society or Dean's List student gets nothing (and might even be savagely mocked. The "nerd" stereotype replete through American culture).

It seems like the only people as people in this cultural wasteland of the United States who truly respect education are our Jewish friends. Which is maybe one of the reasons why they exert such an enormous influence beyond their numbers. I'd rather see us as a people churning out lawyers, doctors, scientists and business executives ... even if they might be a little pudgy in the middle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast