Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atheists Are Now Dumber Than Religious People?

Last Online
    Friday, May 11th, 2012 @ 09:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Teutonic
    Ancestry
    Germany, England, Scotland
    Country
    United States United States
    Natural Law
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atheists Are Now Dumber Than Religious People?

"To say something along the lines of 'I'm an atheist; I think religions are not all bad' has become a dramatically peculiar thing to say and if you do say it on the internet you will get savage messages calling you a fascist, an idiot or a fool. This is a very odd moment in our culture. Why has this happened?"

http://www.newstatesman.com/religion...heists-dawkins
    Not even the Westboro Baptist Church is this stupid.

Modern trendy atheists usually talk about "openness" and "tolerance" as their reason for being atheist. And here we have these same atheists, demanding that we should all follow them like sheep.

It doesn't even seem to be a dislike of religion for me, but more like a leftist hatred against spirituality.

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 05:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Yes, it's rather ridiculous when atheism (the trendy Marxist sort) becomes a "religion" of its own.

On the other hand, I still prefer atheism to downright religious mania (although I don't have anything against religious Germanics at all, which is why I don't really get into those Christian vs. Pagan debates). According to religious fanatics, and even a few religious members on this forum, not being involved in religion and spirituality is "degenerate" and "hedonistic". So...

Last Online
    Friday, June 15th, 2012 @ 06:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ethnic Nationalism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Being an atheist myself, it's rather depressing (but entirely predictable) to see atheism turned into a substitute for mass religion. I suppose the crowd-instinct of the average lemming knows no bounds, and any new exciting idea can become a "religion" of its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Saxon View Post
    It doesn't even seem to be a dislike of religion for me, but more like a leftist hatred against spirituality.
    I see where you're coming from. It's a product of modern egalitarianism, this active resentment of spirituality (as opposed to just a clear-minded detachment from it, as I have). The crowd wants freedom FROM absolutely everything. And God is the ultimate oppressor of them all.

I would say it's a trendy resentment against authority as a rule. And against goodness as a rule. I've been seeing this in nearly all aspects of culture, some of which I have noticed myself falling into at times. To illustrate just how common this is, consider comic-book superheroes. The very concept of heroism is so removed from reality that calling any living (and, increasingly, long-dead) human being a "hero" is met with sneers and disbelief, and comments about the proposed hero's various failures. This, I imagine, is equally a case of the popular desire to be counter-cultural. So, the idea of a heroic person is now so hostile to our way of thinking that calling a real person a "hero" is seen as stupid and ignorant, so the only place we accept the concept of a hero is in the realm of fantasy. Movies, comic books, novels. A place where we can excuse our "simplistic" acceptance of the hero as a figure of might and justice by constantly reminding ourselves that it isn't real, and thus we can use said realm to let our ideals flourish in untainted form.

Of course, this is all just a bunch of comic-book characters. Who cares, right? The unfortunate truth of the matter is that these are the closest things we have to the pagan gods and goddesses of ancient times. True, the Indo-European gods did have personal vices (the Greco-Roman ones moreso than the Norse), but they were also embodiments of the best human ideals. The point being: European societies have become so detached from the idea of authority, virtue, and heroism as good things, that we've had to replace what used to be our sense of idealism with something for which we can justify our admiration with the disclaimer "well, it's not real, but I just think it's cool."

Last Online
    Saturday, August 18th, 2012 @ 06:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany (SCH, NRW), England
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married parent
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfadur View Post
    Being an atheist myself, it's rather depressing (but entirely predictable) to see atheism turned into a substitute for mass religion. I suppose the crowd-instinct of the average lemming knows no bounds, and any new exciting idea can become a "religion" of its own.

I see where you're coming from. It's a product of modern egalitarianism, this active hatred of spirituality (as opposed to just detachment from it, as I have). The crowd wants freedom FROM absolutely everything. And God is the ultimate oppressor of them all.

I would say it's a trendy resentment against authority as a rule. And against goodness as a rule. I've been seeing this in nearly all aspects of culture, some of which I have noticed myself falling into at times. To illustrate just how common this is, consider comic-book superheroes heroes. The very concept of heroism is so removed from reality that calling any living (and, increasingly, long-dead) human being a "hero" is met with sneers and disbelief, and comments about the proposed hero's various failures. This, I imagine, is equally a case of the popular desire to be counter-cultural. So, the idea of a heroic person is now so hostile to our way of thinking that calling a real person a "hero" is seen as stupid and ignorant, so the only place we accept the concept of a hero is in the realm of fantasy. Movies, comic books, novels. A place where we can excuse our "simplistic" acceptance of the hero as a figure of might and justice by constantly reminding ourselves that it isn't real, and thus we can use said realm to let our ideals flourish in untainted form.

Of course, this is all just a bunch of comic-book characters. Who cares, right? The unfortunate truth of the matter is that these are the closest things we have to the pagan gods and goddesses of ancient times. True, the Indo-European gods did have vices (the Greco-Roman ones moreso than the Norse pantheon), but they were also embodiments of ideals. The point being: we have become so detached from the idea of authority, virtue, and heroism as good things, that we've had to replace what used to be our sense of idealism with something for which we can justify our admiration with the disclaimer "well, it's not real, but I just think it's cool."
    I respect your form of Atheism. But for the most part Atheists are silly and ignorant hippes who only care about personal freedom. They can't have intelligent discourse. They want to completely throw out any contributions Christianity has made to society. You don't have to agree with the religion in principle to acknowledge its contributions to society
    Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
    Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
    Where is the hand on the harp-string, and the red fire glowing?
    They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
    The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.

Cascadian
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    4 Minutes Ago @ 09:02 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Western-European
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigyn
    Yes, it's rather ridiculous when atheism (the trendy Marxist sort) becomes a "religion" of its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfadur
    I see where you're coming from. It's a product of modern egalitarianism, this active hatred of spirituality (as opposed to just detachment from it, as I have). The crowd wants freedom FROM absolutely everything. And God is the ultimate oppressor of them all.
    Kali Yuga my friend.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 11:14 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Grandparrents Faroese, now live in germany
    Ancestry
    My grandparrents on mother side where faroese, my father was born in munich,
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Heilerziehuingspfleger
    Politics
    no party affiliation
    Religion
    germanic heathen norse
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The big problem is richard dawkins, a former scientist, who couldnt really gvet a foot on the ground in science, at least not as successfully as he had dreamed. So he has started writing books about science and atheism, and got a followergroup, his dawkinites. He formed atheism into a new kind of religion, with him as a kind of prophet.
    Many people follow him, because he has convinced them that being atheist is smarter then being religious, and has given them, a few arguments to follow through. That spawned a range of websites where these people learn their commandments and arguments. It is all quite pathetic^^
    There won't be humans in 500 years. Enough people choke themselves when they jerk off we gave it a name. We ain't a species made to last.

Judging by it´s name common sense must once have been a pretty common thing. When and why did that change, so it became the rare treasure it is today???

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married parent
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Feyn View Post
    The big problem is richard dawkins, a former scientist, who couldnt really gvet a foot on the ground in science, at least not as successfully as he had dreamed. So he has started writing books about science and atheism, and got a followergroup, his dawkinites. He formed atheism into a new kind of religion, with him as a kind of prophet.
    Many people follow him, because he has convinced them that being atheist is smarter then being religious, and has given them, a few arguments to follow through. That spawned a range of websites where these people learn their commandments and arguments. It is all quite pathetic^^
    Well we agree about something, some athesist like Hitchens were at least able to discuss rationally there points of view.

Last Online
    Saturday, June 25th, 2016 @ 06:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    Vinlander
    Ancestry
    Isle of Mann, Lancastershire, the Lowlands/Borders, Galloway, Yorkshire, Wales, Holland
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Radical Traditionalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Not even the Westboro Baptist Church is this stupid.

Modern trendy atheists usually talk about "openness" and "tolerance" as their reason for being atheist. And here we have these same atheists, demanding that we should all follow them like sheep.

To be fair to Westboro Baptist, they absolutely hate Jews. +1.

There is a Norse proverb I read years ago, and I can't remember it exactly but I will paraphrase:

Great wisdom is often found in the mouths of fools.
    But the age of chivalry is gone. That of sophisters, economists, and calculators has succeeded; and the glory of Europe is extinguished forever.

Edmund Burke

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus.
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    11 Hours Ago @ 09:11 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Albion.
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    New York New York
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    'anti-semite'
    Politics
    Republicanism, traditionalism, .
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Honest agnosticism is the way to go as far as I'm concerned; atheists can be as dogmatic and as foolish as any Christian theist.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married parent
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Honest agnosticism is the way to go as far as I'm concerned; atheists can be as dogmatic and as foolish as any Christian theist.
    Do you drink Dr Pepper--acording to south park it is the Agnostic drink

I respct agnostics, sometimes it is harder to say I don't know

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast